Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:26:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UNIWALLET OFFICIAL THREAD: a single wallet for all of your altcoins  (Read 3655 times)
MisterGuacamole (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:27:56 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 01:01:41 AM by MisterGuacamole

Hello! You can call me Guac, I'm a bitcoin enthusiast and programmer of experience, also new to this forum.
I will start by stating that more and more altcoins are being made. It's getting confusing on your computer if you - like me - have many different cryptocurrencies wallets installed. Keeping track of your transactions, account balance and many other things between your Bitcoins, Litecoins, Dogecoins, *Coin wallets is getting tiring and messy. It also goes without saying that downloading the whole blockchain each time you want to try new coins is unacceptable, with its size growing more and more each day. Your time is valuable and wasting it by waiting a whole day before using your wallet is intolerable, I think you will agree with me on this one.

Uniwallet solves all of these problems.

What is Uniwallet?
Uniwallet is a frontend application currently in developpement that will allow you to manage from one simple interface all of your bitcoins and altcoins transactions, addresses, etc.. Designed to be simple with functions like automatic subwallet update detection (and installation upon confirmation), it will be extremely secure and rely directly on the *coind programs and secure server connexion (see the section below). If you trust your Qt wallet, then you trust Uniwallet, since they use the same software for transactions. Also, as I said, a system of plugins is implemented. That means that anybody who wants to see their coins supported by Uniwallet can just write a plugin for it, which should be easy.

How does it works?
Two methods of operation are available, server-side and client-side. Your wallet files are always stored on your computer in specific directories, regardless of which operation mode you choose. A plugin system for adding subwallets to Uniwallet ensure that it's easy to use new currencies, and blockchains are downloaded from the server directly to your wallets if it is your desire (negates the wait time, makes "plug-and-play" wallets).

>Server-side operation:
Transaction softwares (bitcoind, litecoind, *coind) are on a remote server and their use is shared amongst all Uniwallet users. Transactions are made using the Raw Transactions API coupled with RPC, and a secure connexion to the server is used to protect any data. Security is a priority!
https://i.imgur.com/bY04N4K.png
*See RT API: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Raw_Transactions.

>Client-side operation:
You specify where on your computer transaction softwares (bitcoind, litecoind, *coind) are located, and everything related to your transactions is handled localy (without a remote server).
https://i.imgur.com/bs2qfiB.png

Of course, this project is still in its early phase and many things may change with time.

How can I help?
Your input is extremely valuable. Since it's a product that's designed for you, you have your say in its developement. Ideas? Comments? Critics? Post them! They are like gold to me, and I'll seriously consider every one of them.
-> If you think you can contribute with the code (or with anything else for that matter - graphisms, ... - just send me a quick PM and we can discuss.
-> If you would support this project financially, tell me! I may do a Kickstarter/Bitstarter/donation address since it would surely speed the dev/testing phases up Wink

Thank you, and keep rocking!

---
Contact me:
misterguacamole42@gmail.com
MisterGuacamole on Skype

A white paper is on its way, watch thread for the update!
See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=387635.0 for original thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:35:01 AM

[Reserved]
matrixfighter

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:59:11 AM

Hello Guac,

Finally someone is working on this!!! I have posted about same idea a while ago and was looking for programmers, but received little response.

Here are my 2 quarks.  This is how my original idea was different from yours :
1) Built-in auto-trading between currencies:
  a) the wallet would also have a decentralised torrent market, so that people can exchange Quarks for Primecoin or any other coin.
  b) If I have Quarks but the seller accepts only Namecoin, I can pay him that amount in Quarks and he will receive in Namecoins.

2) Plugin for Firefox, Chrome and all the major browsers. So that people can pay online or tip very quickly.  Must have a very intuitive UI, so that average internet user can use it.

3) all the wallets should be routinely backed-up in the cloud, so that people don't loose ALL their money just because their hard drive crashes.

4) Mobile apps - so that people can use their phones instead of credit cards ...just enter the amount and and tap another phone; or just tap the till and confirm -and the money is paid.

You might also want to contact the coin called "Kreditz" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396313.0;topicseen - it's a new coin in development but it will have a completely new type of wallet with loads of  original features like routine payments like Direct Debit etc. You might want to join forces and collaborate.

A word of warning, I would be very selective about which coins should be included by default. There are a lot of shit-coins and scam coins that have recently appeared.  I'd include: Bitcoin, Quark, Litecoin, Peercoin, Anoncoin, Primecoin, Namecoin. The rest should write their own plugins if they have serious developers.

Keep it up!!
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:08:22 AM

Reserved.

hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 07:02:05 PM

Brilliant idea:)
mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 08:59:28 PM

you might want to look at livechains.net. they are hosting blockchains. You might be able to use them as a source. You can submit new coins there if it's not there already.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 12:58:11 AM

Hey everyone, sorry for the late responses.

Hello Guac,

Finally someone is working on this!!! I have posted about same idea a while ago and was looking for programmers, but received little response.

Here are my 2 quarks.  This is how my original idea was different from yours :
1) Built-in auto-trading between currencies:
  a) the wallet would also have a decentralised torrent market, so that people can exchange Quarks for Primecoin or any other coin.
  b) If I have Quarks but the seller accepts only Namecoin, I can pay him that amount in Quarks and he will receive in Namecoins.

2) Plugin for Firefox, Chrome and all the major browsers. So that people can pay online or tip very quickly.  Must have a very intuitive UI, so that average internet user can use it.

3) all the wallets should be routinely backed-up in the cloud, so that people don't loose ALL their money just because their hard drive crashes.

4) Mobile apps - so that people can use their phones instead of credit cards ...just enter the amount and and tap another phone; or just tap the till and confirm -and the money is paid.

You might also want to contact the coin called "Kreditz" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=396313.0;topicseen - it's a new coin in development but it will have a completely new type of wallet with loads of  original features like routine payments like Direct Debit etc. You might want to join forces and collaborate.

A word of warning, I would be very selective about which coins should be included by default. There are a lot of shit-coins and scam coins that have recently appeared.  I'd include: Bitcoin, Quark, Litecoin, Peercoin, Anoncoin, Primecoin, Namecoin. The rest should write their own plugins if they have serious developers.

Keep it up!!
Thank you very much, all of your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Smiley For now I'm trying to put together some money and I'll start asap, a collab with Kreditz is a good idea.

you might want to look at livechains.net. they are hosting blockchains. You might be able to use them as a source. You can submit new coins there if it's not there already.
Alright, I'll look it up!
simonakki

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:42:42 PM

this is really needed. great start and good luck
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:36:23 PM

ill buy you a beer for that wallet  Grin BTC sent

Justinj100

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:30:54 PM

Ran into this thread browsing for exactly what you are talking about!  Im not much of a programmer, I only know some shoddy .net, but if I can help, Im all in.  Maybe step 1) would be a tabbed QT wallet, accessing multiple local *coined? Proof of concept at least. Anyway, HMY if your still looking at this..
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 08:09:53 AM

Is this being actively developed?

mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 02:23:41 AM

Is this being actively developed?

Since no update here snce Jan My guess is no.  Cry

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
mentaldepth

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:45:27 AM

I think if a good coder could make a multi-wallet for all alt-coins including BTC safe, they could add in an internal exchange system that would probably render most exchanges obsolete. Not to mention the potential chance to improve transaction speeds am I right? (if not improve at least be more secure in the sense of not needing web hosting) not a coder myself but this idea did turn up in my head so I googled it.

☣Mental☣
geralth

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 10:19:52 AM

Looking for forwad to hear about ANY progress Cheesy

I would happy to hear one line of code already done Cheesy
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:40:25 AM

First of all, I am very sorry for bumping this thread more than two years after my last post. I am the worst of my kind.

With that out of the way, I am sorry for the sudden interruption in updates, and a big thank you to subseaguru who bought me a beer in 2014... A couple of days after the last time I posted, a lot of problems suddenly appeared in my life and many of my activities had to be interrupted immediately. In all the mess, this project kind of slipped out of my mind. I won't go into the details but it wasn't pretty. Anyways, I just remembered that I had this project going back in the days. To be honest I feel pretty bad about just disappearing like that (without thanking or notifying any of you). I'm sorry. Is there still interest in Uniwallet? I guess that after all this time something like Uniwallet already exists... I saw that "omniwallet" is now a thing but it seems to be an online wallet. Thoughts? Exclamations? Even curses?

Thanks. Kiss
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: