Bitcoin Forum
July 26, 2024, 11:56:08 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: End of the ALT coins hype?  (Read 1759 times)
Dallas5 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:12:30 AM

Looking at the exchanges a lot of alt coins are going down in price.

Many alt coins, you know who they are, are just created to (pre)mine fast and then dump millions and sell as soon as it hits an exchange. The devs earn a few $1000 real dollars and everyone else was tricked into thinking it was going to be the best coin ever, leaving them with coins not even worth a satoshi.

Some coins are looking stable like anoncoin, novacoin, etc. but most of the other coins will die out in a few months and I believe people are getting sick of new coins and the hype will soon be gone.

The only coin still standing strong like a giant and rising to the moon is BTC. It's used in real world stores and even your grandma has probably heard of Bitcoin. Another one is LTC, but that coin looks like a backup coin, ready to take over if anything happens to BTC.

What do you think?

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:15:28 AM

I think the coin exchanges are going to get a bit more picky from now on. I get the feeling that they don't want coins stuck at a satoshi for weeks on end on their exchanges with nobody buying them.

Either they need to reduce the limit of coins that can be sold as a percentage of the total available for that coin, or stop listing heavily premined highly circulated coins.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Dallas5 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:18:55 AM

I think the coin exchanges are going to get a bit more picky from now on. I get the feeling that they don't want coins stuck at a satoshi for weeks on end on their exchanges with nobody buying them.

Either they need to reduce the limit of coins that can be sold as a percentage of the total available for that coin, or stop listing heavily premined highly circulated coins.

They may have some profit from them in the beginning, but as soon as a coin drops below 5 satoshi it's just a waste of bandwidth.

hypostatization

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:19:55 AM

I am most concerned by what this may mean for mining. I dislike the trend, but also wonder if it is necessary to sustain mining profitability---assuming the hype itself can best sustained. It leads me to worry that there may be a flaw in the assumption small-scale mining may always be viable. I hope that future innovations help keep mining decentralized.

ASICs, botnets, and disproportionaly powerful pools like ghash.io are all concerns that I hope to see future currencies address.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
Nullu

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:22:52 AM

They may have some profit from them in the beginning, but as soon as a coin drops below 5 satoshi it's just a waste of bandwidth.

There's just too many coins. When the preminers have coins in their hundreds of millions that took them a mere hour or two to mine, they're happy to dump them for a Satoshi. The devs are happy also because they also don't mind dumping at a Satoshi. The coin is designed to be quickly sold and quickly discarded. The only ones want to keep it are the people who have fooled themselves into believing it's worth anything. No coin like that stands a chance because by the time it does, the next big copycoin comes along, does the same thing, and it happens all over again. They'll never go up in value if nobody wants to buy them. It's creating a massive inflation wall that takes a long time to break down in a world where a new altcoin is coming out every few hours. They're garbage.

frambelicious

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:23:19 AM

I think the same topic was discussed already since the first altcoin was alive, and will be discussed as long as altcoins are issued Smiley Think of Terracoin TRC: it was practically dead and is now playing among the big ones.

The current decline is actually not so dramatic, I think. The recent decline of BTC and the big number of new coins (some even showing new features or giving a lesson in marketing) are one factor. I think a bigger factor is this new pooling concept: mine altcoins and sell them directly for BTC, killing the prices for altcoins.

But in the end they still do well.

My view Smiley
bitrebel

Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:25:39 AM

Altcoins are a necessary evil.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
nastybit

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

You already said it, alts go down when BTC go up, simple as that and it's the trend we saw many times.
Don't underestimate LTC or scrypt in general, ASICs will be a game changer again
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:30:50 AM

FRK is accepted in 10 brick and mortar Pawnshops in atlanta georgia and the dev will be speaking to over 200 business owners about the benefits of virtual currency

oh and he just did an interview yesterday with the news paper in his city.

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
decrypter

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:50:03 AM

<sarcasm>Yes its the end. Sell all your coins.</saracasm>
Coinsy

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:53:14 AM

No this is the beginning.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:59:06 AM

Coinye finds your lack of faith disturbing.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:59:38 AM

I get the feeling cryptsy was happy with the profits it got from the likes of doge that they'll gladly keep adding any crapcoin for shortterm gain.

Lets welcome all the new members from NYTimes and business journals articles then dump the shit on them Sad forget longterm viability of cryptos lets just make a quick buck out of the suckers Sad
black_swan

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:02:02 AM

kelsey, why not?
Better teach them quickly or they might get owned later in the game Tongue
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:05:19 AM

I get the feeling cryptsy was happy with the profits it got from the likes of doge that they'll gladly keep adding any crapcoin for shortterm gain.

Lets welcome all the new members from NYTimes and business journals articles then dump the shit on them Sad forget longterm viability of cryptos lets just make a quick buck out of the suckers Sad

its been getting progressively worse that is for certain.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:08:32 AM

End of the ALT coins hype?

Is that a joke? It's in full swiiiiiiiing !!! GME is gonna rocket  Grin  Grin  Grin
hvezdasmrti

Activity: 797
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:22:24 AM

True if you speak about mining. The old strategy "mine new coin at low diff, wait, sell when price peaked, jump at another potential crapcoin" doesnt work anymore. Now it is: "mine new crapcoin, dump fast for every price until it will be worth 0 satoshi and in the best case you will get the same profit like if you mined something 6 months old".

The alt coin hype imploded into itself - there are so many crapcoins that the community is unable to do anything else than read thousands of pages of promoting 0 value craps and spam. No real value, poor buying power. We need to stop that. Forbid new crapcoin announcement and set a fee for announce + give IP address/network ban for everybody who will try to bypass that.

In Pump and Dump we trust.
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:41:56 AM

Not everyone can be a winner, that's just nature. Someone's gotta lose in order for someone else to win. Only time will sort out the coins that last and the ones that die off. So...that's one good bit of news I guess  Grin
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:45:59 AM

Oh this scumcoin shit will never end.
Nullu

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:46:22 AM

Personally, I'm both investing in altcoins I think have a genuine future, and using the funds I acquire from dumping new coins by either trading for the coins I want directly, or selling them directly for BTC and then buying the coins I want to invest in.

Considering this is just a hobby for me in my spare time, I can wait for my dividends. I've just got to know when not to be a bag holder or a weak hand.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: