Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:37:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you have 2 PSU's connected to 1 Rig?  (Read 5848 times)
grums (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:27:14 PM

Hi,

Im just wondering if its possible to have 2 Power Supplys connected to one rig?

For example, if I had 2 850w PSU's. Could I have one of them connected to 2 gpu's and the other connected to  2 GPU's plus the mobo and HDD? If so, how does this work and how would I go about it?

Also, I have just purchased an AS Rock 970 Extreme 4 Mobo, which has 3 PCIe x 16 slots and 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots. Is it possible to have 3 gpus connected to the PCIe x 16 slots and then another one or two connected via the PCIe 2.0 x1 slots? Or would this be to many gpu's for the motherboard?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Donations : BTC : 13Niw9YieHnEiuVxaVsFEAv4Hsomrs711u
                  LTC : LYaFDMTK5xSohBdBxbidqH9skzNAWFawhD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mrugala

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:29:36 PM

Hi,

Im just wondering if its possible to have 2 Power Supplys connected to one rig?

For example, if I had 2 850w PSU's. Could I have one of them connected to 2 gpu's and the other connected to  2 GPU's plus the mobo and HDD? If so, how does this work and how would I go about it?
Yes, of course it is possible, I would even recommend that -> if one breaks You still have another working, and 2x 750 are way cheaper and easier to access than one 1500W. At least at my place.

How to do that? Just plug 2 cards to first PSU, and rest to 2nd ^^
grums (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:31:59 PM

Yes, of course it is possible, I would even recommend that -> if one breaks You still have another working, and 2x 750 are way cheaper and easier to access than one 1500W. At least at my place.

Thank you for the reply. I am about to buy another power supply, but wanted to check that it would work first. How does it work, do you just switch on one PSU and then switch on the other PSU?

How about the motherboard. Can you have 3 cards connected via PCIe x 16 and 2 cards connected via PCI2.0 x1 slots?

Thanks.

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:36:36 PM

Thank you for the reply. I am about to buy another power supply, but wanted to check that it would work first. How does it work, do you just switch on one PSU and then switch on the other PSU?

How about the motherboard. Can you have 3 cards connected via PCIe x 16 and 2 cards connected via PCI2.0 x1 slots?

Thanks.
You mean PCI-e 2.0 x1 slots? If they are PCI-e too, then yes, but You would need riser cables to connect PCI-e x16 card to PCI-e x1 slot (Riser with x16 female and x1 male)

I would suggest using risers x16--> x16 too on those 3 x16 slots aswell.

grums (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:48:35 PM

You mean PCI-e 2.0 x1 slots? If they are PCI-e too, then yes, but You would need riser cables to connect PCI-e x16 card to PCI-e x1 slot (Riser with x16 female and x1 male)

Hi,

Yeah, meant PCIe 2.0 x 1 slots. Im going to buy some risers this weekend. Does the risers I need have to be powered riseres? For either the PCI-e x 16 or PCI-e x 1 slots? I plan on having 3 gpus connected via PCI-e x 16 and 1 connected via PCI-e x 1.

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:55:52 PM

Hi,

Yeah, meant PCIe 2.0 x 1 slots. Im going to buy some risers this weekend. Does the risers I need have to be powered riseres? For either the PCI-e x 16 or PCI-e x 1 slots? I plan on having 3 gpus connected via PCI-e x 16 and 1 connected via PCI-e x 1.

I saw people recommending powered ones, why? I don't know, if someone could explain it I would be gratefull Smiley
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 03:18:34 PM

Hi,

I saw people recommending powered ones, why? I don't know, if someone could explain it I would be gratefull Smiley

If you use more than 3 cards you should use powered risers.  The reason is that the 24 pin connector might not provide enough +12V current to power PCI-e bus.  Some motherboards have a dedicated PCI-e 6 or 8 pin connector right on the motherboard.  If you don't provide enough power to PCI-e bus, the yellow wire going to 24 pin connector will melt, taking the connector with it.

Yes, you can use 1x -1x in any of the PCI-e slots.

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:27:49 PM

You mean You can use 1x-1x in 16x GPU card when slot is 1x?
af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 03:35:12 PM

1x-1x in any slot.  Some motherboards might require to short two pins.

grums (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:16:15 PM

[/quote]

Thats great, thank you!

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:39:40 PM

will using 1x - 1x instead of 16x-1x affect hashrate in any way, and why?
and same question for 16x slot -  will using 1x - 1x instead of 16x-16x affect hashrate too?
af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 05:47:26 PM

and same question for 16x slot -  will using 1x - 1x instead of 16x-16x affect hashrate too?
No.  PCIe 3.0 transfer rate is 985 MB/s PER LANE in each direction.  That is more than enough for mining.
So 1x is all you need.

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:51:53 PM

1x-1x in any slot.  Some motherboards might require to short two pins.

and same question for 16x slot -  will using 1x - 1x instead of 16x-16x affect hashrate too?
No.  PCIe 3.0 transfer rate is 985 MB/s PER LANE in each direction.  That is more than enough for mining.
So 1x is all you need.

what about PCIe 1.0? It is about 250 MB/s
af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 05:53:11 PM

250MB/s PER LANE

mrugala

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:58:21 PM

250MB/s PER LANE

Yes, I know, but is this sufficient enough? Smiley

Also, lets say the card has PCI-e v1.0 x1 and GPU us PCI-e v3.0 x16. Is PCI-e backwards compatible? Will it work or do I need v.3.0 motherboard too?
af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 06:05:50 PM

250MB/s PER LANE

Yes, I know, but is this sufficient enough? Smiley

Also, lets say the card has PCI-e v1.0 x1 and GPU us PCI-e v3.0 x16. Is PCI-e backwards compatible? Will it work or do I need v.3.0 motherboard too?

miner loads KBs  to GPU kernel to execute,  the responses are very small.  Passing bytes back and forth.

1MB/s would be more than enough.

You can put 1.0 device in 3.0 slot or 3.0 device in 1.0 slot.  The result is the same: 1.0 device and speed.

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 08:49:19 PM

My advice that you and others may or may not agree with: forget risers, dual-psu and shorting pins. The motherboard supports 3 cards, put 3 cards.

Let's say you want a setup with 5 - 6 280x cards.
Another base motherboard + CPU (e.g. Sempron 190) + ram + boot pendrive costs ~$200. You'd obviously not need a 2nd base system and save those $200 if you use risers and the dual-psu. However you're paying for risers and Add2PSU adapter that will be worthless when you end mining, shorting pins (you may fry a motherboard this way) or pay more for better risers, running the motherboard out of spec, and concentrating all your hash power on a single point of failure.

Make sure you undervolt the cards and use a large fan nearby.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
grums (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:11:50 PM

My advice that you and others may or may not agree with: forget risers, dual-psu and shorting pins. The motherboard supports 3 cards, put 3 cards.

Let's say you want a setup with 5 - 6 280x cards.
Another base motherboard + CPU (e.g. Sempron 190) + ram + boot pendrive costs ~$200. You'd obviously not need a 2nd base system and save those $200 if you use risers and the dual-psu. However you're paying for risers and Add2PSU adapter that will be worthless when you end mining, shorting pins (you may fry a motherboard this way) or pay more for better risers, running the motherboard out of spec, and concentrating all your hash power on a single point of failure.

Make sure you undervolt the cards and use a large fan nearby.

Thanks for the reply, was helpful.

Just wondering, how do you undervolt the cards?

af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 10:42:59 PM

if you use risers and the dual-psu. However you're paying for risers and Add2PSU adapter that will be worthless when you end mining

You don't need Add2PSU.  Just use paper clip to short green and black wires in 24 pin ATX connector.  Plug both PSUs to the same power bar/surge protector and flip the switch to turn both of them at the time.  That adapter is useless.

You are right about that 3 cards per motherboard simplifies things.   No support racks to hold the GPUs.  One PSU per rig.
But if you are building 10+ rigs, space is a factor so you want to run more than 3 cards per motherboard.  Ideally, 5-6 cards per system.
Whatever you can squeeze on the same 15A@120V circuit.

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:51:33 PM

if you use risers and the dual-psu. However you're paying for risers and Add2PSU adapter that will be worthless when you end mining

You don't need Add2PSU.  Just use paper clip to short green and black wires in 24 pin ATX connector.  Plug both PSUs to the same power bar/surge protector and flip the switch to turn both of them at the time.  That adapter is useless.

You are right about that 3 cards per motherboard simplifies things.   No support racks to hold the GPUs.  One PSU per rig.
But if you are building 10+ rigs, space is a factor so you want to run more than 3 cards per motherboard.  Ideally, 5-6 cards per system.
Whatever you can squeeze on the same 15A@120V circuit.
Understand that shorting pins on power supplies is yet another point of failure and asking for trouble if one is a newbie/intermediate miner. I don't disagree with your post and perspective though.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██