Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:57:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price vs Difficulty  (Read 2118 times)
jed (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

Jed McCaleb

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2011, 10:02:10 PM

I get the impression that many people think that price of BTC is somehow influenced by difficulty.
I actually I don't agree that difficulty going up will increase the value of coins.
The only thing that will increase the value of coins is more actual users.
Miners don't really increase the value of BTC. And difficulty going up just means there are more miners.
It is a misconception is that difficulty drives price. Price is as always determined by supply and demand.
And difficulty doesn't effect the supply of coins since the rate of new coins is unrelated to the difficulty. So it isn't a factor in price

But as price changes difficulty does change. Since as price goes up it attracts more miners.

Price determines difficulty. Not the other way around.

stellar.org   |    twitter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 10:24:50 PM

You're absolutely right.

Interesting subject for a first post (unless you're that Jed, of course).
comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 11:59:30 PM

It is a misconception is that difficulty drives price. Price is as always determined by supply and demand.
And difficulty doesn't effect the supply of coins since the rate of new coins is unrelated to the difficulty. So it isn't a factor in price

Very nice observation. In theory it's true, but I don't fully agree. Most sellers currently are miners. And when selling they set price that they think is profitable for them.

Variance is a bitch!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 12:04:54 AM

Very nice observation. In theory it's true, but I don't fully agree. Most sellers currently are miners. And when selling they set price that they think is profitable for them.

Considers: 300 bitcoin per hours. In a 24 hours period, 7,200 BTC are generated. That mean that the market must move 7,200 BTC a day.

Graph that against exchange charts and we get an estimate.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 01:19:01 AM

And difficulty going up just means there are more miners.
It is a misconception is that difficulty drives price.

But as price changes difficulty does change. Since as price goes up it attracts more miners.
Price determines difficulty. Not the other way around.

However, the stronger the vault the less objection there is to storing wealth within it:
  http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/3573286726 Twitter: @BitcoinMoney

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2011, 01:20:07 AM

The can set whatever price they want, but only prices that people are willing to pay become the actual price.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 01:23:39 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I guess this means we’ll see a slowdown in the uprise of the network’s power and difficulty rate for some time now.
comboy

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 04:05:05 PM

Considers: 300 bitcoin per hours. In a 24 hours period, 7,200 BTC are generated. That mean that the market must move 7,200 BTC a day.

I don't think it must. I mine, but I don't sell.

Btw, I think I just found a chain that was missing in my head. Here it is:

If you want to have bitcoins, you can buy them, or you can mine them.

That's basically it. Verbose version:
Having this choice, you could also hire somebody to mine it for you. But either way, you have to spend money on mining or on buying. If mining gets more expensive, then less people will go for the second option. So that creates more demand, and as you noticed supply is constant, therefore it should push price up.

Variance is a bitch!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2011, 05:18:04 PM

I don't think it must. I mine, but I don't sell.

Btw, I think I just found a chain that was missing in my head. Here it is:

Having this choice, you could also hire somebody to mine it for you. But either way, you have to spend money on mining or on buying. If mining gets more expensive, then less people will go for the second option. So that creates more demand, and as you noticed supply is constant, therefore it should push price up.

Even if a miner keeps them "the market" is still absorbing them because the miner is part of the market. And you aren't going to keep them for ever anyway (I assume), so there will be a day with more new coins offered than average in the future.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
comboy

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 06:14:39 PM

Even if a miner keeps them "the market" is still absorbing them because the miner is part of the market. And you aren't going to keep them for ever anyway (I assume), so there will be a day with more new coins offered than average in the future.

And what if miner keeps them until supply drops?

Variance is a bitch!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: