Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:08:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to detect scam ICOs ?  (Read 519 times)
jonalva

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 09:58:36 AM

It is quite hard to detect if the ICO is a scam But still we can try. I will suggest people to go through their white paper thoroughly. Besides do a research on the members of the ico. These may help to find the scam icos.
rdzepc

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 10:03:41 AM

It is not enough just to understand an ICO through white papers and teams. They will buy white papers, create fake team lists, So you need to further analyze whether their projects are feasible and whether their roadmaps are realistic.
jakanalaxtax

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 10:07:00 AM

You can see the white paper, its vision and mission, and most importantly the ceo and the support team or team that joined behind because it is very influential on the success of ico, and if it fails can be a scam.
this is just in my experience.
rahimali

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 12:40:02 PM

Firstly they make a good website for connecting with people .when people are think this project is good for them then they started invest on this project. When ICO fulfill their profit they finished.
Barrueco

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 12:52:41 PM

You can never 100% sure that the ICO is not a scam even they have a MVP (demo, alpha or beta release) or have a solid team and advisors.
But of course, a MVP, a good team, and very known advisors reduce the risk. This is one of the reason for the government regulations for the ICO

▰▰▰▰ BLACK ▰▰▰▰
 ▰▰▰▰ Insurance Company on Blockchain  ▰▰▰▰
http://www.black.insure/
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1588

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 12:54:27 PM

Normally it will be the team and advisors background check the item that will give you the best reference to detect scams. Small teams, no videos, no public appearances,... all that is a serious symptom.

Scripture

Activity: 1303
Merit: 128

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 12:59:31 PM

It has usually a suspicious ANN thread and white paper as compared to those legit one. There are some times that concerned citizens puts link or news on comment if they see something wrong on the ICOs. Its hard to detect this days given the fact that there are hundreds of ICOs existing and there are hundred more comming up.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:02:31 PM

Hello everyone,
Recently scam ICOs are growing rapidly and it has become a severe problem among the investors and bounty participators. Can you guys please tell me how to detect them ?
The truth is?most of the time they are more look legits than those real one i don know how they manage to do such but expertise is what make this possible

Maybe you must learn about this ico first by checking this

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3534750.0
simapple

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:08:41 PM

Hello everyone,
Recently scam ICOs are growing rapidly and it has become a severe problem among the investors and bounty participators. Can you guys please tell me how to detect them ?
Here's what I pay attention to first:
-Idea.Do we need blockchain and decentralization in this or that industry?
-Team. In particular look at of advisers(whether they really are relevant to the project or not)
-Use the token in this project
-How active the project is being discussed in chat rooms and on Bitcoin Talk . Those are the highlights.
fb26

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:15:18 PM

There has been a lot of scams ICO.  reading their whitepaper and website is not enough to detect which one are legit. In my observation most of the legit ICO has lots of exposure .

If the airbot will ask you about your private key then i can say that its a scam because there is no airbot in an ico will ask you your private key.
airdagon

Activity: 546
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:18:17 PM

I only know three ways to detect ICO and I always use this way,
First, find out the website. locate the WHOIS information for the domain and check to see if the logging domain and other login information make sense. You can also access websites such as whitepapers, search for plagiarized content with google and remove techno-babbling.
second, whitepaper. the best way to find a fake whitepaper is to ask someone with technical knowledge to vomit.
third, the role team. the easiest way to check back whether members are just looking for their name in linked and google. If you are still in doubt, you can contact the team member or the relevant discussion. there is no guarantee you will get an answer, of course.
bigvito19

Activity: 706
Merit: 111

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:18:45 PM

today it is very difficult to recognize Scam Ico. first comes the pre-sale. then they have some money and make big advertising for the ICO. they buy good websites and people think it is a great project. all people buy this token and a hype arises. so quickly 20-30 million dollars come together. and when ICO is finished they disappear with the money and write.....we have been hacked  Grin

Lol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin this is so true and but funny though.
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:23:59 PM

today it is very difficult to recognize Scam Ico. first comes the pre-sale. then they have some money and make big advertising for the ICO. they buy good websites and people think it is a great project. all people buy this token and a hype arises. so quickly 20-30 million dollars come together. and when ICO is finished they disappear with the money and write.....we have been hacked  Grin

Lol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin this is so true and but funny though.

Yes that is the truth about ico's but keep in mind that there were no scammers if there were no idiot and dumb people that puts their money elsewhere. We can combat these scammers only we unite and decide not to invest on every ico that we came across, instead we will rather invest only on the most trusted crypto coins like bitcoin and etherium  because these is the only way that we can be safe and to earn a secure profit as well.

Detecting scam ico might be hard nowadays due to their massive number. better avoid all ico to ensure your safetyness.
GDragon

Activity: 658
Merit: 126

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:25:19 PM

It was very easy my friend. You just need is common sense, what the first you will do to get sure is by analyzing the whole project. The involvement of everyone if it is trustworthy or not. The reliability of its platforms and team and how good it is.

maman09

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:31:19 PM

Hello everyone,

I think the scammer is now very difficult to detect early. If the developer is using an experienced manager about ico marketing it can be ascertained by his manager. but this is not an obstacle to ensuring every search is under investigation. try to always try to analyze, read white paper, find out the truth of team and developer. even more on the official business site ico.
Zanuar Erik

Activity: 187

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:46:48 PM

Hello everyone,
reading is the key to knowledge, before plunging into ICO you should read the vision and mission and the products they do in ICO. do a conversation with the ICO team and join the telegram to better know in detail the ICO that has been done.
EHT7500

Activity: 350
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:57:44 PM

It's very difficult to recognize Scam Ico. Not at all a lot of money is a website, They even offer projects. Who prefers to do scam ico will do it like this. First there is a preliminary sale. then they have money and great advertising for ICO and people think that this is an excellent project.
mommysean

Activity: 201

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:22:17 PM

Hello everyone,

It is hard to detect scam ICO.
If it was easy many peoples wouldn't get scammed.
Luckily i haven't participated on scam ico.
HelenS

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:23:05 PM

There is no single strategy for accurately detecting fraud. But you can avoid very dubious ones. Pay attention to the following things:
- MVC – it's good is a team is already working on a product.
- Team – read about their previous projects, skills. Communicate with them directly to know them better.
- Advisors – they should have some experience in ICO projects and good reputation.
- Whitepaper – technical details credibility, reliability of estimates, absence of excessive expectations. Perspective of the idea itself. If you do not understand this yourself, contact the expert.
- Advertising and scale of the project. Pay attention to how much effort and money the team spent on the project. How long-term are their plans. How many languages are supported, how wide the audience is covered, how active the team interacts with users.

Also, social networks of the project: they should be informative, interesting and properly managed. I would add the quality of the website, the feedbacks of the mass media and the ratings on ICO listings.
kucritt

Activity: 616
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:25:12 PM

you need to see first about the purpose of that token, make sure that its good and real, and then you can join the group and read about people think about this project, and then you can see the rodmap, roadmap is the main part of the project, see that the roadmap is make sense and no bullshit on it

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: