Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:28:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mention on Alex Jones today. Environmental Dangers of Gold Mining  (Read 2162 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 11:18:04 PM

I just called into Alex Jones and got on the air, AGAIN!

Got the mention of bitcoin in, just before the end of the show. I called to relate this exact article, and mentioned Indybay and Goldmining, and the toll on the environment. I then mentioned their advocacy of bitcoin before Alex cut me off and ended the show.
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/08/28/18688943.php

I believe this is now the 2nd mention of Bitcoins on the Alex Jones show.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 12:09:07 AM

way to go bitrebel.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 03:36:06 PM

I just called into Alex Jones and got on the air, AGAIN!

Excellent work!  Alex will come around.  It will likely take more pushing from people he knows, like Max Keiser and Rick Falkvinge, to get him going...

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

Can't wait for this. It would be great to have Alex on board with bitcoin.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:02:28 PM

Good job getting on the air

But you know, of all the reasons to love bitcoin, the "environmental damage of gold mining" seems to be the absolute weakest Wink
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:24:23 PM

As much as I would like to see Alex Jones endorse Bitcoin... the reality is that it probably isn't going to happen.  His largest sponsor is a gold dealer.  And calling in to argue for Bitcoin with "environmentalism" definitely isn't the best approach.  Honestly, I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:32:28 PM

As much as I would like to see Alex Jones endorse Bitcoin... the reality is that it probably isn't going to happen.  His largest sponsor is a gold dealer.  And calling in to argue for Bitcoin with "environmentalism" definitely isn't the best approach.  Honestly, I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Gold mining in great scales can be really harsh to environment, being bitcoin nothing in comparison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrick_Gold#Environmental_impact

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:41:39 PM

Gold mining in great scales can be really harsh to environment, being bitcoin nothing in comparison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrick_Gold#Environmental_impact

this
Cosbycoin

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:43:26 PM

It's call PR.

Alex doesn't have to endorse bitcoin for bitcoin to be successful. I think it will be successful without his support. He'll just accelerate that pace.

It's a rebelous system, bitcoin, and Alex is all about being rebellious to the status quo.
Cosbycoin

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:44:27 PM

I didnt even put two and two together about the gold mining thing. So yeah I was more focused on Alex supporting bitcoin the idea not because gold mining is bad for the environment.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:54:23 PM

Personally, I think this is awesome Smiley

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:56:05 PM

yeah, but what about all that electricity we waste?  Wink
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:58:49 AM

not much once we all switch to FPGA boards... and power them with solar energy...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 05:29:04 AM

not much once we all switch to FPGA boards... and power them with solar energy...

While Electricity Cost < Block Value, miners will keep adding more and more mining power, be it FPGA or whatever, until Electricity Cost = Block Value. Basically, miners will keep adding mining power as long as it's profitable. So the only thing FPGA boards will do is increase the difficulty, not save on power wasted.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 12:44:36 PM

While Electricity Cost < Block Value, miners will keep adding more and more mining power, be it FPGA or whatever, until Electricity Cost = Block Value. Basically, miners will keep adding mining power as long as it's profitable. So the only thing FPGA boards will do is increase the difficulty, not save on power wasted.

Not if you believe
a) people will mine at a loss
b) people get free electricity (college kids, certain apartments, fixed utility cost arrangements, etc.)

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:18:24 PM

Much of that solar power just gets wasted on coeds getting suntanned anyway. Might as well use it for something useful like a computer in the basement making computer money.  Cheesy

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:23:07 PM

Now THERE is some good economic reasoning!  Well said, Rassah.

And for the same reason, "energy efficient" light bulbs and cars often result in more electricity used, not less.  A while back, after they mandated efficiency standards for A/C units in UK, the energy used went up, not down.
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 09:55:24 PM

It's not actually "Electricy cost = Block value", it's "Electricity cost + amortized hardware costs = Block value". As hardware becomes more energy efficient more money will be spent buying the hardware and less will be spent buying electricity.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Cosbycoin

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 10:31:42 PM

It's not actually "Electricy cost = Block value", it's "Electricity cost + amortized hardware costs = Block value". As hardware becomes more energy efficient more money will be spent buying the hardware and less will be spent buying electricity.

Actually the equation is more like "Electricity cost + amortized hardware costs + time wasted replying to posts on this forum like this one = Block value"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: