Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:42:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This Whole Country is Going to be Accepting Bitcoins, and I"M MOVING THERE!  (Read 5172 times)
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 05:48:25 PM

If there's any place you're perfectly safe when there's a tsunami, it's on a floating island.

Try watching some movies of ships in Tsunami's. You'll be surprised...

If you get your knowledge about the world from movies that would indeed explain a lot.

Myself I can do the calculations.

Ships at sea cannot detect a passing tsunami

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Glossary/Tsunami/description_tsunami.html
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 06:52:09 PM

LOL.  these projects are great until something goes wrong like a Tsunami and then they'd expect us to go save them on our tax bill otherwise they'd sue us.

If there's any place you're perfectly safe when there's a tsunami, it's on a floating island.

Yeah, I remember seeing the videos posted by the Navy during the Japan Tsunami. I think the ships rose 3 inches or something, then after the massive wave rolled under it, it settled back down a couple inches.

I can imagine, with no building codes, we won't have much cement on the island. All buildings will have to be earthquake proof, no doubt. It will be fun trying to figure out amongst a bunch of libertarians, how to construct buildings that do not infringe on others.

Talk about a grand experiment!

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:29:49 PM

Yeah, I remember seeing the videos posted by the Navy during the Japan Tsunami. I think the ships rose 3 inches or something, then after the massive wave rolled under it, it settled back down a couple inches.

I can imagine, with no building codes, we won't have much cement on the island. All buildings will have to be earthquake proof, no doubt. It will be fun trying to figure out amongst a bunch of libertarians, how to construct buildings that do not infringe on others.

Talk about a grand experiment!

sorry, I'm no structural engineer -  if ships at sea cannot detect tsunami, can they detect earthquakes?   would a floating city actually need heavy duty earthquake-resistant construction like a city on land next to a fault would?

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 07:49:55 PM

Don't worry guys, there's only a seven-year limit on chargebacks.

I'm sure that won't cause any problems for this venture or users of paypal in general.

Reference: http://consumerist.com/2011/08/paypal-you-owe-us-3841-from-2004-because-we-say-so.html

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:55:21 PM

This place sounds like the city "Rapture" from Bioshock only above water instead!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Will it come with one of these?
ctoon6

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:44:24 AM

as long as the "ground" is able to flex by about 5-10 degrees every 100 meters or so, i think would be adequate to be safe.

you could also make a bunch of platforms and just join them together with bridges, so if one goes down, they don't all go down lol

also, how do you keep the island from floating too much without having to waste a bunch of energy on motors and such?

how about food, import it all? or set up farms?

according to this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_agricultural_land_can_feed_one_person

300 square meters is enough for 1 person. id imaging this would scale some, and allow for dietary variety with about 100 people.

for 100 people thats 30km, square. depending on the meat to veg ratio (although i bet fish would be the main diet thing and i dont know how much that number assumes on hunting and fishing and such)

assuming it takes on average $75 per cubic meter of concrete to be laid, and the land or platform is .5m thick. 75*0.5*30*1000=$1.125m and that is just for the concrete to make the land to grow the food you eat, this would probably be higher, as i have no idea how much that $75 per cubic meter really covers. id guess its like $150 or even $200, as you are laying it in the ocean. this does not cover the cost of buildings or the soil you put on the concrete, along with roads and everything else. from start to finish, id throw out $100m or $50m if you are optimistic. although im sure the number could be in the billions.

another idea is everyone builds their own house or business to working standards and specifications. then people who agree to the same things, like laws and ways of government, simply latch on to each other and make a micro nation. if you do not like the way things and running, move your house or business elsewhere. when you make things this scale, overall it costs slightly more, but the cost load is distributed a lot more. so instead of billions, you talking maby 200-300k for the platform and another 100-200k for the house. if everyone had an efficient garden on their roofs, you could probably cover 10-30% of your dietary needs(one person, not a family).

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 06:20:38 AM

as long as the "ground" is able to flex by about 5-10 degrees every 100 meters or so, i think would be adequate to be safe.

you could also make a bunch of platforms and just join them together with bridges, so if one goes down, they don't all go down lol

also, how do you keep the island from floating too much without having to waste a bunch of energy on motors and such?

according to this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_agricultural_land_can_feed_one_person

300 square meters is enough for 1 person. id imaging this would scale some, and allow for dietary variety with about 100 people.

for 100 people thats 30km, square. depending on the meat to veg ratio (although i bet fish would be the main diet thing and i dont know how much that number assumes on hunting and fishing and such)

assuming it takes on average $75 per cubic meter of concrete to be laid, and the land or platform is .5m thick. 75*0.5*30*1000=$1.125m and that is just for the concrete to make the land to grow the food you eat, this would probably be higher, as i have no idea how much that $75 per cubic meter really covers. id guess its like $150 or even $200, as you are laying it in the ocean. this does not cover the cost of buildings or the soil you put on the concrete, along with roads and everything else. from start to finish, id throw out $100m or $50m if you are optimistic. although im sure the number could be in the billions.

another idea is everyone builds their own house or business to working standards and specifications. then people who agree to the same things, like laws and ways of government, simply latch on to each other and make a micro nation. if you do not like the way things and running, move your house or business elsewhere. when you make things this scale, overall it costs slightly more, but the cost load is distributed a lot more. so instead of billions, you talking maby 200-300k for the platform and another 100-200k for the house. if everyone had an efficient garden on their roofs, you could probably cover 10-30% of your dietary needs(one person, not a family).

You can grow food without land. Check out hydroponics and aquaculture.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:06:45 AM

Here is a tsunami wave for you guys, I can safely say that It's a lot higher than a couple of inches: http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=OdhfV-8dbCE

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:11:29 AM

how do i sign up? i want to live there how much is a 3 1/2 condo on this island

In the beginning, I would imagine they will be paying people to move there, but in the long run, real estate will be difficult to measure. It will probably be like bitcoins. One day a piece of Prime Real Estate will cost you 1000 bitcoins, the next day it will be worth 1/4 of that, and just after you sold it, the value will triple, then a few days later, triple again.

If they use bitcoins, the real estate prices will probably be stable. The will fluctuate measured in USD, of course, like bitcoin.

This could be the first island of stability for bitcoin Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:16:15 AM

The structure would be far enough off shore to be exempt from jurisdictions covering taxes, regulations, building codes, welfare requirements and weapons restrictions.
Until someone marches in an army, that is.

I'd use the navy or airforce.

Other than that: what's to gain for a country to invade this except bad publicity for murdering naive libertarians?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:24:25 AM

Try watching some movies of ships in Tsunami's. You'll be surprised...

There are indeed some videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06huCv3cCaM) that show a big tsunami wave hitting a ship (it survives just fine, btw).

You have to know that such waves only get high when the come close to land (more precisely, when the ocean gets shallower). Further out (where I assume such an island would be built), the wave have the same energy, but are more spread out (wider), you probably wouldn't even notice it passing by.

bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:32:21 AM

It will have to be done by majority rule, even though that sounds primitive. Or, it can be divided into different "ideology" townships, each with it's own set of basic rules and regs. One thing for sure, as long as there are computers and people go between this country and the mainlands, there will be a need for using bitcoins.

moneta

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:50:06 PM

Other than that: what's to gain for a country to invade this except bad publicity for murdering naive libertarians?

Micronations are a threat to the very idea of nation-state.

There have been several instances of such invasions: the Republic of Rose Island was stormed and sinked by Italy in 1968, the Republic of Minerva was invaded and annexed by Tonga in 1972, I'm sure you can find more examples.

Edit: AFAIK no one was killed in either case.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 03:51:07 AM

I hope the richest of the rich all move there,
then I'll jump on the first pirate ship destined to rob that place.  Shocked

It should be legal to do so, or at least not illegal, since international laws does not apply there, right?

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 04:12:32 AM

it's for dudes that come from old money, that don't want to pay taxes.

they will probably get sunk.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 04:51:04 AM

It should be legal to do so, or at least not illegal, since international laws does not apply there, right?

We'll have a "Town Square" set up and waiting for you, with Hemp rope, so your neck breaks and not the rope.

Pirates that try to rob the place will be a favorite around town, when we have our annual "Human Hunt" on the island.

We'll be savage, and we'll be the most savage. After all, there's no law to stop us.

NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 05:41:49 AM

We'll have a "Town Square" set up and waiting for you, with Hemp rope, so your neck breaks and not the rope.

Pirates that try to rob the place will be a favorite around town, when we have our annual "Human Hunt" on the island.

We'll be savage, and we'll be the most savage. After all, there's no law to stop us.
No matter what happens, there is always be leaders and always be followers.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 05:48:49 AM

LOL.  these projects are great until something goes wrong like a Tsunami and then they'd expect us to go save them on our tax bill otherwise they'd sue us.

Oh man you are so smart! Yeah, they'll totally forget to consider tsunamis and storms when designing the platform. Haha LOL.

But seriously, do you even know how tsunamis work? That's a rhetorical question. You'll feel really stupid when you get it.  
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:04:43 AM

Never heard of hydroponics?

http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/30/transforming-shipping-containers-into-local-farms-podponics-brings-produce-to-the-city/
Kolbas

Activity: 342

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:56:56 AM

In Russian "Utopia" sounds like something that is going to sink. Better give it another name
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: