Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 03:22:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blk*.dat  (Read 591 times)
dhunter (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:15:28 PM

Hey

I am getting out of disc space.....

After i have opened my bitcoin wallet to many times I guess I have a lot of files in my bitcoin folder like this: blk0009.dat.

Can the old blk*.dat files dated many months back be safely deleted and not messing things up?

Thanks
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:26:52 PM

Hey

I am getting out of disc space.....

After i have opened my bitcoin wallet to many times I guess I have a lot of files in my bitcoin folder like this: blk0009.dat.

Can the old blk*.dat files dated many months back be safely deleted and not messing things up?

Thanks

Just backup your wallet.dat and then delete the client or files if you need the space.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:39:30 AM

Don't delete the blknnnnn.dat files if you want to continue to use Bitcoin-Qt.  Those are the block chain files and will just be downloaded again if you delete them.  They stretch the whole way back to the genesis block when Satoshi created Bitcoin.  If you want to run a lightweight client such as MultiBit, then you can safely delete all of the files after exporting your private keys (you'll need to import them into MultiBit or you could just send the coins from your Bitcoin-Qt wallet to your MultiBit wallet before deleting anything).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: