Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:50:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin eventually shift away from SHA256?  (Read 3256 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:11:30 PM

This can be done if prepared on a huge scale on time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:16:05 PM

The devs can change the hashing protocol with a hard fork (if everyone accepts their new client of course,) but if they change from SHA 256 all the asic miners gonna be real pissed off because that would make their asics worthless over night because their asics cant do anything else, so there would be a lot of resistance.

Incorrect, to quote Gavin, mining would have been just fine had we used MD5.

You can't just submit a block hash transformed from random data, the preimage must have deterministic data in it., that's one of the reasons why we use a blockchain rather than individual blocks.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:24:53 PM

The devs can change the hashing protocol with a hard fork (if everyone accepts their new client of course,) but if they change from SHA 256 all the asic miners gonna be real pissed off because that would make their asics worthless over night because their asics cant do anything else, so there would be a lot of resistance.

You can't just submit a block hash transformed from random data, the preimage must have deterministic data in it., that's one of the reasons why we use a blockchain rather than individual blocks.

huh   Huh, what exactly is incorrect, I basically said yes the devs can change the mining hashing algo, how is that incorrect ?

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:32:37 PM

Ehhh no, it's the NSA breaking SHA256 that pisses them off, not the devs taking necessary steps to keep Bitcoin alive.

What would piss off those asic miners more: their hardware becoming worthless because Bitcoin switched from SHA256 to something else, or their hardware AND all the precious bitcoins they mind becoming worthless because Bitcoin didn't switch and got effectively killed because SHA256 was broken?

Think. Miners deliberately take a risk by investing in mining hardware that could, theoretically, become worthless over night. To say it's extremely unlikely is still a vast understatement, but it's not impossible. Don't take that out on the devs.

The logic is strong with this one.

Yes I agree this logic is pretty strong, however, only if the news would be like "SHA-256 is cracked, replace it now or we loose everything" in that case asic miners would probably agree in their own best interest, but if the news is more like "an x number of steps of SHA-256 have been cracked and we better change now before the entire hashing algo is cracked in the future", it could be a different story., and their could be opposition to changing the algo when the threat is not imminent.

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:52:58 PM

Ehhh no, it's the NSA breaking SHA256 that pisses them off, not the devs taking necessary steps to keep Bitcoin alive.

What would piss off those asic miners more: their hardware becoming worthless because Bitcoin switched from SHA256 to something else, or their hardware AND all the precious bitcoins they mind becoming worthless because Bitcoin didn't switch and got effectively killed because SHA256 was broken?

Think. Miners deliberately take a risk by investing in mining hardware that could, theoretically, become worthless over night. To say it's extremely unlikely is still a vast understatement, but it's not impossible. Don't take that out on the devs.

Your condescension makes me a little wet. Would you like to go out on a date some time?

Society doesn't scale.
spooderman
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:57:03 PM

Wait a minute, it wouldn't just be mining that needs to change. If sha256 was no longer reliable the whole thing is fucked isn't it? Signed messages could be faked easily, wallets could be decrypted easily.

Society doesn't scale.
newsilike

Activity: 630
Merit: 262

This account was hacked. just recently got it back

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:22:03 PM

Switching Bitcoin protocol will be extremely difficult and risky. If petaflop power of currently implemented ASIC hardware is lost, the network would become so weak that it'd be vulnerable to anyone who can afford to spend $50ish-million on developing ASICs that use new protocol.

So switching is viable, but dangerous for the network until overall computational power is restored to the point where no single entity can easily amass 51% of hashrate. The 'problem' will worsen as time goes on and more SHA256 ASIC are added to network.

Proof of Stake solves that... just sayin'
NXT ~
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:01:37 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 03:11:44 AM by oakpacific

huh   Huh, what exactly is incorrect, I basically said yes the devs can change the mining hashing algo, how is that incorrect ?

Okay, maybe I didn't provide enough background about Gavin's words, MD5 is an already broken hashing algorithm, we wouldn't need to change the mining hash function even if it's broken, that was the point, because there is only a certain degree to which a hash function can be broken.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_hashing_algorithm read it here, you can'tjust  put random data in and create a hash meeting a certain difficulty target, the data that the hash is created from must contain lots of information which is contained in previous blocks and everyone has a full copy of the blockchain can verify, the wiggle room for a malicious miner is actually pretty limited.

But double-spending could still happen by creating two transactions hashed to the same value, this could be tackled by not allowing random data in transactions.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:13:35 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 09:38:32 AM by FenixRD

Wait a minute, it wouldn't just be mining that needs to change. If sha256 was no longer reliable the whole thing is fucked isn't it? Signed messages could be faked easily, wallets could be decrypted easily.

And banks and everyone on the planet that uses it are fucked temporarily. Or, more correctly, "exposed".

Also, bitcoins are additionally protected by RIPEMD-160 -- if you aren't super clear on what that specifically could mean, I suggest research, possibly google terms "ripemd sha bitcoin address". No promises, but that's what I'd type, and my google-fu is strong.

One key point is that if it is broken, you'll wish you were never repeating address usage. As everyone has been telling people for ages, but both are still ignored flagrantly.

Edited because I wrote a phrase that did not mean what I wanted, and implied something else entirely. There is a related point to the security of compressed keys but it's a side topic, and minor, and not cryptographic in nature, and I'm too tired to explain what I mean by that.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:21:57 AM

Actually, please just read through the Q&A here: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/14278/if-sha256-were-compromised-tomorrow-would-bitcoin-collapse-or-is-there-some-co?rq=1

If you are still confused, then we can carry on.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
spooderman
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 06:01:18 AM

How does one compress a key?

Society doesn't scale.
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:33:07 AM

How does one compress a key?

Use 0.6+ of the client, or software built / updated since then. More specifically: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3059/what-is-a-compressed-bitcoin-key

Rules that anyone might actually care about in simple terms:

Compressed public key (cpubkey):
039D85F2F2C4C9295ECBADB09AA118FF787B7FBDFBE528776D57C61C2E3A945F40 (Bold is the x-coordinate.)

Uncompressed public key (pubkey, I prefer upubkey for clarity):
049D85F2F2C4C9295ECBADB09AA118FF787B7FBDFBE528776D57C61C2E3A945F4010F812A01E8CDC71FB399EE7713EBDE44C55914172520EAD3135F84C3DCB7C1D

See the commonality?

Now, naturally, these both hash to different values. Specifically, under Bitcoin's current rules:

hash(cpubkey): E65C95EEC06C903B4CA2CA745A8245B232DE3BB7

hash(upubkey): 751B61B1646FB2AC1BB8CA34623AA29F1A821D18

Which then of course are different in the Bitcoin Base58-encoded format, also:

Compressed: 1N13L61jaUb481CWTgXCuJixJ7Sf1EXpGY

Uncompressed: 1BgCrxDUz44bU1YsBxLSkPcsep9bih1SmZ

Thus, without breaking RIPEMD-160, there's no way to guess about the pre-hashed string, and hash algorithms don't break into 1-to-1 matrices when they are considered "broken" anyway. In fact, if you notice the length difference, we're going to run into hash collisions long, long, long before address collisions. At which point we'd switch to a longer hash, and the client would switch to a new one, and it's all good.

So, despite them both corresponding to the same private key,  you can't see the balance of both by checking one. You'd need to check both of them. Your private key contains the information to unlock either one. Consider it -- since it is exactly the same type of thing -- like how there is a negative and a positive root of any real number. As in, sqrt(4) can be -2, or 2. "4" is your private key, and you need to know which public key (2 or -2) your funds are in. Or both. The difference in Bitcoin is, much bigger numbers, and the curve isn't a mirror at the origin, so one "root" can be a longer number than the other. For compressed keys, we use the small one. Also the mathematical operation is much more complex than just roots. And this was an analogy, and therefore a simplification.

If you are really curious, there is always this (which includes a graph of an elliptic curve): http://blog.cloudflare.com/a-relatively-easy-to-understand-primer-on-elliptic-curve-cryptography

Aaanyway, that's why compressed keys save blockspace, and more importantly, why you shouldn't reuse addresses, because you're less protected -- once you've spent from an address, you no longer have the additional protection of RIPEMD-160 guarding your funds.

-Citizenfive
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:33:35 PM

This isnt a new discussion, please use the search function.

1) SHA2 isnt vulnerable, and if it ever becomes vulnerable, its not like a switch thats flipped. We can see it coming, and adapt.

2). Bitcoin used double-SHA256. So even if SHA2 gets weakened, Bitcoin is still fine.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:59:04 PM

Switching Bitcoin protocol will be extremely difficult and risky. If petaflop power of currently implemented ASIC hardware is lost, the network would become so weak that it'd be vulnerable to anyone who can afford to spend $50ish-million on developing ASICs that use new protocol.

So switching is viable, but dangerous for the network until overall computational power is restored to the point where no single entity can easily amass 51% of hashrate. The 'problem' will worsen as time goes on and more SHA256 ASIC are added to network.

Luckily, the market has already created a solution to this. It's called Litecoin (only big non-SHA-256 coin at present). As for ASIC miners, their expected ROI point is usually 3 - 6 months out at most anyway; and most are aware SHA-256 will not live forever. The market will hedge its bets with a big shift to LTC if necessary, but really I doubt the actual cracking of it will be a big issue. It's unlikely to occur and be used in an attack. More likely, it will be published (maybe even with a couple weeks of heads-up lead time to Bitcoin devs, since that's the single biggest implication of it) with the details held secret until the hash function is updated and mining strength is strong (which would happen quickly, as even CPU mining would again be viable, and the circle of life of a crypto's hash function continues).

nice summary
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:00:17 PM

Could you imagine if difficulty is at 11ty zillion and all of a sudden we reverted back to GPUs as the only viable method of mining? We'd get stuck in the same difficulty period for months on end, like what happened with Namecoin a couple years ago.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:05:17 PM

Could you imagine if difficulty is at 11ty zillion and all of a sudden we reverted back to GPUs as the only viable method of mining? We'd get stuck in the same difficulty period for months on end, like what happened with Namecoin a couple years ago.

If that happened so abruptly, which is incredibly unlikely, I'm sure no one would object to the client getting a tweak that allowed the difficulty to retarget at a snappier rate until we normalize.

That said, there is no reason why miners can't ramp down mining. In fact, just like the "selfish miner" objections, as long as the secret is out, it's mutually assured destruction. I'm told that works.

-Citizenfive
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: