Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:39:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USER: THYDUDE IS IN THE HOSPITAL.  (Read 6600 times)
mute20

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:05:24 PM

This thread displays why I would not trade with someone anything over 10 btc. Simply cause anyone who has only been on the forums for less than a month cannot be truly trusted. Also someone who makes around 10 posts a day is suspicious also.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:40:32 PM

This thread displays why I would not trade with someone anything over 10 btc. Simply cause anyone who has only been on the forums for less than a month cannot be truly trusted. Also someone who makes around 10 posts a day is suspicious also.

Your last point is rendered invalid.

mute20

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 06:25:27 PM

Your last point is rendered invalid.

You have been here since june so you could be trusted. Also you are not trading for 100$+ during your first 10 days on the forum.... You are also misquoting me also since you failed to read the rest and just choose ,which point that I said was simply suspicious. Someone should work their way up in rep. He was going balls out selling items that are high value.
ampirebus

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:05:23 PM

lmao sounds like NINJA-- is thydude to me...

"he wont go anywhere its too easy to scam people here"

who would say that other than a scammer?
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:42:50 PM

"he wont go anywhere its too easy to scam people here"

who would say that other than a scammer?

Anyone that has read the forum in the past few months? I mean, I remember a year ago, this was a peaceful and trusted land. We didn't need cops or guidelines, we were a small and happy community...

Then bitcoins got valued, attracting interest from every kind of person... EVERY kind of person Smiley
NINJA--

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:03:14 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2011, 10:14:18 PM by NINJA--

Whatever, go point your finger at somebody else. You dont need to be a scammer to have common sense. If he is getting away with it why would he stop? Coolhwip said the same thing.
BrianH

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 07:10:31 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2011, 07:29:52 AM by WiCKeD

User X is in the hospital/sick/dying/had his brain amputated/parents died/grandmother died/dog died/gerbil died. Sympathy ploy to cloud your emotions while he runs away. Old.

Anyone that has read the forum in the past few months? I mean, I remember a year ago, this was a peaceful and trusted land. We didn't need cops or guidelines, we were a small and happy community...

Then bitcoins got valued, attracting interest from every kind of person... EVERY kind of person Smiley
There are scammers on every forum. People just need to use common sense.

As for using escrow with random forum member? I don't know you. I don't know person X. It's a hassle. What if person X is a crook? Time on the forum means little - it's just a name. What seller would do that?

Ways to protect yourself:
1. Trust no one. Use an established escrow service like www.escrow.com. Problem: Not many sellers are willing to go through the hassle or fees. Not a great option.
2. Look at their feedback. If it is only a few, be cautious. If it is eBay, e-mail them through that account to confirm that it is a legit. Someone could create a forum name to match an established eBay account. Also, if it is eBay, check their feedback history to make sure it is not just filled with $0.99 purchases. Even feedback is no insurance. I have been ripped off by someone with years of history and 44 all positive feedback on eBay. Fortunately, I and another buyer recovered our money through PayPal and this virtually never happens. You have to have some measure of trust, but be smart about it. Insurance will help you out.
3. Ask them to ship first. If you have significantly more feedback than them, you have built up more trust than they have. It is a reasonable request.
4. Use Heatware. It is an established feedback system that you can carry with you anywhere on the internet. Quickly check that the feedback is legit.
5. Pay with AmazonPayments, PayPal or credit cards. All of these have a level of built-in insurance protection. Bitcoins have none.
6. Seniority on forums is meaningless - don't trust people, just because they have been around awhile. Have seen established members use that "trust" and run away with people's money. Even moderators. It takes 60 seconds to register a new account on a forum. Sometimes people get in desperate situations and are willing to rip off others.
7. No trade history and they won't ship first - how much are you willing to lose?

I was burned early on, but have lost no money from fraud in at least a decade of trading by following these guidelines.

Be safe, guys.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 07:41:35 AM

i really don't understand the point of this thread. if he's going to scam someone, why make another excuse to say hes in the hospital? he already has everyone's money, the intentions are already there, why make this thread? i really hope scumbags like this do end up with a seizure later on for the karma.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:17:11 AM

I'm still not 100% convinced that it is a scam.  It sure looks like it at this point, but if it is, he's a really dang good liar based on his posting history.  None of it looks scammish at all.  And as haploid pointed out, why even make a thread like this if he's just going to disappear anyway?

Still holding out hope that I didn't get scammed, but I'll probably have to kiss those coins goodbye.  Sad
Pearikay

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:40:16 AM

I'm still not 100% convinced that it is a scam.  It sure looks like it at this point, but if it is, he's a really dang good liar based on his posting history.  None of it looks scammish at all.  And as haploid pointed out, why even make a thread like this if he's just going to disappear anyway?

Still holding out hope that I didn't get scammed, but I'll probably have to kiss those coins goodbye.  Sad

What did you buy?
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:54:35 AM

I thought he's a bad liar...my gut reaction before ANYone said anything about a potential scam was that it was a scam.

Come on, what newb to the forum would come and try to sell $3000 worth of equipment spanning multiple threads in a matter of hours?
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:01:01 AM

Quote from: WiCKeD
5. Pay with AmazonPayments, PayPal or credit cards. All of these have a level of built-in insurance protection. Bitcoins have none.
[/quote

Bitcoin protects legit, established sellers from paypal and CC chargeback scammers.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:55:09 AM

Pearikay, a laptop for 27 BTC.

I thought he's a bad liar...my gut reaction before ANYone said anything about a potential scam was that it was a scam.

Come on, what newb to the forum would come and try to sell $3000 worth of equipment spanning multiple threads in a matter of hours?
Well, guess I didn't do my due diligence research then.  I wasn't looking at what else was for sale.
mute20

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:21:57 PM

I was very suspicious seeing 2/3 threads on the front page for 100+ items. After this thread seeing he recently joined the forum made it more suspicious.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:46:36 PM

I was very suspicious seeing 2/3 threads on the front page for 100+ items. After this thread seeing he recently joined the forum made it more suspicious.

not to mention he admitted to being in legal trouble for criminal damage to property and that apparently was a reason he didn't want his handwriting shown in a picture next to the products.  he feared he could get into more legal trouble.  This is weird in an of itself, but I actually suspect he made that whole part up as well as a really lame reason why he couldn't show his handwriting next to the product.
mute20

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:14:37 AM

not to mention he admitted to being in legal trouble for criminal damage to property and that apparently was a reason he didn't want his handwriting shown in a picture next to the products.  he feared he could get into more legal trouble.  This is weird in an of itself, but I actually suspect he made that whole part up as well as a really lame reason why he couldn't show his handwriting next to the product.

More and more we see he is very untrustworthy. This should be a good example so people don't get scammed. This should just detour people from buying stuff on a whim.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:22:50 AM

More and more we see he is very untrustworthy. This should be a good example so people don't get scammed. This should just detour people from buying stuff on a whim.
Consider me deterred.  :\
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 03:23:52 PM

What came of this? Did anyone get scammed by thydude? I just made an offer on the laptop he is selling today but after searching for his name on the forums I'm not going to risk trading with him. Why isn't his account marked as scammer yet?

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Bitcraft

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 03:50:55 PM

Good question. I see he is back and posting after a month hiatus. Hope he's here to pay people their btc back :p
TyGrr

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 04:24:55 PM

This forum supports scammers, if you get scammed it is your own fault as I understand it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: