Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:59:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: asrock z87 fatality killer, more then 3 gpus  (Read 4984 times)
ellave (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:41:03 AM

Hi just got this board & cant get it past post with more then 3 cards installed, anyone got this board or can offer advice...I have 5 cards in total, plenty of Power & all powered molex connectors?

thanks
novymivo

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:31:13 AM

what psu you got ?

1DP6hkRCNoxE15QFfyeqxRk1qu7gX4FzGS
ellave (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:34:56 AM

I have a 1150w aerocool & an antec 650w both gold...trying to get 3 gpu's from the aerocool & 2 from the antec, have managed to get 4 into windows now after updating bios...I think I may get there, albeit slowly.
Drgreen451

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:06:02 PM

Hey i know its been a day but did you ever get the 5th card and get it in the board. I was looking at getting one of these boards for my next machine as i want to run 5 cards maybe 6 with two psu's if windows will allow it.
nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:37:19 PM

What video cards?  Any with Dual GPUs?  I believe windows has a limit of 8 GPU Cores and once you pass 3 they seem to be fickle about the Catalyst, SDK, and mining software versions.....
novymivo

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:41:08 PM

win 7 4 gpu max ( able to do 5 on 12.6 ccc and 2.7 sdk, but if you got r9 280x your win will see r7990 with lower hashrate -550k/hash)
win 8 5 gpu max
All pcie enabled ? look on bios, try change the pcie slots, powered risers checked ?
what drivers ,sdk you got ??

1DP6hkRCNoxE15QFfyeqxRk1qu7gX4FzGS
ellave (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:15:31 PM

Just to update on this, the day after my initial post this board started smoking and took out the cpu with it.  Luckily all the gpus and psu survived.  I returned it to the shop and got a refund.
deathotic

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:20:33 AM

win 7 4 gpu max ( able to do 5 on 12.6 ccc and 2.7 sdk, but if you got r9 280x your win will see r7990 with lower hashrate -550k/hash)
win 8 5 gpu max
All pcie enabled ? look on bios, try change the pcie slots, powered risers checked ?
what drivers ,sdk you got ??

I was able to get 5 to show in device manager but triangle on one. Novymivo care to share which order of slots are ideal for 4-5 gpus?
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:08:36 PM

You need to short ALL the 1 x Slots and then go to Bios and change the PCIE 16x  to Gen2 , Gen 1, Gen 1

In that order and then you can plug anything into the PCie 16x slots.

I was told all 7 are good to go and very stable.
ga6iem

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:25:49 PM

You need to short ALL the 1 x Slots and then go to Bios and change the PCIE 16x  to Gen2 , Gen 1, Gen 1

In that order and then you can plug anything into the PCie 16x slots.

I was told all 7 are good to go and very stable.
Hi, you can describe a connection order in detail? Not really I understand in English (
That means "need to short ALL the 1 x Slots" what exactly it is necessary to make, put crossing points on all PCI-E 1x? So?
http://s30.postimg.org/qhhap8w69/EFOT1_ODK.png
newneo3

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 05:25:08 AM

I have the same board. Use the "System Browser" under "Tools" in the UEFI setup at boot. You can see what slots have cards that are detected. I had to jump all my x1 slots as depicted above to use any cards in them. I used powered risers on the x1 slots.
vvar10ck

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:40:48 AM

gtraah
newneo3
 What OS are you using for 7 cards startup?
gtraah

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:06:23 PM

Can anyone verify that all 7 pcie slots work?  I've been working on this for several days.  I've got jumpers and the changed pcie settings in uefi.  I still get nothing but problems when I install more than 4 GPUs.  I'm runing Ubuntu 13.10, and it won't even boot half the time.
System browser in UEFI does recognize that I have a 5th card installed.

If someone has gotten this to work, please let us know exactly what you did:  Jumpers, UEFI settings, OS and drivers.

I haven't been able to mine much, but help us out and I'll certainly send some coins your way!

I have 7 x  R9 290x GPU's On this Mobo

-Use Windows 8 or 8.1
-Use LBR's modded drivers in the litecointalk forum, which allows windows to have more than 5 Cards, or else you will have 5 working and 2 with CODE 43 in Device Manager
-Make sure The 1st PCI-e Slot you have a 16x - 16x Extendor
-In Bios Make sure Link Speed on PCIE - 16x Are set to Gen 2, Gen 2, gen 2 I was previously told Gen 2, Gen 1 , Gen 1, But I realised Gen 2 Also Works. (I dont know what the difference is )
-MAKE SURE - you Short ALL the 1x Slots
-Make sure Your computer NEVER Sleeps, And Display Never switches Off In Windows Power Options

Thats what I did, And I used Powered risers on all slots, Not sure if that matters but I just did anyway
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:42:48 PM

Can anyone verify that all 7 pcie slots work?  I've been working on this for several days.  I've got jumpers and the changed pcie settings in uefi.  I still get nothing but problems when I install more than 4 GPUs.  I'm runing Ubuntu 13.10, and it won't even boot half the time.

If someone has gotten this to work, please let us know exactly what you did:  Jumpers, UEFI settings, OS and drivers.

I haven't been able to mine much, but help us out and I'll certainly send some coins your way!

I have 7 x  R9 290x GPU's On this Mobo

-Use Windows 8 or 8.1
-Use LBR's modded drivers in the litecointalk forum, which allows windows to have more than 5 Cards, or else you will have 5 working and 2 with CODE 43 in Device Manager
-In Bios Make sure Link Speed on PCIE - 16x Are set to Gen 2, Gen 2, gen 2 I was previously told Gen 2, Gen 1 , Gen 1, But I realised Gen 2 Also Works. (I dont know what the difference is )
-Make sure Your computer NEVER Sleeps, And Display Never switches Off In Windows Power Options

Thats what I did, And I used Powered risers on all slots, Not sure if that matters but I just did anyway

Interesting. While I don't have this setup I do have 5 - 7950's in a machine, Win8, 990FXA-UD5. Can you post a link to the modded drivers?

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
gtraah

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:51:42 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM by gtraah

I have 7 x  R9 290x GPU's On this Mobo

-Use Windows 8 or 8.1

Interesting. While I don't have this setup I do have 5 - 7950's in a machine, Win8, 990FXA-UD5. Can you post a link to the modded drivers?
EDIT: Making sure windows display turns off doesn't seem to matter ,<<<Infact i found it better that it actually does turn off after 1 minute, less power and it doesn't ware your card out as much & Mining continues without a problem.

Here is the link to the Litecoin thread and drivers

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=11761.0
newneo3

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:59:29 AM

gtraah
newneo3
 What OS are you using for 7 cards startup?

Xubuntu 12.04

Jumpered all my x1 slots

UEFI Settings.... didn't touch any over clock stuff, disabled everything I'm not using (ethernet, sound, SATA, etc), disabled USB 3.0 as I assume my USB wifi was causing issues.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: