Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:46:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is a good place to buy some bitcoins quickly?  (Read 2480 times)
Korxax (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:07:58 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy some bitcoins to buy a mining machine.  Most of the manufacturers only seem to sell them for bitcoins.  The problem is I'm fairly new to mining and only have .012 bitcoins  Cry
I was hoping someone here could tell me a good and fast way for me to buy some bitcoins, say about 3.25 bitcoins minimum should get me the device I want. 

Should anyone here want to sell some of their bitcoins. I'd be happy to pay with paypal or google checkout, just let me know how much you want for them and if it's close to the exchange price we can probably work something out.

Thanks for the info!

Korxax

1NtV1q29FtRAYAkMJHMYbASZLiLur2FQe
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:09:39 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy some bitcoins to buy a mining machine.  Most of the manufacturers only seem to sell them for bitcoins.  The problem is I'm fairly new to mining and only have .012 bitcoins  Cry
I was hoping someone here could tell me a good and fast way for me to buy some bitcoins, say about 3.25 bitcoins minimum should get me the device I want. 

Should anyone here want to sell some of their bitcoins. I'd be happy to pay with paypal or google checkout, just let me know how much you want for them and if it's close to the exchange price we can probably work something out.

Thanks for the info!

Korxax

Some options:
http://coinbase.com
https://localbitcoins.com

Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:10:11 PM

localbitcoins is a good place to get BTC.
Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:24:54 PM

I live in a pretty small town, and I have some medical problems that make it so I'm unwilling to drive.  I get Cluster headaches, sort of like having a day long migraine packed into 30-120 minutes and repeat several times a day, or go to clusterheadaches.com if you are curious).  At their worst I get as many as 10 a day, they have slowed down considerably, I'm not even getting one every day anymore, but it's still always a risk if I go out that I may get hit with one.  If anyone sees me with one they end up calling an ambulance thinking I'm having a stroke or something because the whole right side of my face droops and I'm balling uncontrollably while pounding my head on anything solid.  The hospital can't do a damn thing about them so I'd really rather not have to deal with that on top of the head pain, or pay the ambulance bill and the emergency room bill when I didn't even want them called, and that's assuming I don't get committed to the psych ward.  Getting hit with one while out driving would also be bad.  Besides, my wife is at work with the car.  She's working in Seattle a 10 hour day, and it's a 2 hour drive to Seattle so by the time she gets home she wants to go to bed almost immediately and everything is closed.  I guess I should have mentioned I need to be able to buy them online only, and I'd like to have them today or tomorrow at the latest to get a sale price on the miner.

My understanding with coinbase is that it can take a week to get the coins.

Korxax

Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:42:44 PM

Hmmm looking at localbitcons I do see a few people offering online payment... but doing a bank transfer or an unknown pyment system, to some unknown person who may or may not send me the coins makes me nervous.  I got burned on one of those once, the guy wanted me to pay with some fly by night transfer company and I refused only to convince him to use google checkout.  I paied, he never delivered.  Lucky for me I paid google with my American Express card and got reimbursed, but if I had used the service he originally wanted me to use I would have been screwed.  Anyone have any experience with any of these bank transfer guys on localbitcoins?  A specific name of one that came through would make me less nervous.  If I were to lose this money there'd be no chance I can get a decent bitcoin miner.  I'm just starting to climb out of the hole from me with the headaches and my wife was out of a job for 5 months.

Korxax

Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:08:11 AM

I set up on localbitcoins hoping I could find something there.  But they say since I'm new they can only escrow 0.8 bitcoins.  This is maddening!  Huh I seriously am worried about how the masses are ever going to get into bitcoin with it this difficult to buy some when you need it.  Good grief my credit score is like 770 last time I looked at it.  Right after the housing mess when credit was supposedly tight I was able to get a $400k loan to buy a house in 22 days.  There should be some way to easily buy bitcoin without waiting for a week or more and an anal exam.  I only need a minimum of $2400 or so 3.25 bitcoins, I'd like to double that so I can buy 2 miners instead of 1.

Anyone else have any ideas?  Man I wish I was rich.  I start something up that would allow faster access with a credit check.

Korxax

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:49:31 AM

I'm looking to buy some bitcoins to buy a mining machine.
Did you actually make the calculation if this machine, considering the current growth in hashing power of the network, is ever gonna mine back its own price in BTC? Not even considering electricity costs. If within the near future, this thing is not expected to mine the amount of BTC it costs *now*, you're probably better off just buying the bitcoins and keeping those for the time being.

FYI the current Bitcoin network hashing power increases by approximately 2.5% per day.

I'd be happy to pay with paypal or google checkout,
Hate to tell you this, but nobody in their right mind is gonna sell you bitcoins (irreversible) and accept a reversible payment such as paypal or google checkout or credit cards.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
overunity

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:59:10 AM

I set up on localbitcoins hoping I could find something there.  But they say since I'm new they can only escrow 0.8 bitcoins.  This is maddening!  Huh I seriously am worried about how the masses are ever going to get into bitcoin with it this difficult to buy some when you need it.  Good grief my credit score is like 770 last time I looked at it.  Right after the housing mess when credit was supposedly tight I was able to get a $400k loan to buy a house in 22 days.  There should be some way to easily buy bitcoin without waiting for a week or more and an anal exam.  I only need a minimum of $2400 or so 3.25 bitcoins, I'd like to double that so I can buy 2 miners instead of 1.

Anyone else have any ideas?  Man I wish I was rich.  I start something up that would allow faster access with a credit check.

Korxax

I cannot see many people willing to part with bitcoin when you only registered a couple days ago so have no history .

take your time visit the mining section.
What is the rush for mining equipment ?
What manufacturer will not accept cash ??
If you do get the coin you will still probably have months before you see a return ,do some small transactions for coin and build up a rep then it will be easier .
minerva

Activity: 120

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:00:05 AM

Mining is no longer profitable.

Tip-Jar: 15NN2YwMGAntKopJgAsFBJvfuCARkV62xo
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:12:42 AM

I would not be buying mining equipment at this time, unless you have some kind of deal with your local electric utility that allows you to get power at *FAR* less than the usual rate.

Such deals exist; if you commit to off-peak use only, for example, you can usually get something like a 60% discount in some places.  People irrigate fields at night using electric pumps thanks to that deal fairly near here. 

Even if you can do that, you'll probably make money far slower than you now think you will, and you'll watch as the amount of money you make drops off to near nothing faster than you expect.  I'd expect the number of bitcoins generated by mining equipment to drop by half about every two months.  So figure out what you'll make this month, double it, and that's likely to be your gross revenues from mining.  Your net profits will be much less depending on what deal you can make with your power company and whether you can get double use out of the power (like for example paying less to run your heater because you heat your house with mining equipment). 
Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:56:34 AM

The one I'm looking at is 600Ghps, and I haven't seen any of the next generation miners sold for cash.  They all list cash prices, but only accept bitcoin for payment since they are pre-orders.  I know there is a risk that it won't be profitable, but my power rates are low, and at 600 Ghps I should be able to make at least my money back.

I figured the payback at a little over a month at triple current difficulty.  Maybe I'm underestimating difficulty.  The machine wouldn't be delivered until the end of February or early March.  I used the calculator here:  www.bitcoinx.com/profit/  with the default settings for current exchange rate and profitability decline.  I changed the first 2 "1"s to "3"s in the difficulty line, then filled in the price of the miner, my power rates and the wattage of the miner.   I know my uptime won't be 100% and there will be things that slow me down occasionally, but it looks like it should make the money back to me and then anything else they make would be a bonus.  

What am I doing wrong to estimate my return?

I'm very happy to hear your thoughts, you guys obviously have more experience than me.

Thanks for your help

Korxax

drewster

Activity: 74

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:05:36 AM

I live in a pretty small town, and I have some medical problems that make it so I'm unwilling to drive.  I get Cluster headaches, sort of like having a day long migraine packed into 30-120 minutes and repeat several times a day, or go to clusterheadaches.com if you are curious).  At their worst I get as many as 10 a day, they have slowed down considerably, I'm not even getting one every day anymore, but it's still always a risk if I go out that I may get hit with one.  If anyone sees me with one they end up calling an ambulance thinking I'm having a stroke or something because the whole right side of my face droops and I'm balling uncontrollably while pounding my head on anything solid.  The hospital can't do a damn thing about them so I'd really rather not have to deal with that on top of the head pain, or pay the ambulance bill and the emergency room bill when I didn't even want them called, and that's assuming I don't get committed to the psych ward.  Getting hit with one while out driving would also be bad.  Besides, my wife is at work with the car.  She's working in Seattle a 10 hour day, and it's a 2 hour drive to Seattle so by the time she gets home she wants to go to bed almost immediately and everything is closed.  I guess I should have mentioned I need to be able to buy them online only, and I'd like to have them today or tomorrow at the latest to get a sale price on the miner.

My understanding with coinbase is that it can take a week to get the coins.

Korxax

Coinbase is slow for your first transaction, but the process is very easy.

Cashintocoins.com has been reliable but would require you to go to a wells Fargo or bank of America branch.

If you can find anyone on localbitcoins.com that lets you pay with PayPal, that would be good, but it will be tough to find. There are also a fair amount of scammers on localbitcoins.

As a newcomer, Coinbase is very easy and you probably won't get scammed.

BTC: 1CvoqpVjmy7ByCqqkxYqGXuB17wrgR2VKf
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things.  Hey.  The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant."
Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:07:32 AM

My power rates are among the lowest in the country.  .089 per Kwh.  I used .09 to figure the return.  But even if I change it to .2 it only adds 1 day to my break even point.  Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I know you can't really make much money with the current generation of miners, but the next gen is much faster and more power efficient.  The biggest problem that I see is the delay in delivery.  I don't know what the difficulty will be by the time I get it which is why I tripled the current rate to figure my return.  Maybe I should have increased it more.

Korxax

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:33:47 AM

The one I'm looking at is 600Ghps, and I haven't seen any of the next generation miners sold for cash.  They all list cash prices, but only accept bitcoin for payment since they are pre-orders.  I know there is a risk that it won't be profitable, but my power rates are low, and at 600 Ghps I should be able to make at least my money back.

I figured the payback at a little over a month at triple current difficulty.  Maybe I'm underestimating difficulty.  The machine wouldn't be delivered until the end of February or early March.  I used the calculator here:  www.bitcoinx.com/profit/  with the default settings for current exchange rate and profitability decline.  I changed the first 2 "1"s to "3"s in the difficulty line, then filled in the price of the miner, my power rates and the wattage of the miner.   I know my uptime won't be 100% and there will be things that slow me down occasionally, but it looks like it should make the money back to me and then anything else they make would be a bonus.  

What am I doing wrong to estimate my return?

I'm very happy to hear your thoughts, you guys obviously have more experience than me.

Thanks for your help

Korxax

I am not sure which one you are looking at, but a lot will depend on when you get it.  If you could get your 600 GHps tomorrow, then you might be okay at around $2200.  If you get it mid-February, you probably wouldn't break-even.  Many of the miners are way overpriced for the amount difficulty is increasing right now.

Coinbase is probably your best bet right now - you can at least get it started buy buying 3.25 (or more) and then if you find a better way, do that for the other machine.  If you don't, then you'll be on the way to getting some bitcoin.

Good luck!
Korxax (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:27:49 AM

Really?  Did you look at the calculator I linked?  With a difficulty of 3,380,923,195 at $2200 for the miner it shows a break even at 32 days.  At current difficulty the break even was 14 days I think.  Will difficulty be much higher than that by March?  I thought tripling it in 2 months was more than I needed to do.  The calculator supposedly has an algorithm in it to estimate difficulty increasing, I have no idea how accurate it is though.  I see a lot of 60ghps miners on ebay going for $4k+  That I can understand won't be profitable.  But this thing is 10 times that fast, uses only 350 watts and is half the price.  Even if I crank difficulty up to 6,680,923,195 it should pay for itself in 66 days.  Is the calculator that bad?  Other calculators I've looked at showed about the same thing.  When all of the new generation miners come online it could really jack up the difficulty though.  There are some coming out at 3 Thps about the same time and 2Thps too.  But their quantities will be limited for several months at least.

Calculator address:
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Very interested in what people have to say, do you really think that even with the new generation of miners they won't be profitable?

Thanks,

Korxax

T.Eric

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:37:47 AM

http://coinbase.com and  https://localbitcoins.com
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:09:26 PM

i use http://btc-e.com recommended.
overunity

Activity: 198

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:48:46 PM

Really?  Did you look at the calculator I linked?  With a difficulty of 3,380,923,195 at $2200 for the miner it shows a break even at 32 days.  At current difficulty the break even was 14 days I think.  Will difficulty be much higher than that by March?  I thought tripling it in 2 months was more than I needed to do.  The calculator supposedly has an algorithm in it to estimate difficulty increasing, I have no idea how accurate it is though.  I see a lot of 60ghps miners on ebay going for $4k+  That I can understand won't be profitable.  But this thing is 10 times that fast, uses only 350 watts and is half the price.  Even if I crank difficulty up to 6,680,923,195 it should pay for itself in 66 days.  Is the calculator that bad?  Other calculators I've looked at showed about the same thing.  When all of the new generation miners come online it could really jack up the difficulty though.  There are some coming out at 3 Thps about the same time and 2Thps too.  But their quantities will be limited for several months at least.

Calculator address:
http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Very interested in what people have to say, do you really think that even with the new generation of miners they won't be profitable?

Thanks,

Korxax

So many people I see on the forums throwing money at pre orders that never deliver on time .

Check the history of the manufacturers delivery record .
Up to now most manufacturers only seem to deliver once difficulty reaches a point were breakeven is impossible .
Highly suspect they use your money to mine then dispatch them ,I may be wrong but without any proof to the opposite it seems suspiciously likely .

thegolden24

Activity: 98

follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:52:51 AM

LocalBitcoins I would say is the fastest if your in the U.S. I bought today from dscotese and I had my bitcoin within minutes. He had great communication and I even received a 1% discount for offering a choice of two his banks to deposit to. Hopefully this help you in some way.

Bitrated user: ChrisCarreon.
oprahwindfury

Activity: 615
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:49:45 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the info!

Korxax

So you're unwilling to send money to a seller via an irreversible payment method such as cash deposit on Localbitcoins but you expect sellers to take paypal? Really?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: