Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:06:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is my Bitcoin Core wallet telling me I am 7 years out of date?  (Read 131 times)
ksirvine (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:14:37 PM

I have been learning all about Bitcoins and the variations of online coins, if I can call them that!
I just need some help with the wallets! Wow there are so many different kinds.
I just need one that I can put dodge, bitcash, btc, etc into please!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:51:34 PM

I am not really a tech savvy person. But before the tech guys come along let me quickly tell you that your wallet hasn't synched. That's why it is taking you back in time. It could be network issue with data loading slowly. So, just give it some more time to update and it will clear off the 7years ago showing.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:59:38 PM

I have been learning all about Bitcoins and the variations of online coins, if I can call them that!

It takes time to sync with the network. Because what CORE walelt actually does is it downloads every single block (block contains transactions) and this is mainly how we all know about transactions as they are kept on this ledger called the blockchain that is across the running nodes. As we can see you will have to download like 160GB+ as of today (see the information here: https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size). So sysncing process and this out of date simply means you have yet to download information about these transactions.

Now if you don't want to you are not obligated to run full node. Specially when you are looking for another type of wallet.

Multiwallets or how else to call them allow you to have multiple cryptos and since they are lightweight wallets (they don't need to download full blockchain ledger as everything is done through some 3rd party nodes).

---- These are mutliwalelts that poped in my head right now : be sure to make the BACKUPS ---
So one option are hardware wallets such as trezor, ledgernano, keepkey
For lightweight for desktop https://guarda.co, https://jaxx.io/, https://www.exodus.io/
For android might want to check coinomi (I would recomend this one as they have really big support for various coins out there)

Try to stay away from online wallets to be secure.

For more information regarding wallets please read : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 08:25:38 PM

Hello ksirvine! As others have said, it's not synced yet. As far as wallets go, we would recommend you looking into multi currency wallets such as Coinomi or Jaxx. These have very intuitive UI's and are great for beginners. They also have the added convenience of being accessible on your phone. All that said, once you get a little more comfortable with transactions and with the crypto space in general, it is advisable to invest in a hardware wallet such as the nano-s or trezor. These are the best in terms of security and are great for offline storage, not to mention they can be used in tandem with your mobile wallet. Lastly, no matter which wallet you go with, make sure to never leave your funds on an exchange platform and to always back up your wallet seed!

Feel free to check out our blog post on wallets for some extra info! http://bit.ly/WalletGuide

Cheers
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 08:45:24 PM

As stated posts above your core is not synced which is totally true which you have to open the core connected to the internet then let the core download the whole blockchain.

Regarding for the wallets, you can try to use some wallets like coinomi, exodus, jaxx (a bit risky for some reason) this are the mutli wallet I've known so far but there are some still good out there like hardware wallets, Ledger, k
keepkey and Trezor. So choose depends on the feature you like, for security reasons I will try to invest in buying some hardware wallet if I were you.
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 10:02:57 AM

It is because you didn't updated it for a very long period of time so you will need to download the whole blockchain record and it will take a lot of time, but there are alternative way you can get of rid of that, just search it here in the forum because I have never tried doing it. You need to do that because aside from being a Bitcoin wallet, Bitcoin core is also a full node that should always be running most of the time to keep it up to date.
This is not related to your title, but it all depends on how will you use those cryptocurrencies, if you want to hold different types of cryptocurrency and the security of your coins is your priority then the best thing is to buy a hardware wallet. But if your primary concern is to have a hot wallet where you can easily transact your coins then you can try desktop wallets like jaxx or exodus.
mahibul49

Activity: 826
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 10:06:26 AM

i think the wallet is taking more time of synchronizing.
just connect your pc in internet and open the wallet and open till the wallet not synced .it will take time to synced but do not close the wallet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: