Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:06:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi for paper wallet - offline and online?  (Read 817 times)
somac. (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1209

Never selling

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:38:25 PM

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new Raspberry Pi in order to produce paper wallets. However, since these little computer are so awesome I would also like to play around with it for other uses, such as a media centre.

I realise for a paper wallet to be completely secure it has to made on a computer that has never, will never, be connected to the internet. I am wondering, if I use a specific SD card for the paper wallet (and never go online when using this card) and a different SD card for the media centre (but will go online with this one), will this mean that the raspberry pi will still be secure when switching to paper wallet use.

The Raspberry Pi has no onboard storage at all, not even for a BIOS, so I figure this might be able to be done, does anyone around here know if this scenario would be safe?

Thanks,
jakedeez

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:40:03 PM

google "piper printer"
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:41:09 PM

Yes, that's the same as installing linux on a USB drive to create an "offline" computer.  Of course, make sure you use a reputable rasberry pi distribution image off of a clean computer.  You'll need to connect to the internet to download whatever software you want to use to make the paper wallet, but then you can unplug.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bycy

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:30:48 AM

Are you planning on using Bitcoin Armory? I saw them at the Inside Bitcoin conference in Vegas an their software is made for just this. You can even make an encrypted paper backup of the wallet.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 12:38:02 AM

I googled a bit for booting from a live-cd so there is no writeable media connected, and it looks like that's something this can't do. If you don't want it potentially storing data, you could try unmounting all the drives except for a ram disk you've made. It is hard to guarantee that the OS doesn't swap some data to a page file on the SD even if the wallet processing is only done in RAM.

For paper wallet creation:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=361092.0

Maybe it would be better to make a OS SD card just for paper wallets, and actually use the SD card as a backup of your paper wallets; just never let it touch the internet again and keep it secure. Or set it on fire.

Never connected to the Internet? I will bet every bit of software on it was on the Internet before it got there.

Are you planning on using Bitcoin Armory? I saw them at the Inside Bitcoin conference in Vegas an their software is made for just this. You can even make an encrypted paper backup of the wallet.
Backing up your wallet is not the same thing as making a cold-storage address.
somac. (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1209

Never selling

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:45:03 AM

Thanks guys you have given me much to consider. Linux on a USB is particularly intriguing (great idea for a portable computer). I do know of the Piper Printer, I can just do more myself for less cost.

I'll look into all your recommendations then get back to you if I have further questions. Thank you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: