Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:45:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nxt source code analysis (QA)  (Read 14053 times)
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:10:46 AM

Only a few GPUs.  Let's do a practical test.  Post or PM the instructions.  How many long should the attempt be?  Hours, days?  If it works then you'll have succeeded in proving Nxt to be worthless.

Consult the tables at:  http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/

I'm not that technical.  I'll throw 1 rig of 7950s at it for a day or two if you provide instructions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:02:01 AM

OK, so you admit you are here just trying to figure out how to make a NXT copycat and have no intention of helping. Thanks for confirming my hunch. I am not sure what the right name for someone like you is. I won't miss anything valuable by ignoring you.

You do know the next generation enterprise got totally destroyed. May the force be with you.

James

Absolutely nothing wrong with a copy, if you can improve on the original.

However,  I am not even sure that there's anything worth copying here.

I haven't seen the spec.  and have no idea that it even works.

Why not become a contributor?  I know you have your reasons, and have to dedicate time on your own project, but you seem to know your Java well and I'm sure the group can get you a sizable bounty of Nxt for your input.  Perhaps help to fund your new project.
ferment

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:19:49 PM

@Frictionless.  I see that you know what you're talking about with regard to programming.  In fact, you may very well be a brilliant programmer, but the problem is, no one cares.

Actually he's only demonstrated opinions on programming style and code structure. We haven't seen him present any code or analyze any specific line of code from the released source with meaningful critique. He's only demonstrated that he's read a couple of books or blog articles on code style.

Code speaks louder than words.

lwilliams777

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:07:47 PM

@Frictionless.  I see that you know what you're talking about with regard to programming.  In fact, you may very well be a brilliant programmer, but the problem is, no one cares.

Actually he's only demonstrated opinions on programming style and code structure. We haven't seen him present any code or analyze any specific line of code from the released source with meaningful critique. He's only demonstrated that he's read a couple of books or blog articles on code style.

Code speaks louder than words.

+1
ZeroTheGreat

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:17:02 PM

I am not sure what the right name for someone like you is.
A pocket troll.
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:19:04 PM

gaining transaction fee - Nxt mining - is on the line 6315+? Smiley
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:23:26 PM

gaining transaction fee - Nxt mining - is on the line 6315+? Smiley

No
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:33:26 PM

if it's called "getBlock", then it's on 5137, but I don't know how you call mining there Cheesy
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:39:52 PM

if it's called "getBlock", then it's on 5137, but I don't know how you call mining there Cheesy

generateBlock
Jaguar0625

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:04:50 AM

There is also the potential for integer overflow in places like this:
Code:
			for (Map.Entry<Long, Transaction> transactionEntry : newTransactions.entrySet()) {

Transaction transaction = transactionEntry.getValue();
block.totalAmount += transaction.amount;
block.totalFee += transaction.fee;
block.payloadLength += transaction.getBytes().length;
block.transactions[i++] = transactionEntry.getKey();

}

Although I don't think it's exploitable. It looks like you're only using totalAmount and totalFee as checksums.

NEM - nem.io
liyi3c

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:56:56 PM

can anyone tell me what's the referencedTransaction used for? I just found it is used as conditions checking somewhere
BloodyRookie

Activity: 687

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:25:24 PM

One transaction may depend on another. So if Transaction T1 references Transaction T2 then T1 will not be confirmed until T2 is confirmed.

Nothing Else Matters
NEM: NALICE-LGU3IV-Y4DPJK-HYLSSV-YFFWYS-5QPLYE-ZDJJ
NXT: 11095639652683007953
mczarnek

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:05:52 AM

You guys can ignore FrictionlessCoin.. he's just trying to bring down the price so he can buy in cheaper Smiley

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:59:13 AM

You guys can ignore FrictionlessCoin.. he's just trying to bring down the price so he can buy in cheaper Smiley

He is funny. I even unignored him again.
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:42:28 AM

@Frictionless.  I see that you know what you're talking about with regard to programming.  In fact, you may very well be a brilliant programmer, but the problem is, no one cares.  Why?  Because you have taken it upon yourself as a right to criticize but have not contributed anything productive.  You haven't earned that right yet.  In order to earn the right to be heard you should contribute, even in small amount, not with criticism, but with real productive help.  Once you do that then you've earned the right to criticize and others will actually listen to you.  As it stands, people just think you are a jerk, and using Simon Crowell, a known jerk, as an example doesn't help your cause.  Simon Crowell may be rich and be a star power broker, but I believe he has very few "real" deep long lasting friendships, if any.  

You have not gone about this in an effective way.  If you had played this right you would have contributed in a huge way and others would have sung your praises and others would have gladly signed up for your next generation plan.  In fact they would have become your best sales people and you would have had more folks sign up to help with your development and vision.  But as it stands there are only a few willing to help you and your chances of developing a great system are slim to none.

Why would I contribute to what obviously looks like a Ponzi scheme?

You all first explain to me why this entire shenanigan is any different from a Ponzi scheme?

You are asking a lot of question here Frictionless. Maybe you can just answer on question yourself: Why are you spending so much time on bashing this?? Look at the frequency of your posts. And it's not only this thread. I would say 85% of the criticism on nxt comes from you. You are doing this all day!! Normally PR agencies are hired for such things...
Are you just taking personal satisfaction from from bringing other people's productive work down because you are (obviously) not very profound it doing productive things and have time for it because you are lying around at home unemployed (consider the amount of time you put in here). Or are you a professional trying to bring the price down to buy in cheap? I can not think of any other intention that would make sense. It certainly doesn't stem from worries about the code itself. Someone worried about the art of the code or people would not put his critique forward in such a hating and destructive manner!
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:14:05 PM

@Frictionless.  I see that you know what you're talking about with regard to programming.  In fact, you may very well be a brilliant programmer, but the problem is, no one cares.  Why?  Because you have taken it upon yourself as a right to criticize but have not contributed anything productive.  You haven't earned that right yet.  In order to earn the right to be heard you should contribute, even in small amount, not with criticism, but with real productive help.  Once you do that then you've earned the right to criticize and others will actually listen to you.  As it stands, people just think you are a jerk, and using Simon Crowell, a known jerk, as an example doesn't help your cause.  Simon Crowell may be rich and be a star power broker, but I believe he has very few "real" deep long lasting friendships, if any.  

You have not gone about this in an effective way.  If you had played this right you would have contributed in a huge way and others would have sung your praises and others would have gladly signed up for your next generation plan.  In fact they would have become your best sales people and you would have had more folks sign up to help with your development and vision.  But as it stands there are only a few willing to help you and your chances of developing a great system are slim to none.

You all first explain to me why this entire shenanigan is any different from a Ponzi scheme?

You are asking a lot of question here Frictionless. Maybe you can just answer on question yourself: Why are you spending so much time on bashing this?? Look at the frequency of your posts. And it's not only this thread. I would say 85% of the criticism on nxt comes from you. You are doing this all day!! Normally PR agencies are hired for such things...
Are you just taking personal satisfaction from from bringing other people's productive work down because you are (obviously) not very profound it doing productive things and have time for it because you are lying around at home unemployed (consider the amount of time you put in here). Or are you a professional trying to bring the price down to buy in cheap? I can not think of any other intention that would make sense. It certainly doesn't stem from worries about the code itself. Someone worried about the art of the code or people would not put his critique forward in such a hating and destructive manner!

I actually think some of his posts were productive in the sense that he was pointing out bugs.  He definitely has an agenda and strong knowledge of Java, I think we could give him a collective group hug and try to bring him on board with Nxt.  He could certainly profit from his observations and help the forum dev team here.
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:24:27 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 04:36:25 PM by delulo

I actually think some of his posts were productive in the sense that he was pointing out bugs.  He definitely has an agenda and strong knowledge of Java, I think we could give him a collective group hug and try to bring him on board with Nxt.  He could certainly profit from his observations and help the forum dev team here.

Sure. Agree. Open Arm for everyone Smiley
I was just wondering about the way and the extend one person presented criticism...
ImmortAlex (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:25:41 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 04:39:16 PM by ImmortAlex

He definitely has an agenda and strong knowledge of Java, I think we could give him a collective group hug and try to bring him on board with Nxt.
I see he have knowledge in Java, but do not see any proof that it is strong.
He doesn't found any actual problem except well-known "one big file", "no unit tests", "empty catch blocks", "we all will die".
ferment

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:06:31 PM

I actually think some of his posts were productive in the sense that he was pointing out bugs.  He definitely has an agenda and strong knowledge of Java, I think we could give him a collective group hug and try to bring him on board with Nxt.  He could certainly profit from his observations and help the forum dev team here.

He hasn't actually pointed out a single bug. All he has done is expressed opinions on code style and software project management. It's trolling.

Those of us who do real world software dev know that the issues that he brings up are stylistic "nice to haves" and can be fixed in a few days of refactoring. No big deal. Code structure, documentation, specs, tests, etc, etc are secondary to a working, innovative system.

Instead, we're focused on 3 types of problems:

1. Immediate/critical bugs causing improper functioning.
2. Attack vectors.
3. Logic flaws - injected or otherwise.

Given the track record of the core dev team (BCNext, C-f-b, Jean-Luc), none of his complaints bother me at all. I have some minor suggestions on process (like how to leverage my 100 nodes for testing), but I'm ok with how things are going given Jean-Luc's release tempo.

Everything in this thread and related ones have me extremely bullish on NXT.

msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:03:03 PM

He hasn't actually pointed out a single bug. All he has done is expressed opinions on code style and software project management. It's trolling.

Those of us who do real world software dev know that the issues that he brings up are stylistic "nice to haves" and can be fixed in a few days of refactoring. No big deal. Code structure, documentation, specs, tests, etc, etc are secondary to a working, innovative system.

Instead, we're focused on 3 types of problems:

1. Immediate/critical bugs causing improper functioning.
2. Attack vectors.
3. Logic flaws - injected or otherwise.

Given the track record of the core dev team (BCNext, C-f-b, Jean-Luc), none of his complaints bother me at all. I have some minor suggestions on process (like how to leverage my 100 nodes for testing), but I'm ok with how things are going given Jean-Luc's release tempo.

Everything in this thread and related ones have me extremely bullish on NXT.

Your work and the work of others here has me very bullish on Nxt as well! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: