Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:41:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does "In Crypto Credimus" make sens  (Read 1214 times)
Cryptolator (OP)

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:04:47 AM

Hi,

I want to translate "In crypto we trust" to Latin.

I'm not trusting Google Translation, so I have to ask you if "In Crypto Credimus" make sens ?

Also I would like to know if you like it as a motto, or if you don't and why.

If you have any suggestion, go ahead, it will be really appreciated ! Smiley

Thanks guys !

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:06:10 AM

sounds nice regardless  Grin

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:08:30 AM

what about the good old "Vires in Numeris"?
"In Crypto Credimus" sounds good but I can't say if it's correct Tongue
Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:17:30 AM

what about the good old "Vires in Numeris"?
"In Crypto Credimus" sounds good but I can't say if it's correct Tongue

I do like Vires in Numeris but I want to have my own motto Tongue

badam

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:24:18 AM

In crypto confidimus or in crypto speramus
Credimus means we believe
Xenopus

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:34:05 AM

Classics geek here... Yes, the verb should be "confidere" = "to put faith/trust in". But "crypto" would be a third-declension noun and needs to be in the dative case. So it should be:

Cryptoni confidimus (Classical Latin)

If you want to be a bit closer to modern languages, you could use Medieval Latin, which would use "in" plus a noun in the ablative case:

In cryptone confidimus (Medieval Latin)

BTC: 17mV6VCMnbYbrhJfsxCEZm9y3CL1qb6jFC
badam

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:36:59 AM

Classics geek here... Yes, the verb should be "confidere" = "to put faith/trust in". But "crypto" would be a third-declension noun and needs to be in the dative case. So it should be:

If you want to be a bit closer to modern languages, you could use Medieval Latin, which would use "in" plus a noun in the ablative case:

Right i didnt tought about crypto word. My bad Roll Eyes
Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:41:06 AM

Thanks for the clarification ! Smiley
Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:43:58 AM

Woa ! Geek indeed ! lol Tongue

Not sure what to choose ! :/
Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:46:44 AM

I do like "In crypto we believe" so "In cryptone credimus" would make sens ? Not sure I want to use it as a noun tho.
decrypter

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:49:00 AM

I like where you are going with this.

Carpe Diem.
digit
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

in crypto nos confídimus ?

I'm curious about this as well, i was looking for something latin as well. google translate experiments gave me the above which i have been using but sure it can be improved on or made more correct.

Stay Safe and use NO KYC exchanges ■ Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi  ■
BTC:1DigitwteXwFcRAaWpVDRp6eKqzC6y9tgm ■ ŁTC:LKMcEHoFWHAUoRscqW1cwjhLgFrk7MgCWU ■ Coinkit:digit ■ §digit
Xenopus

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:56:28 AM

I do like "In crypto we believe" so "In cryptone credimus" would make sens ? Not sure I want to use it as a noun tho.

"In cryptone credimus" (Medieval) or "Cryptoni credimus" (Classical) would both makes sense, yes.

Adding "nos" in there, meaning "we", would make sense, but pronouns like that were only ever used for big emphasis. So it would translate more like "WE trust in crypto".

Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:26:24 AM

"In cryptone credimus" (Medieval) or "Cryptoni credimus" (Classical) would both makes sense, yes.

Adding "nos" in there, meaning "we", would make sense, but pronouns like that were only ever used for big emphasis. So it would translate more like "WE trust in crypto".

Not sure of the real meaning of Cryptoni, isn't it a noun, like the name of someone ? What if I would like to say "In Cryptocurrency We Trust" ?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate !
Xenopus

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:36:33 AM

"Crypto", as a short form for "Cryptocurrency", is a regular noun. A guy named "Crypto", well, that's called a proper noun. But in both cases "Crypto" is a noun, and in Latin, the ending of a noun gets changed according to how it's used in a sentence. In your motto, "crypto" needs to be either in the dative or ablative case (serious grammar terms), and since it ends in letter "o", that means it has to end in -oni for dative, or -one for ablative.

Example: Spartacus gives money to Cicero = Spartacus pecuniam ad Ciceronem dat

Example: Cicero gives money to Spartacus = Cicero pecuniam ad Spartacum dat

So the words change ending when they're used in different places in the sentence. In English and most other European languages today, we use word order mostly to understand the grammar, but in Latin, it was word endings.

Edit: I don't know what "cryptocurrency" would be in Latin, but there IS a word for it, because the Vatican still uses spoken Latin and keeps an up-to-date dictionary of terms. I might be able to find out.

Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:40:31 AM

"Crypto", as a short form for "Cryptocurrency", is a regular noun. A guy named "Crypto", well, that's called a proper noun. But in both cases "Crypto" is a noun, and in Latin, the ending of a noun gets changed according to how it's used in a sentence. In your motto, "crypto" needs to be either in the dative or ablative case (serious grammar terms), and since it ends in letter "o", that means it has to end in -oni for dative, or -one for ablative.

So the words change ending when they're used in different places in the sentence. In English and most other European languages today, we use word order mostly to understand the grammar, but in Latin, it was word endings.

Edit: I don't know what "cryptocurrency" would be in Latin, but there IS a word for it, because the Vatican still uses spoken Latin and keeps an up-to-date dictionary of terms. I might be able to find out.

Thanks for the good explanation !
My mother tongue is french, so that may explain my mistake about regular noun and proper noun. Tongue

Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:46:09 AM

Not sure if cryptocurrency is in the english dictionary yet, and I have some doubt anybody in Vatican know about cryptocurrency. I might be wrong tho. Smiley
Xenopus

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:48:59 AM

Maybe not yet, but after thinking about it, a good word for it would be "cryptomoneta" = "coded coinage"

Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:51:26 AM

Maybe not yet, but after thinking about it, a good word for it would be "cryptomoneta" = "coded coinage"

I like that !  Grin
Cryptolator (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:02:56 PM

Ok, anyone can give their opinion, should I go with Cryptoni Confidimus, Cryptoni Credimus, Cryptomoneta Confidimus, Cryptomoneta Credimus or even something else ?

I want as much input as I can get ! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: