Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:29:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How will version .9 do away with hardcoded transaction fees?  (Read 1039 times)
minerva (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:08:27 AM

How will version .9 do away with hardcoded transaction fees?

Tip-Jar: 15NN2YwMGAntKopJgAsFBJvfuCARkV62xo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:22:57 AM

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=290
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:29:15 AM

It likely won't.

I think that the long-term solution will have to be allowing transactions to be cancelled and resent with a higher fee. Hardcoded fees fall out of date (and aren't free-market), but I think that it'll always be possible for miners to trick automatic fee calculators into paying more than necessary. So it should be left mostly up to the users to figure out an appropriate fee with trial and error. Transaction cancellation is extremely difficult to add to Bitcoin-Qt, though, so this probably won't happen in 0.9. I don't think that Gavin's fee calculator will be included, either. Fees will probably remain hardcoded for now.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:41:09 PM

I'd rather see "no fee" defaults and then allowing to attach fees to transactions to allow for something like an auction where you bid higher and higher until you get included in a block.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
minerva (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:37:33 PM

It likely won't.

I think that the long-term solution will have to be allowing transactions to be cancelled and resent with a higher fee. Hardcoded fees fall out of date (and aren't free-market), but I think that it'll always be possible for miners to trick automatic fee calculators into paying more than necessary. So it should be left mostly up to the users to figure out an appropriate fee with trial and error. Transaction cancellation is extremely difficult to add to Bitcoin-Qt, though, so this probably won't happen in 0.9. I don't think that Gavin's fee calculator will be included, either. Fees will probably remain hardcoded for now.
In an ideal free-market, nodes can block propagation of blocks that would push fees too high, bankrupting the unscrupulous miner.

t3a

Activity: 179

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:21:46 AM

It likely won't.

In an ideal free-market, nodes can block propagation of blocks that would push fees too high, bankrupting the unscrupulous miner.
What? No? If you don't want to pay high fees then don't make a transaction with high fees. It isn't the networks job to put miners out of business for accepting high fees, that is the opposite of a free market solution.

Advertise here for 10btc/day
minerva (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:23:22 AM

It likely won't.

What? No? If you don't want to pay high fees then don't make a transaction with high fees. It isn't the networks job to put miners out of business for accepting high fees, that is the opposite of a free market solution.
That's precisely how the free market works however.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: