Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:16:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "A miner that can work with memory underclocked to 300MHz and scans whole 32bit"  (Read 952 times)
Killdozer (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 12:59:18 AM

"A miner that can work with memory underclocked to 300MHz and scans whole 32bit nonce space."
This is a quote from the wiki page about the Phoenix miner. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Phoenix_miner)

But there is no more explanation about this, can someone elaborate? Should I underclock my memory and use some extra options with it if I underclock? How much faster will the card peform? Seems strange that underclocking anything can improve performance... Can't find any info about this.

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 02:10:53 AM

I have no idea what is meant by that. AFAIK the memory isn't used by the mining code and under-clocking it is simply to reduce power usage since it isn't used.

The Phoenix docs make no reference to options for under-clocked memory. I don't think it even uses the memory, or not in anyway that affects performance.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 01:25:39 PM

Every miner work with underclocked memory... or better, everything work with underclocked memory...

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 02:29:20 PM

the most benefit from reducing memory clock is lower power dissipation thus allowing higher core clocks.

For some reason reducing memory actually does in fact also increase the hashrate by a little bit. somewhere in the clocktweak thread there is a quote with a chart.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: