Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 09:14:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Interest Check] - Community website for monitoring cgminer instances remotely  (Read 742 times)
JustJoshin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:00:04 AM

Hey guys,

I have built an asp.net web application, supporting database and server app that allows monitoring of all your cgminer stats across your network in a single web page that can be viewed remotely. This allows remote viewing of all your video card and pool information; hashrates, fan speeds, fan temps, accepts, rejects, invalids, uptime, total uptime of each miner so you can tell how much work a particular miner has done and so on. I am also in the middle of integrating some information from the BTC-E exchange and wemineltc.com mining pool (as that's the pool I mine in) to keep track of where your different holdings are.

Currently I host this for myself and a few friends but am thinking about putting it up on a server somewhere for the litecion community to use for free. All a user needs to do is register an account on the site and download a small console app that they can then run on a single machine. This console app discovers all cgminer instances running on the network via multicast and publishes their data to user's account on the web server.

I am trying to gauge interest in whether the community would find a public service like this useful and am wondering which forum/sub-forum I should post up the relevant information?
timewave0

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:30:28 AM

I use SSH and GNU screen.
deeber

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:33:47 AM

I also use SSH and screen but am looking into cgRemote. Are there any other tools for monitoring multiple workstations remotely and possibly also being able to modify/control them from one place? This is definitely interesting and more monitoring tools are certainly welcome I feel. Would you be willing to post up the source code for this project or are you only willing to offer it up as a service. I think some people might be a little wary of storing some of their rig information on a third party site.
JustJoshin (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:11:21 AM

I think some people might be a little wary of storing some of their rig information on a third party site.

Understandable I guess. But is it really any different to say public pool information on a mining pool like users hashrates and what not. There isn't any private or sensitive information stored by the site or the remote app you install on your local network. A benefit of the remote app is that it removes the need to publicly port forward the miners to the outside world (and having to open up multiple ports). Additionally, the remote app can only do what you've given it access to do via the cgminer api which a user has to set on the miners that they want to collect data from. Currently it doesn't use elevated API privs as it does not make any changes to the miners. I thought it might be useful to be able to remote control them but I was thinking that people may have a problem with this. Thus the information sent to the web server is just what you see on cgminer and doesn't really represent anything overly sensitive in nature.

So far as releasing the source code I didn't have any plans to do it immediately as there is a bit of code cleanup and re-design on a few components I want to do before I check it into GitHub but don't see any problems with doing so. At this stage I was just trying to gauge whether or not there was actually any interest in a publicly hosted service for the community. I'm not trying to hide or sell anything to anyone so I have no problem being completely open and transparent. There's nothing in it for me other than providing a service to others that they may find useful...much like say pvoutput.org which is used by owners of pv solar systems to log, record and compare their electricity usage.

So far as a remote monitoring solutions go though I haven't seen anything that allows a user to get up and running within minutes and only requires installing one little light weight console application. I also have plenty more features planned.

Thanks for the feedback.
Smileyftw

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:43:21 PM

Hey JustJoshin, what your web app looks like ? GitHub ?
wzttide

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:47:13 PM

What OS needs the console app?

Does the console app connect through the cgminer-API to the cgminer-rigs?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: