Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:12:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zynga.com starts accepting Bitcoin !  (Read 3082 times)
tclo (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:17:10 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2014, 05:42:12 PM by tclo

http://www.coindesk.com/games-giant-zynga-playing-bitcoin/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stuartcharles

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:27:03 AM

that is great news, the start of micro payments. Hope your ready with the fork Gavin  Cool
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:31:12 AM

nice

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:33:04 AM

Depends on how "micro" these micro payments are.

Silly question, perhaps, but how would micro payments work if the default tx fee is bigger than the micro payment?
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:26:18 PM

Depends on how "micro" these micro payments are.

Silly question, perhaps, but how would micro payments work if the default tx fee is bigger than the micro payment?

They wouldn't if the fees were higher than the transaction.

Microtransactions is a broad term , it can mean anything from pennies to things as high as about $9.99.  For games like the ones zynga is offering bitcoin on a lot of the items you can buy are like 99cents  1.99  2.99 etc etc

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:30:48 PM

This is great news.  There was a thread just a few weeks ago talking about how 2014 might be the year that gaming companies start accepting bitcoin as a payment option for in game items.  Only a few days into the new year and it's already happening Smiley.  I would expect more companies to follow.

jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:48:44 PM

Fantastic news, now we need more companies to follow suit.

Smiley
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:06:41 PM

We need more publicly listed companies to start accepting Bitcoin. Zynga is a good start.
tclo (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:11:40 PM

We need more publicly listed companies to start accepting Bitcoin. Zynga is a good start.

Yes Overstock and Zynga so far and got to think it will start to snowball at some point. 
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:31:19 PM

hmmm.... Another story saying a business will accept Bitcoins when actually they are using Bitpay as a payment processor.  If i pay US based Widget Inc £100 for good through Paypal, does that mean they are accepting payments in £, or just providing a method for my £ to be transfered to their $ account easily? 

Maybe its just semantics, but in my view a business isn't accepting BTC unless they are taking a BTC transaction directly to their wallet. 
Frost000

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:43:26 PM

hmmm.... Another story saying a business will accept Bitcoins when actually they are using Bitpay as a payment processor.  If i pay US based Widget Inc £100 for good through Paypal, does that mean they are accepting payments in £, or just providing a method for my £ to be transfered to their $ account easily? 

Maybe its just semantics, but in my view a business isn't accepting BTC unless they are taking a BTC transaction directly to their wallet. 

I fully agree with you that business should go "full BTC" by actually having a wallet. But let's not forget that any business that begins to accept BTC, no matter how they process it on their end, is good for BTC in general.

Besides, from a business perspective, if you don't want to play with BTC's market swings, converting to $ as a transaction comes through makes sense.
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:55:44 PM

People can pay with bitcoin, that's still "accepting" bitcoin as a payment.  For many/most companies it makes sense to use a payment processor because they help reduce the negatives/risks of volatility with bitcoin and they provide instant transactions on most transactions and will eat the loss if a double spend happens , this alone is two big reasons why it makes great sense to use a payment processor.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 03:19:14 PM

nice news and cool video. very smooth transaction.

some infos about the company:

Revenue                     IncreaseUS$1.14 billion (2011)[2]
Operating income    DecreaseUS$-406 million (2011)[2]
Net income            DecreaseUS$-404 million (2011)[2]
Total assets           IncreaseUS$2.517 billion (2011)[2]
Total equity           IncreaseUS$1.75 billion (2011)[2]
Employees            2,846 (Dec 2011)[2]
Website                  company.zynga.com

Alexa rank    Decrease 2,123 (November 2013)[3]

Users             240 million monthly active users, 15.1 million daily active

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:36:12 PM

240 million active users? Is this for real? If so, we can't even dream of any better publicity than this one. Thanks Zynga!
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:37:55 PM

240 million active users? Is this for real? If so, we can't even dream of any better publicity than this one. Thanks Zynga!
if true this is the wordpress of 2014.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:05:28 PM

cool
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:33:47 PM

This is a big news

So since i'm european zynga should accept my euro and not convert them in dollars? They should also accept pound sterling without converting them? Accepting the other hundreds currencies without converting them? And what would they be supposed to do with bitcoin? Pay taxes? Pay salaries?

tclo (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:37:19 PM

And Gox broke out and went up $40 this morning...probably related to some extent.   This is only the beginning too, as we all know.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

More good news I see. More and more bigger companies are noticing and investing/accepting Bitcoin. Great news.
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:45:31 PM

This is a big news

So since i'm european zynga should accept my euro and not convert them in dollars? They should also accept pound sterling without converting them? Accepting the other hundreds currencies without converting them?

That's not what I said at all.  I'm saying that when you pay your € to a vendor through a payment provider, we don't say that they are accepting € but that they are accepting payments through payment provider.  The third party payment provider is accepting the currency.

And what would they be supposed to do with bitcoin? Pay taxes? Pay salaries?

Well yes, thats what alot are advocating.  This is rather the point, until companies do take payments and make payments to suppliers and staff in BTC, its not widely being recognised fully as a currency. 
fiatsux

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:50:11 PM

netflix spotify valve ohmy
tclo (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:53:12 PM

That's not what I said at all.  I'm saying that when you pay your € to a vendor through a payment provider, we don't say that they are accepting € but that they are accepting payments through payment provider.  The third party payment provider is accepting the currency.

The point is if the customer can pay in Bitcoin. It doesn't matter what happens after that.  So if a merchant has someone process their Visa and MC payments, then they don't take credit cards?   That is a little different, but it's still the fact that if you can pay for something with bitcoin, then that merchant accepts bitcoin.
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 06:59:46 PM

This could be BIG Grin for BTC

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:59:59 PM

Zynga needs to hurry up and include bitcoin in their Poker game. Now THAT would be something!

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:18:46 PM

Zynga needs to hurry up and include bitcoin in their Poker game. Now THAT would be something!

that would be a huge news for both bitcoin and zynga, but unfortunately with our laws at least US side won't be seeing this happening till online gambling regulations turn 180
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 07:30:08 PM

Zynga is getting desperate. They had a bad year; laid off 520 people. Their stock is around $4, from a high of $15 in 2012.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:38:51 PM

IMO they are accepting bitcoin directly.  The most convenient and cost efficient method to accept bitcoin is to use an established service such as bitpay instead of trying to develop the system themselves with their own wallet.  Although they will likely turn their revenue into USD, they are opening their services up to an entirely new base of users that they did not have before:  bitcoin users.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:16:39 PM

Good news for BTC's. If Netflix join them and Overstocks actually accept BTC's later there will be a wider use and acceptance and possibly a jump in the Bitcoin Price Tongue .
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:51:15 PM

that would be a huge news for both bitcoin and zynga, but unfortunately with our laws at least US side won't be seeing this happening till online gambling regulations turn 180

Yes, stupid regulations... I bought Zynga stock for $9 in 2011 (or 2012) hoping this online gambling thing would kick off and raise the stock price, but I crashed and burned and ended up selling everything for $4 a few months ago. It was painful... but I put that money in bitcoin so it's at a better place.

Can Zynga allow poker to be played with bitcoin in other countries though? Countries where the gov doesn't recognize bitcoin as a currency for example, or where online gambling is legal. That would be good for both Zynga and bitcoin too.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 09:08:26 PM

zyngacoin.com is available.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:46:45 PM

Still the same strategy: Save the coins and spend with credit card, pay back the credit card with another loan, and pay back that loan with bitcoins several years later

Frost000

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:54:42 PM

Still the same strategy: Save the coins and spend with credit card, pay back the credit card with another loan, and pay back that loan with bitcoins several years later

I truly hope that plan works out for you... It'd be more catastrophic if it didn't work out than if you were to spend a little BTC now. Less risk, even though I myself believe that BTC will rise greatly.
mrdiscression

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

I have started the application process to accept bitcoins on my site with bitpay, I am not a major huge business but i am well enough known gold, silver and jewelry buyer/seller.
www.goldbay.com if anyone wants to have a look

mlgdave
ucerpucerp

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:17:15 PM

That would be awesome for both indeed !
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:17:35 PM

Huge news for BTC, just checked out farmville & its on there.
Ruzka

Activity: 826

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:57:23 PM

Really good new, the more places accepting Bitcoin the better.

Interjekcion

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:08:37 AM

This news isn't as big as everyone makes it out to be I think.

Zynga is a rubbish company. They blatantly copy games all the time and have terrible customer service.

Besides, They don't even accept bitcoins for their most popular games : Farmville(edit: I was wrong) and Online Poker.
black_swan

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:12:00 AM

I can't believe it! If Zynga test this right it will be an example for everybody!
Now some big MMORPG please...
black_swan

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:14:42 AM

Zynga is a rubbish company. They blatantly copy games all the time and have terrible customer service.

Besides, They don't even accept bitcoins for their most popular games : Farmville and Online Poker.

Now which one is true?

Interjekcion, it doesn't matter if Zynga is rubbish or not, what matters is this: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/znga
Interjekcion

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:18:57 AM

Besides, They don't even accept bitcoins for their most popular games : Farmville and Online Poker.

Now which one is true?

Interjekcion, it doesn't matter if Zynga is rubbish or not, what matters is this: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/znga

Hehe, I dont know, maybe I'm just sour because I've had bad experiences with zynga.
TechieCFO

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:43:11 AM

Zynga is a dog. Their announcement, Its just a means for them to hook into the bit coin fever.
That said, it is good news, although bit coin activity from Zynga will not
matter in the long run. They realize there is little risk in relation to the possible marketing
benefit associated with associating their stupid games with the
present fashionable chatter about Bitcoin.

Gaming is not the future of Bitcoin. The future of bit coin should be the buying
and selling of dozens of tankers full of oil or automobiles per year or dozens of Boeing 777's.
But that's not here yet. In fact, there is really no reason to bother with Bitcoin in
multi-billion dollar transaction tranche. So there, Bitcoin is already a niche, a curio in
the shop. Perhaps this will change someday.

However, the Bitcoin can be a tremendous means for smaller transactions which
do represent very material amounts of the world economy. I certainly hope that's
where it goes.

on the other hand, a windfall profit tax of 70% of all Bitcoin revenue put forth by the
US Government would render Bitcoin to a life in the weeds. I hope that does not happen
either, but you all should remember, that is not what JP Morgan or Bank of America
are thinking, and neither are their lobbyists.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:20:03 AM

Ok closet secret I do play Ayakashi Ghost Guild so would want this feature
And any revolution in gaming will expand into other industries due to its impact on culture

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:43:04 AM

Besides, They don't even accept bitcoins for their most popular games : Farmville(edit: I was wrong) and Online Poker.

Doesn't matter how well ran the company is or isn't.

The main point here (at least for me)  is that a company that has large profile company people know about has added their name to the list of bitcoin merchants. That's good for bitcoin getting more exposure and adoption, regardless if zynga collapsed tomorrow or not.

It's also a good indication that the gaming industry in general is getting ready to accept bitcoin. Many people have speculated this for awhile since a big chunk of revenue in gaming comes from microtransactions via in game purchases. Companies tend to mimic each other actions, so bitcoin being an additional payment options in gaming seems to be a trend that will be coming in the coming months.

millionbaby

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:51:09 AM

wow thats a realy good news , since they are selling digital chip anyway
fiatsux

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:10:02 AM

Actually I know for a fact that Steam (yes steam) is shopping Bitcoin merchant services
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:29:36 AM

Actually I know for a fact that Steam (yes steam) is shopping Bitcoin merchant services

To da mooooooooon.... Lol.  Cheesy
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:19:54 AM

"for a fact" hmm?

Do you sleep under Gabe's belly?

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:26:08 AM

They dont offer real money poker games yet thats why
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:21:26 PM

I won't find any use for it. But, I'm sure some people will be using it and it's still a good way for Bitcoin to head.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: