Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:02:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplest way to buy bitcoin in the US?  (Read 1112 times)
prolom (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:37:05 AM

My orders were twice rejected by coinbase as high risk. I ordered a new visa credit card to try and authenticate myself for them (they don't accept anything other than visa - no discover no amex no debit visa cards).

My MtGox authentication is "20 business days" pending, up from the original 10 days.

Most promising Localbitcons ads use OKPAY which does not work for US (I'm not even an American, I just live here, so I don't have utility bills from other countries...).

Where the hell can I get bitcoins from , securely and relatively fast?

bitcoiner222

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

The world is fantastic :D

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:39:13 AM

Maybe you could give our business a try: www.coinshop.info

Cheers
Bitcoiner222
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:41:53 AM

localbitcoins bank transfer or meet locally
alivecrypto

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:45:30 AM

Why don't you try Local Bitcoins its better and they got escrow service so your transactions are safe. How much you are going to buy and why coinbase reject can you come on details?

prolom (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:50:58 AM

I was trying to buy half a BT a couple of times on coinbase. First order was cancelled. Then I received an email saying that my bank account was verified. Then I placed the second order and it got cancelled too. So I'm waiting for my new visa card any day now.

Bitcoiner222 - what does this mean: "Credit Card and Paypal: Currently there is for that payment method only one amount (49,50€) possible, you will receive 38,67$ in BTC." and, like, why?

I'll try Localcoin again if there is no simpler way.
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:32:53 AM

Try virwox.com you can use Paypal with them although the fees are quite high.

Wink
prolom (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:46:04 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2014, 05:51:02 AM by prolom

Thanks jonanon. Yes the fees are high ($ to SSL, SSL to BTC...) and they restrict you to $100 or so. Plus, because it's a new account there's a manual verification procedure :
  "While most Bitcoin withdrawals are processed instantly, we manually check some of them for security reasons (for example of new accounts). They will be processed within 48 hours. You will receive an email confirmation when the withdrawal has been processed."

WTF? Localcoins offers on the lower end require you to physically go to a bank (imagine that?) with some cash in hand...

Plus, I was kind of surprised there was a coin dedicated to Second Life. Maybe for 23,276.25 SLL I could buy a decent life cause my current one kind of sucks, freaking karma. Next incarnation should be much better if everything goes as planned.

Got Bitcoin?

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 05:35:20 AM

My orders were twice rejected by coinbase as high risk. I ordered a new visa credit card to try and authenticate myself for them (they don't accept anything other than visa - no discover no amex no debit visa cards).

My MtGox authentication is "20 business days" pending, up from the original 10 days.

Most promising Localbitcons ads use OKPAY which does not work for US (I'm not even an American, I just live here, so I don't have utility bills from other countries...).

Honestly, and I wish I wasn't blatantly advertising in a sense, but our website is fantastic, and has info so at the very least you leave informed and with options. http://gryfencryp.to/

Good luck!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:48:29 AM

coinbase is easy, or if you want to do localbitcoins.com.
Neutronic

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:01:53 AM

The most site i've used is Virwox.com but they charge so much it's unreal. At first i thought hey, it's not so bad... buying SLL with my credit card then BTC with SLL, and in a whim i would have BTC's to any address. But one day i got a little mathematically curious, so i proceeded to check the fees that these guys had. A staggering $40 from $220 they charged me... i was amazed... how could something like this not capture my full attention everytime i would make a charge.

About other sites, i don't know because i haven't used any other. If you plan on using Virwox, mind the fees, they are not small.
prolom (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:21:21 AM

coinbase is easy...

coinbase isn't easy for me. Still waiting for a visa card to authenticate myself. Plus - the followup authentication uses some sort of a system that some credit card companies use - they ask questions about what information was associated with my address from 15 years ago, what was the year of my Harley Davidson that was totalled 10 years ago, which color it was, when I bought it and so forth - I can't even look it up because it locks me out for 24 hours... Never mind the phone # and the instant messages, the social security number, birthday,  all of that... Am I blacklisted by the FSA or something?
smartcoin

Activity: 112

smartcoin.io

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 07:04:23 AM

In the past, I've used Virwox and LocalBitcoins. What seemed attractive about Virwox at first was the fact that you could essentially purchase Bitcoins with Paypal.
Although you have to pay some hefty fees going from Paypal->Linden Dollars->Bitcoin. Essentially you're paying .08 BTC to get .06 -- a hefty price to pay.

Since then I've just used LocalBitcoins and chose the most reliable seller.

nzgrant

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:16:00 AM

localbitcoins.com worked well for me.
prolom (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:55:57 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 06:19:17 AM by prolom

So Virvox worked, but only up to $100... Thanks jonanon - fees are very high but at least it worked.

Coinbase gives me an "Address did not match" error for my new visa card no matter how many variations of the address I try, they even have an FAQ on that. Emailed their support. Placed another order for a couple of coins...

I  feel really weird about going to a bank with a bundle of cash for Localbitcoins. It just feels so unlike what the cryptocurrency transactions are supposed to be about.

I guess the currency is so liquid that everyone is trying to cover their ass...
RedBurrito

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:34:36 PM

You can try localbitcoins.com
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:10:47 PM

Localbitcoins have other listings other than the direct OKPAY as there are Bankwires/deposits and Face to face exchanges and you can take a look at those.
publicjud
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:38:52 PM

USD to BTC is a huge hurdle that BTC needs to overcome.  The same with any other cypto currency.  I wish this could get figured out so people can easily trade Crypto currencys when they want.  It's hard enough for knowledgeable people to buy, let alone the average joe.

Join Twetch twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96
NorrisC

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:41:29 PM

Try Local Bitcoins or VirWoX.
prolom (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:01:56 AM

So VirWox worked for 3 transactions of ~$100 and then stopped working. I guess I'm over the monthly limit or something.

Coinbase support wasn't that of much help with the credit card verification issue (although they did reply suggesting to try different address spelling options) and they cancelled my 3rd order. I placed another order for 0.05, I'll see how that goes. That shouldn't be that much risk for them.

I still don't want to use LocalBitcoins but if all else fails I guess I'll have to.

levis_31

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:50:41 AM

I use BTC-e. International money transfer from US bank account to BTC-e account will take upto 10 days, but works fine.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: