Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:28:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Im starting a new rig and i need some help.  (Read 885 times)
iarsenaux (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:09:11 PM

Mobo: MSI z87 - GD65
CPU: i5 3.1Ghz
RAM: 8GB
w/ powered risers: 1x to 16x and 16x to 16x

I'm planning to get 6x r9 280x but i don't know which type of card should i get. I don't care if the cards are too noisy. I would like to have 750+ hash rate from the cards

For the PSU, i don't know how much will i need. And is it better to get 1 PSU or combine 2  PSU instead?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:26:23 PM

Let me save you a lot of searching and requesting opinions on this.

# 1 - Don't buy that rig

# 2 - Do one of these two things:

Either pre-order KNC Neptune

or

Buy as many BTC as you can with the money you have allocated for investment/speculation/gambling/burning. Then hold them as they increase in relative value.

Smiley
iarsenaux (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:37:48 PM

How much does a knc neptune cost?
2tights

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:46:42 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 11:57:19 PM by 2tights

Not cheap - I paid 13k for mine, because it'll be delivered sooner than anything ordered now, which is 10k

However, if you research this (also use forum.kncminer.com) you may come to the same conclusion as the rest of us:

The future of bitcoin is unknown, and the factors which dictate possible ROI are, of course, ever changing.

Difficulty, bitcoin price, network hash rate. These are the metrics of concern. Use bitcoin profitability calcs to give you an idea of how this speculative investment might end up.

Its very speculative, but I think that lots of us who bought tickets and are riding this crazy ride believe Bitcoin value will continue to increase which will result in profit. Naysayers will believe bitcoin will either crash completely and be worth nothing, or they believe that the difficutly of mining will quickly out pace these machines and render them to nothing but expensive heaters.

However, you can't be sure... good luck whatever you decide to do and hopefully nobody is spending their mortgage payment to buy an ASIC super computer.

https://www.kncminer.com/products/neptune-second-batch

Edit: maybe some persuasion is in order. I urge you to please research what your proposed hash rate will "earn" you (mined coins - cost = Profit). I must say that very few rigs can be profitable, now. Please don't take my word for it because it's only my opinion based on the information I've gathered. You may come to another conclusion. However, I would hope you'd research this point very seriously before "investing" any money.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:50:26 PM

Those take at least 300W each, right?  So 1800W for 6 -- definitely two power supplies.  Unless you can cut the power or use separate circuits you're going to be over the 12A limit for a 120V plug, unless you're using 240.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Dende

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:57:56 PM

sapphire dual-x 280x is the one to get
hashing and cooling performance is excellent
iarsenaux (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:15:52 AM

Not cheap - I paid 13k for mine, because it'll be delivered sooner than anything ordered now, which is 10k

However, if you research this (also use forum.kncminer.com) you may come to the same conclusion as the rest of us:

The future of bitcoin is unknown, and the factors which dictate possible ROI are, of course, ever changing.

Difficulty, bitcoin price, network hash rate. These are the metrics of concern. Use bitcoin profitability calcs to give you an idea of how this speculative investment might end up.

Its very speculative, but I think that lots of us who bought tickets and are riding this crazy ride believe Bitcoin value will continue to increase which will result in profit. Naysayers will believe bitcoin will either crash completely and be worth nothing, or they believe that the difficutly of mining will quickly out pace these machines and render them to nothing but expensive heaters.

However, you can't be sure... good luck whatever you decide to do and hopefully nobody is spending their mortgage payment to buy an ASIC super computer.

https://www.kncminer.com/products/neptune-second-batch

Edit: maybe some persuasion is in order. I urge you to please research what your proposed hash rate will "earn" you (mined coins - cost = Profit). I must say that very few rigs can be profitable, now. Please don't take my word for it because it's only my opinion based on the information I've gathered. You may come to another conclusion. However, I would hope you'd research this point very seriously before "investing" any money.

Thank you so much for your opinion. I checked their site and it says next shipment will be in Q2 of 2014. So that's 3 to 6 months from now.. and do you know if bureau of customs apply tax if an item was bought in bitcoins and not cash?
iarsenaux (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

Is it better than toxic cards?
iarsenaux (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:19:16 AM

Those take at least 300W each, right?  So 1800W for 6 -- definitely two power supplies.  Unless you can cut the power or use separate circuits you're going to be over the 12A limit for a 120V plug, unless you're using 240.

We are using 220v in my country. I guess i need to see an electrician to help me out on that. Thanks!
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:21:39 AM

Oh -- 220V will work just fine.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Dende

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:46:12 AM

Is it better than toxic cards?
performance/price ratio I believe dual-x is the best. I dont own a toxic card so I cannot compare between the two but I believe its performance is the same if not better.
There are other brands that are good for mining as well, see below
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Flitecoin.info%2FMining_hardware_comparison&ei=KlbHUo-GG6W6ygPFiYL4Bw&usg=AFQjCNFU9eRsFz4uEf6Xf2XOhHB4DrBxzw
get the card listed above with at least 720khs and look for review on the cooling performance. I did a mistake of not researching when buying a powercolor turboduo 280x for mining. This card hardly hits 700khs and runs 10C hotter than the sapphire dual-x.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:26:50 AM

# 1 - Don't buy that rig

or

Buy as many BTC as you can with the money you have allocated for investment/speculation/gambling/burning. Then hold them as they increase in relative value.

Smiley

I agree about buying bitcoins as a good way forward. I don't agree pre-ordering any mining equipment is a good way forward. If the date slips your ROI goes down the toilet.
2tights

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 03:53:02 AM

# 1 - Don't buy that rig

or

Smiley

I agree about buying bitcoins as a good way forward. I don't agree pre-ordering any mining equipment is a good way forward. If the date slips your ROI goes down the toilet.

"If". therein lies the gamble.Also don't forget if difficulty goes apeshit crazy, if exchange value plummets, if etc etc.

But, there could also be a plateau in difficulty, hash power, price could increase exponentially (again).

One promising sign is the rate of adoption for business. Hopefully those trends continue.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:02:58 AM

# 1 - Don't buy that rig

or

Smiley

"If". therein lies the gamble.Also don't forget if difficulty goes apeshit crazy, if exchange value plummets, if etc etc.

But, there could also be a plateau in difficulty, hash power, price could increase exponentially (again).

One promising sign is the rate of adoption for business. Hopefully those trends continue.

Yep one big gamble. I'm pretty sure about one thing though. Difficulty is not going to plateau any time soon Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: