Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:03:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven Shifts with no blocks  (Read 1050 times)
mjc (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 04:53:34 AM

Is it really possible (or should I say likely) that BTC-Guild with 25% of the mining could go seven shifts with zero blocks found.  just previous to that it went 6 blocks before it found three.

It seems like they may be having problems and just not notifying anyone. (Through their news)

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:41:02 AM

Good I'm not the only one who has been staring at his screen with a tilted puppy dog head today.  Although the pool luck chart is an abysmal %24 right now so it isn't like there is any cloak and dagger stuff happening.

I'm such a n00b at mining I actually emailed their support earlier today because I thought I was broked...lol

Then again if I was mining solo at my pitiful 100gh/s it would take me (on average) 1.6 years to generate a block so maybe I should just smile and STFU.  Smiley

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:01:17 AM

Good I'm not the only one who has been staring at his screen with a tilted puppy dog head today.  Although the pool luck chart is an abysmal %24 right now so it isn't like there is any cloak and dagger stuff happening.

I'm such a n00b at mining I actually emailed their support earlier today because I thought I was broked...lol

Then again if I was mining solo at my pitiful 100gh/s it would take me (on average) 1.6 years to generate a block so maybe I should just smile and STFU.  Smiley

Must go around in waves... Slush's pool had a horrible stretch for a few days last week, 9-14 hour rounds seemed to be the norm. We recovered with a nice, but short, stretch of good luck and things seem to be slowing down again...
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:40:33 AM

It's rare, but bad luck like this can happen. It was being discussed in the BTCG thread in the Pools sub.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:09:41 AM

Is it really possible (or should I say likely) that BTC-Guild with 25% of the mining could go seven shifts with zero blocks found.  just previous to that it went 6 blocks before it found three.

It seems like they may be having problems and just not notifying anyone. (Through their news)

It was two really bad rounds (~4 hours each) in close proximity.  That is not unheard of, and it can be quite a bit worse.  The blocks were 7/8x difficulty worth of shares.  Pools have had 10x difficulty worth of shares to solve blocks before.  And as stated for nearly a whole page in the pool thread:  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pool.  Luck cannot be controlled, and when you have two bad rounds close together it makes the luck for the nearby shifts take a complete dive.  At least the shifts on BTC Guild are long enough that even with those two huge rounds, no shares went unpaid, whereas on ghash.io and BitMinter it is possible to have a share get paid 0.00000000 BTC if rounds like these were encountered.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:50:03 PM

I remember when Ozcoin canceled PPS due mostly to a 9x followed by a 11x difficulty block.  On BTCGuild that would look like all 0's and maybe a 1 on the last shift  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: