Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Wars  (Read 7755 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:52:42 AM

Whoa, you were consuming 11 of the 10 units of crop you were growing.

Somehow you had gotten into a crop supply deficit. I hope that was an artifact of my various attempts to fix the problem allowing you to somehow slip by or something.

-MarkM-

I thought that was strange too, but really is running a 1/hr deficit a problem if you have hundreds in reserve?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 08:41:31 AM

I thought that was strange too, but really is running a 1/hr deficit a problem if you have hundreds in reserve?

I don't know why or how it could or would be, so probably someday when I re-visit that part of the code I will have a try at adding a check of reserves too. First though I want to wait and see whether what I have done so far actually works, as previous attempts to check whether you are building type 4 (Croplands) mysteriously failed to work. As I have not figured out why they did not work I do not know whether the current attempt will similarly mysteriously fail. Not much point trying to elaborate it with a chack against reserves if the check of what you are actually building still isn't actually working yet.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 02:14:18 PM

This game looks a lot like Evony.

When you play that, you food production can go negative.   It's all good as long as you have enough food in storage.  Once you run out of storage food, then your army guys start to die off.

Also, lets say you have an ally who is reenforcing your village, your food production will defiantly be negative while his army is there.  In Evony, your ally usually sends his troops with a load of food if they will be staying somewhere for a while.

So maybe having a food production of 11/10 is supposed to be allowed...  but he will run out of food in storage eventually and THEN bad things will happen.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 04:39:19 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 04:51:57 PM by markm

Evony sounds like yet another "Travian Clone".

Imperial Warfare is the most complicated "ancient or fantasy era" game I have seen of the type, it has great eye-candy and lots of details like  a whole slew of interesting trade goods your merchants can carry around and stuff but majorly failed for me by having to way to actually trade such stuff with other players.

The edges are starting to become apparent now between what the verbiage talks about and what the code actually implements. The verbiage about being allowed to send food to reinforcing troops looks likely to basically be typical terms stuff people were used to in games of this type rather than actually having to do with how such things actually work in this branch of code.

The weekly top ten stats have not change for example because they seem to be "view source" readouts from some place that actually had such stats, probably intended as a framework under which some day some programmer hoped to put soem actual computation that would plug in actual players and their actual scores where what we currently see is actually some players from some other time and the scores they had when someone who did have a script for computing the top ten ran such a script.

I don't think there any bad things coded to happen when you fun out of food, I expect that is the main reason why the current approach is to make sure you never do run out. Once we have code in place to do nasty things to people who starve then we can see about letting people risk starving.

I have heard rumours that the gtk GUI widgets set has plans to work over HTML 5 in some new or future version, if so we can look forward to actual Freeciv becoming playable using a web-based gtk client and even people who insist on having to be able to use web instead of downloaded clients to play games will be able to move on to actual Freeciv. Smiley

Most advanced worlds of the Galactic Milieu are run on a planetary scale using Freeciv. The entire Crossfire RPG "bigworld" map set would be just one single tile on a Freeciv world, that tile showing on Freeciv scale as a one tile island, probably a mountain with gold, with a city on it. This entire Villages Online map would likely also fit on a single Freeciv tile, though the technology needed to make its edges wrap so the inhabitants do not realise they are just a tile of a larger map is not known to the science-fictional Galactic Milieu. (It is something from the mythical planet D'ydii, a supposed planet of fantasy and magic where such local distortions are known as Gateworlds. The type of Gateworld, it seems, that the Grand Illusionist in the "Between the Worlds" Battle for Wesnoth campaign bundle brings Tourists through from their homeworlds to the world known as Erdya where the Kingdom of Wesnoth is located.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 07:45:10 PM

I just realized that my crop production is way lower than it should be. I have 5 level 1 farms and a level 0. That should be 27/hr, but I only get 14.

edit: To be clear I only get 1/hr after I pay upkeep. It's not 27-14=13. It's 14-13=1.

mameise

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:57:24 PM

all your buildings and troops need crop. so every time u get bigger or build more troops your crop production will be less than before.

big copy of travian, but as travian now has t4 with hero adventures this looks like a nice alternative. but payment doesnt work.
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 08:37:05 PM

I was messing up in ftp, thinking the path I used to put a file applied at both ends, since the uploads seemed to work.

In reality the files were just bbeing dropping in the current path on the other end not put to the path they were from on my end.

Duh. Had been up way too many hours and forgot why my automatic habit had been to cd at both ends before doing a put.

A lot of the changes I thought I had made I didn't actually make so dunno what state the things I had been trying to fix are in right now, have to sort out which files went where they were supposed to and which just dropped in the main directory.

I gotta remember to try to sleep at least once a week whether I need to or not. Smiley

-MarkM-

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:04:02 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 09:16:34 PM by markm

big copy of travian, but as travian now has t4 with hero adventures this looks like a nice alternative. but payment doesnt work.

What kind of coin or fiat would you like to pay how much with?

The payment system was trying to go pay Travian. That is a bit too much of a "clone" I think, though the actual directory it was looking in for the scripts to handle going to Travian's payment site is missing so I guess they didn't really try to copy that, maybe it is mostly that they were trying to write something that players could use their existing Travian "skins" with so they had to provide what the "skins" expect or something.

I think Devana might have a hero adventure thing, all that has stopped me from testing our Devana is the limits my hosting has on databases and so on, I need to upgrade the hosting before I can create another database to check out another open source game, such as Devana.

So hey if you are looking to pay that is great as I am looking for funds to upgrade the hosting. Smiley

I am also thinking of trying to do a "Webnoth", by taking some factions from Battle for Wesnoth and plugging them into this thing, as I am starting to wonder whether this thing is really a clone or at least partly and outright rip of images etc that it should not be using.

(Partly that is the kins again I guess, for example the Roman guy on the logout screen is a direct reference to a travian.org site that I haven't looked at yet to see if its a fan site or actual Travian. The skins, which might be actual Travian skins that Travian users already often have at home for faster speed use, apparently sometimes point elsewhere for images instead of including them. Maybe that is how travian.org counts how many people are using its skins or something.

-MarkM-

Edit: it probably will not be able to collect *coin payments until it is upgraded all the way to a virtual server or even a dedicated server so it can run all the daemons for all the types of coins...

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 09:15:50 PM

all your buildings and troops need crop. so every time u get bigger or build more troops your crop production will be less than before.

Uh, yeah, but it should show the total production less the amount being used up. Instead it shows a lower base number less the amount being used up. I now have 6 farms producing 5 each for a total of 30 and have a drain of 13 yet my net is only 4.

mameise

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 10:07:54 PM

sorry, my english is not so good, so i don't understand everything.

but fact is, that it looks 1 to 1 exact the same as the old travian 3.5 with gold club etc. and the skin is the standard skin.

it shows up where the productions stands. right is for example 12/20 crop

so it means you normally produce 20, but u need 12, so production is 8/h

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2011, 12:02:39 AM by markm

EDIT: The population, but not the troops (or rat anyway) was being subtracted twice.

-MarkM-

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 12:13:59 AM

EDIT: The population, but not the troops (or rat anyway) was being subtracted twice.

-MarkM-

Cool, lots of crops rolling in now.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 12:27:54 AM

I used some of my gold to get a week of PLUS, but I don't see any of the features? What's up? Need turned on somewhere?

indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 12:38:40 AM

Yup...  I seem to be getting the proper crop income now.

I wanted to make my own 'town/village' type game before called BankWars.

You're a banker with a vault as your main HQ.  You can build troops and buildings etc to attack and defend just like other village type games.

But, the twist is that you can store 'bitcoins' in your vault.  The more bitcoins you store in your vault, the more your city gains a 'happiness' production bonus.  Maybe max 10 bitcoins per city. Or max bitcoins as your HQ level.

And maybe your city gets a 10% production bonus for every bitcoin stored in the vault.

When you get attacked, and your city is looted, you loose a percentage of your coins in your vault depending on vault level etc.

But, you can also pillage other cities for their coins if you can break through their defenses.

I would love to play a game where you can pillage someone and actually get something of value as a reward.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 12:55:46 AM

I wanted to make my own 'town/village' type game before called BankWars.

You're a banker with a vault as your main HQ.  You can build troops and buildings etc to attack and defend just like other village type games.

But, the twist is that you can store 'bitcoins' in your vault.  The more bitcoins you store in your vault, the more your city gains a 'happiness' production bonus.  Maybe max 10 bitcoins per city. Or max bitcoins as your HQ level.

And maybe your city gets a 10% production bonus for every bitcoin stored in the vault.

When you get attacked, and your city is looted, you loose a percentage of your coins in your vault depending on vault level etc.

But, you can also pillage other cities for their coins if you can break through their defenses.

I would love to play a game where you can pillage someone and actually get something of value as a reward.

I have seen a few pathetic games no one would probably have bothered playing were it not that the money you looted from others was "real money".

I am not sure looting Bitcoins is a good idea, bit-propagandistically speaking. As a promoter of Bitcoins I suspect I would tend to prefer a game in which pretty much the only thing that can not be looted is your Bitcoins. (Lets not think about Hacker games while on the propaganda trail. Wink)

So I was thinking that although you cannot loot people's P2P coinages because they aren't stored in the game but, rather, at home in the player's own vault and with backups in their family crypts and encrypted on various third party storage systems and email accounts and so on you nonetheless win such coins indirectly, by buying virtual assets with which you can loot other people's virtual assets and try to defend your own virtual assets.

You say banks, but the image that word brought to mind was the hoodlum games. Is there some technical difference between bankers and hoodlums in this context?

The Villages Online game apparently has a Treasury building, they use it to store artifacts needed to build a Wonder of the World apparently. But I was thinking maybe associate the blockchain currencies with that building in some way.

This initial Villages world is tiny, the default size turns out to amount to only some 2500 tiles, so I am figuring it is maybe a training place for training Settlers. Like maybe the whole place it just one tile of a Freeciv world, and the entire population is just one Settler unit in traning; a Settler unit whose government type is probably Anarchy, thus explaining the probably to be expected any time now divisiveness...

I do not know yet now Wonders of the World work, whether maybe even only one can be built with the game ending when it is completed or what. I have not got that far yet. But if so maybe whoever accomplishes that "win" will be the leader of the whole unit of Settlers when it heads out to colonise a full scale Freeciv world or something...

-MarkM-

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 01:13:11 AM

I used some of my gold to get a week of PLUS, but I don't see any of the features? What's up? Need turned on somewhere?

Admittedly not all the advantages listed in the Advantages section of the Plus section seem to be implemented (mostly the larger map it seems, which the programmer evidently planned to implement as karte2.php which doesn't yet exist), most of those I have the gear to check do seem to be present. I am building a rallying point now to check the part about improved vies in the rallying point but most of what I have been able to check so far does seem to exist. (I don't have enough resources currently to try the building queue yet.)

-MarkM-

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 01:22:54 AM

Admittedly not all the advantages listed in the Advantages section of the Plus section seem to be implemented (mostly the larger map it seems, which the programmer evidently planned to implement as karte2.php which doesn't yet exist), most of those I have the gear to check do seem to be present. I am building a rallying point now to check the part about improved vies in the rallying point but most of what I have been able to check so far does seem to exist. (I don't have enough resources currently to try the building queue yet.)

-MarkM-

I'm not seeing a single change though. Am I missing it?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 01:24:08 AM

I have seen a few pathetic games no one would probably have bothered playing were it not that the money you looted from others was "real money".

I am not sure looting Bitcoins is a good idea, bit-propagandistically speaking. As a promoter of Bitcoins I suspect I would tend to prefer a game in which pretty much the only thing that can not be looted is your Bitcoins. (Lets not think about Hacker games while on the propaganda trail. Wink)

So I was thinking that although you cannot loot people's P2P coinages because they aren't stored in the game but, rather, at home in the player's own vault and with backups in their family crypts and encrypted on various third party storage systems and email accounts and so on you nonetheless win such coins indirectly, by buying virtual assets with which you can loot other people's virtual assets and try to defend your own virtual assets.

Agreed, sounds like a good plan. You can still earn coins, but you don't have to worry about cashing them out to keep them safe. You just have to keep your in game stuff secure.

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 01:56:20 AM

Apparently so. The little dash next to the green and orange "Plus" in upper right should have changed to a tick to show you have Plus.

Then if you go looking around crefully you should find little extras in various places, such as an archives option in reports and messages section, the sent button there being clickable to reverse the sort by date order, and a bunch more things all listed in the Advantages section of the Plus section, which I have been annotating with (NYI) for the items that I have found to seemingly be Not Yet Implemented.

-MarkM-

Edit: harking back to the "banker" motif... since the not yet implemented parts were not yet marked as such, maybe we can offer you a discount on your next gold purchase? Tongue

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 02:27:29 AM

Apparently so. The little dash next to the green and orange "Plus" in upper right should have changed to a tick to show you have Plus.

Then if you go looking around crefully you should find little extras in various places, such as an archives option in reports and messages section, the sent button there being clickable to reverse the sort by date order, and a bunch more things all listed in the Advantages section of the Plus section, which I have been annotating with (NYI) for the items that I have found to seemingly be Not Yet Implemented.

-MarkM-

Edit: harking back to the "banker" motif... since the not yet implemented parts were not yet marked as such, maybe we can offer you a discount on your next gold purchase? Tongue

Automated Bitcoin payment + discount = I buy.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: