Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:42:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin not connecting  (Read 5162 times)
Pietro (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 10:29:13 AM

I have mac osx 10.6.6
I am using bitcoin 0.3.20.1 BETA
and I am working from an office, behind a firewall.

Maybe not surprinsingly I cannot connect.

1) which port if bitcoin using?

2) is that the port in the settings?

I can ask the helpdesk to open up a port for me, but I have to be specific. I asked them to open up a port time ago for another program, so now without the other program working I tried to set up bitcoin toward that port by changing the number in the settings, but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 04:22:06 PM

I tried to set up bitcoin toward that port by changing the number in the settings, but it didn't work.

Bitcoin doesn't have an option to change its own port. Possibly by doing this you told Bitcoin to use a proxy, which would cause you to be unable to connect (since you don't actually have a proxy).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pietro (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 04:49:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. No my bitcoin does not work regardless if I ask "him" to go through a proxy or I ask "him" not to.

Interesting to know that it is not possible to change the bitcoin port. So, maybe, if I were told what the port was I could tell the helpdesk to keep that port open. Also is it the same port that works to receive and to send?

Thanks.
Pietro
Neereus

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 09:04:55 PM

Port: 8333
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: