Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 09:33:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Five 7870s  (Read 642 times)
MZD (OP)

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:14:39 AM

Any advice on a good motherboard to get all of these running?
renodaret

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:51:10 PM

asrock 990fx extreme4  best money you will ever spend

pair that with a rosewill 1300 watt psu and you are golden
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:07:19 PM

But he needs a motherboard with 5 PCI-E-Slots or two motherboards?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
MZD (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:49:34 PM

Well I bought a great board with 7 slots. The MSI Z87-GD65.

I still have a question about the power supply though. The rosewill has 8 pcie power connectors. I'm guessing that means only 4 cards as each card requires two power connectors?

Can some of these power connectors be split for the 5th card?
Pita

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:26:27 AM

I still have a question about the power supply though. The rosewill has 8 pcie power connectors. I'm guessing that means only 4 cards as each card requires two power connectors?

You could get a PCIe 6 pin splitter that takes power from two 4 pin molex connectors. That is also a possibility, as long as your PSU can draw the amperage!
MZD (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:46:48 AM

You could get a PCIe 6 pin splitter that takes power from two 4 pin molex connectors. That is also a possibility, as long as your PSU can draw the amperage!

Thanks. I think I'll do that.

For a card with two power connectors would I need two of these splitters? So they would hook up to a total of 4 4pin molex outlets on the PSU?
Pita

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:52:17 AM

Thanks. I think I'll do that.

For a card with two power connectors would I need two of these splitters? So they would hook up to a total of 4 4pin molex outlets on the PSU?
Yes you would. I have seen them being also sold as a single 4 pin molex to a single 6 pin pcie connector but I have read from some guys that those single ones have melted down due to the higher amperage the 6 pin draws that the 4 pin usually does not provide and hence they started splitting them to dual 4 pin molexes. Just an fyi on that. I have not checked into this myself but ultimately that would depend on gauge size of the wiring, its jacket and temp rating as well as the molex pin max amperage draw per pin.
MZD (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:02:27 AM

This is exactly what I need to know. Thanks.
Pita

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:11:25 AM

But also make sure that your PSU will be able to provide all that power on the +12 Volt rail. The wattage of the PSU is just given as an overall wattage of all the rails combined. You need to make sure that you can sustain the continuous amperage on the 12 Volt rail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: