Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:41:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEW] Introducing "Hidden in Plain Sight", Limited Edition with 1 BTC Prize  (Read 1451 times)
tothemoonsands (OP)

Activity: 1033
Merit: 658

friendsofsatoshi.com

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:21:57 AM

You. Were. So. Close!

I think enough time has been spent on this puzzle, and so I am happy to provide some much needed resolution.

I first want to address your conclusion: "This puzzle is a fake. Any connection between this puzzle and BTC address is unintentional....A genuine puzzle can only be an original work, non-randomly generated, and intentionally constructed by the mind and talent of an artist. Not made by a JS engine."

The foundational idea behind this puzzle was to find a balance between randomness and non-randomness. Puzzlers can't solve it on wit alone. Brutes can't brute it alone. The key is in reducing the search space given clues and elements from the puzzle within. You are correct that I started with JS as a source of randomness, nearly ensuring that a pure re-creation methodology would not work. What makes this a puzzle and intentionally constructed is by introducing non-randomness. One example is the circle and B. The other is color. Finally, clues.

It is completely possible to reduce the search space given the known non-random elements that I described. To a point where it is viable to solve rather quickly given the right combination and order.

I do admit that as a first time puzzle creator, I could have done a better job in constructing the puzzle. I've learned a lot, and hope to apply it in other crypto puzzles in the future. For one, removing any element of brute force will obviously reduce the technical barrier, and probably make it more fun to solve. Another inherit weakness was trying to find the right balance of clues...how many would be too many? Would certain clues (like seed word # or private key format etc.) tip the balance too far in brutes hands?

It is certainly a brutal puzzle, indeed, but for the value that was loaded on to it - who said it was going to be easy? With all of this said, I believe that truthrevealer has come the closest to solving it as anyone else, so please PM for a partial credit reward of .02 BTC.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: