Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:54:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: E-bay ,paypal  (Read 4499 times)
overunity (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:22:25 PM

No issue with buying just 1BTC to sell as far as I am aware
jchrist

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:23:49 PM

are you sure ?
overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:34:11 PM

are you sure ?

Minimum balance limitations
 You need to have at least the advertisement minimum sell limit and 1 BTC available in your LocalBitcons.com wallet.

This is a copy paste from localbitcoin.com

Here is a link :-
https://localbitcoins.com/guides/how-to-sell-bitcoins-online

the text is half way down.
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:29:40 AM

Bitcoin is paypals worst nightmare. There's no way paypal will ever support bitcoin trading. F*&^ Paypal.

Paypal was genius, but constrained by working within the existing system. They have done fantastically in that regard. But to keep their licenses they must keep chargeback attempts below some threshold -- idr, but it is really small.

I doubt they will care. To them bitcoins is a competitor in offering money transmitting services for a fee incomparable to there's. Don't expect them to facilitate it's exchange.

They can still take their fees. Better at least to attempt to adapt than to die slowly.

This is undoubtedly their plan. See previous comment.

Also, I may or may not have had the good fortune to be aware of what a certain ex-Paypal founder thinks about it as well. If Bitcoin is interesting to him, that should mean something too. Soon, Hyperloop transit links crowdfunded by Bitcoin early adopters, where the accepted payment is RFID bitcoin tokens just like the Pasmo system in Japan (you buy Pasmo at the gate if you don't have one). I'm not kidding, feel free to PM me regarding my plans on this if you are pretty "rich" in bitcoins.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:44:36 AM

ebay - paypal - credit card - bank

if ebay accepted bitcoins to be sold and offered seller protection, then paypal (separate office building) would still charge back in favour of customer, say thing their card details or password was stolen, even if delivery of product was proven, customer simply says they were not delivery recipient

if paypal changed their policies and put all bitcoin trades in favour of sellers, whether the customer claims theft, fraud, or hacking. the customer would then claim through their credit card company, which works in favour of customers, forcing paypal to then refund from the seller.

if credit card companies decided to not chargeback any paypal transactions, then the customer would go to the bank and claim through them.

in the end the scammers will always prefer to go through paypal as they know they have more then one company they can use to scam their refund through.

the short answer to all of this is to just avoid paypal/ebay if your a seller, no matter what you try you WILL be screwed over atleast 50% of the time

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:41:57 AM

ebay - paypal - credit card - bank

if ebay accepted bitcoins to be sold and offered seller protection, then paypal (separate office building) would still charge back in favour of customer, say thing their card details or password was stolen, even if delivery of product was proven, customer simply says they were not delivery recipient

if paypal changed their policies and put all bitcoin trades in favour of sellers, whether the customer claims theft, fraud, or hacking. the customer would then claim through their credit card company, which works in favour of customers, forcing paypal to then refund from the seller.

if credit card companies decided to not chargeback any paypal transactions, then the customer would go to the bank and claim through them.

in the end the scammers will always prefer to go through paypal as they know they have more then one company they can use to scam their refund through.

the short answer to all of this is to just avoid paypal/ebay if your a seller, no matter what you try you WILL be screwed over atleast 50% of the time

For now I just want to show Blockchain.info as a reliable source to prove bitcoin actually was sent to the buyer .It will be a big hurdle crossed if people could simply contact them pointing this fact out .Then we can possibly add other obstacles.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:41:56 AM

Try Litecoinlocal if you wanna sell but are a small guy, there is no limit on how much LTC you need to have on your account in order to sell

FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:15:31 PM

FYI, in the interim, and I don't think it'll be necessary much longer, so I'll give away a "trade secret" here that we use at my company -- we take PayPal as payment for basically a brokerage service. (We do a lot more than this; this is perhaps 0.5% of our revenue, in this format. Probably less. If you can use PayPal, you usually can use a credit or debit card, or a bank transfer.) You don't pay us for bitcoins, you pay us to acquire them for you. Much like a lawyer could accept PayPal, so do we. Our fee happens to vary based on the market rate, but that is immaterial.

The contract you sign basically says, you agree to pay us X dollars for our services. Our service guarantees Y bitcoins in return, a time window for delivery (or sometimes a price range instead, so basically a limit order), and a location for delivery, which is a 3-way P2SH address for added security. You either get 2 of the 3 keys, and we have one, or you, we, and an arbiter get 1. The arbiter was more used in the beginning. Now we do more 2-of-3 P2SH. But anyway. At that time, you sign the second part of the contract where you agree you have received the services at the requested terms. No PayPal chargebacks possible.

Then we turn over our part of the key and you can go on your merry way. Note, the only risk to the buyer, is that we oddly decide to hold onto one of a 2-of-3 P2SH key, and neither of us can spend the coins; this is the same as if you wanted to do a chargeback and again, neither of us can spend the coins (this was the purpose of the arbiter, in case the market ate complete shit and the buyer felt it was worth it to skip the whole thing).

Yes, we still do this, so if you really are desperate to purchase BTC with PayPal, feel free to PM me.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:18:02 PM

FYI, in the interim, and I don't think it'll be necessary much longer, so I'll give away a "trade secret" here that we use at my company -- we take PayPal as payment for basically a brokerage service. (We do a lot more than this; this is perhaps 0.5% of our revenue, in this format. Probably less. If you can use PayPal, you usually can use a credit or debit card, or a bank transfer.) You don't pay us for bitcoins, you pay us to acquire them for you. Much like a lawyer could accept PayPal, so do we. Our fee happens to vary based on the market rate, but that is immaterial.

The contract you sign basically says, you agree to pay us X dollars for our services. Our service guarantees Y bitcoins in return, a time window for delivery (or sometimes a price range instead, so basically a limit order), and a location for delivery, which is a 3-way P2SH address for added security. You either get 2 of the 3 keys, and we have one, or you, we, and an arbiter get 1. The arbiter was more used in the beginning. Now we do more 2-of-3 P2SH. But anyway. At that time, you sign the second part of the contract where you agree you have received the services at the requested terms. No PayPal chargebacks possible.

Then we turn over our part of the key and you can go on your merry way. Note, the only risk to the buyer, is that we oddly decide to hold onto one of a 2-of-3 P2SH key, and neither of us can spend the coins; this is the same as if you wanted to do a chargeback and again, neither of us can spend the coins (this was the purpose of the arbiter, in case the market ate complete shit and the buyer felt it was worth it to skip the whole thing).

Yes, we still do this, so if you really are desperate to purchase BTC with PayPal, feel free to PM me.

If you want to sell on ebay ,they stated that they only cover physical items ,you are free to offer services or digital items but in the case of a dispute or claim you will not be covered and could receive a warning .

I want the community to specifically point out that blockchain info is a bitcoin trusted public source that provide a searchable database to close the chargeback scam down on bitcoin transactions .

This service would be tracable unlike other digital /virtual items services ,in effect exclude bitcoin from this blanket ban they currently have .
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:31:49 PM

I have today spoken to e-bay about protection for bitcoin sellers .

The representative outlined their concerns with digital items including ,games ,antivirus software .
They can offer protection for physical goods because they know how to track postage and that the buyers actually received the goods bought .
But any virtual,digital goods are impossible to track so they blanket do not protect these transactions .
You can put up adverts and sell but if you have a dispute or your advert reported it is likely to end in your adverts being taken down and a warning of some sort issued .

I explained that unlike other digital items the protocol behind bitcoin is an official record of every transaction of every bitcoin transfered from one address to another and that they could turn paypal and ebay into an acceptable place to sell bitcoin simply by understanding and accepting blockchain.info as an official record of bitcoin transactions .

I explained that if they implemented a policy that officially recognised blockchain info as a receipt and proof of transaction they could protect buyer and seller .
paypal protects buyer .
Blockchain protect seller .

I also explained that the other option was to sell on localbitcoins.com but they need you to have a margin of one bitcoin to trade there which currently stands at around $900 /600pounds which is to much for small players .E-bay which has currently no minimum would therefore be preferable with a minor tweek in policy .

I would like the help of the community to turn paypal and ebay into bitcoin friendly environments .

The more people that phone ebay /paypal asking for blockchain info to be recognised as an official form of ledger to prove the seller transfered the coin to the address supplied by the buyer ,the more likely they are to implement this policy .
All we need is people to pick up the phone and request blockchain info be official proof of transaction .
I do not think their is a big conspiracy against bitcoin they currently do not know how to track transactions ,please let them know .

Thank you peeps .

You know, that's actually really sensible, logical, and a smart way of implementing bitcoin into eBay and Paypal. I seriously doubt they view bitcoins and crypto-currency as profit-stealing or whatever you nutjobs claim. They just want to ensure protection for buyers, which is sensible. So by making bitcoin a more secure form of currency and providing enough evidence and proof to them that it can be used sensibly, they might just re-format their policies
davidjr

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:53:34 PM

If you want to sell on ebay ,they stated that they only cover physical items ,you are free to offer services or digital items but in the case of a dispute or claim you will not be covered and could receive a warning .

I want the community to specifically point out that blockchain info is a bitcoin trusted public source that provide a searchable database to close the chargeback scam down on bitcoin transactions .

This service would be tracable unlike other digital /virtual items services ,in effect exclude bitcoin from this blanket ban they currently have .

That makes sense. But there are many countries with regulations pertaining to currency exchange. Ebay may want to avoid becoming involved in disputes with various central banks until Bitcoin becomes a more established currency.
Raghnar

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:56:12 PM

I would like the help of the community to turn paypal and ebay into bitcoin friendly environments .

Good luck.  I'm sure you can convince Paypal to further bitcoin adoption and kill their own business as a result.
BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:07:09 AM

I like all the euphemisms, they are trying to destroy Bitcoin and all of it's users plain and simple. Had they embraced Bitcoin to the fullest its value would triple overnight.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:16:22 PM

Good luck.  I'm sure you can convince Paypal to further bitcoin adoption and kill their own business as a result.

I'am not going to convince anyone ,the community needs to do that .
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:09:19 PM

Yes that's why you offer only contracted services. You can prove you did that, easily: Contract states I will facilitate delivery of X BTC to address xxxxx and that verification via [address at blockchain.info] is considered proof of completion of services; and that further, the address stated is brand-new and generated by the customer, and the customer certifies that they and no one else has access to the key. That sort of thing. They can charge back all they want but it will never fly.

-Citizenfive
overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:18:55 PM

Yes that's why you offer only contracted services. You can prove you did that, easily: Contract states I will facilitate delivery of X BTC to address xxxxx and that verification via [address at blockchain.info] is considered proof of completion of services; and that further, the address stated is brand-new and generated by the customer, and the customer certifies that they and no one else has access to the key. That sort of thing. They can charge back all they want but it will never fly.

They will not officially accept blockchain info as proof even if you put it in the terms .
You have already broken their terms by providing a service .
Their exact words to me were that "e-bay is for the sale of physical items only "
What I'am asking is for thecommunity to contact them to make Blockchain info their official proof ,we can put what we want in our terms but it needs to be officially recognised by e-bay or your flying by the seat of your pants if a dispute arises .
hilariousandco
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 2644

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:22:15 PM

They will not officially accept blockchain info as proof even if you put it in the terms .
You have already broken their terms by providing a service .
Their exact words to me were that "e-bay is for the sale of physical items only "
What I'am asking is for thecommunity to contact them to make Blockchain info their official proof ,we can put what we want in our terms but it needs to be officially recognised by e-bay or your flying by the seat of your pants if a dispute arises .

Is selling Paper Wallets fine then? What I don't get about the proof of delivery is anybody could ship you a letter or a xbox box full of bricks with a tracking number, but all that proves is they sent something not what's in the box. At least with the blockchain there is proof of exactly what was sent and received.

▄▄███████▄███████▄▄▄
 █████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███████████████
       ▀▀███▄
███████████████
          ▀███
 █████████████
             ███
███████████▀▀               ███
███                         ███
███                         ███
 ███                       ███
  ███▄                   ▄███
   ▀███▄▄             ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀▀
         ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
░░░████▄▄▄▄
░▄▄░
▄▄███████▄▀█████▄▄
██▄████▌▐█▌█████▄██
████▀▄▄▄▌███░▄▄▄▀████
██████▄▄▄█▄▄▄██████
█░███████░▐█▌░███████░█
▀▀██▀░██░▐█▌░██░▀██▀▀
▄▄▄░█▀░█░██░▐█▌░██░█░▀█░▄▄▄
██▀░░░░▀██░▐█▌░██▀░░░░▀██
▀██
█████▄███▀▀██▀▀███▄███████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
▄▄██████▄▄
▀█▀
█  █▀█▀
  ▄█  ██  █▄  ▄
█ ▄█ █▀█▄▄█▀█ █▄ █
▀▄█ █ ███▄▄▄▄███ █ █▄▀
▀▀ █    ▄▄▄▄    █ ▀▀
   ██████   █
█     ▀▀     █
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
▄ ██████▀▀██████ ▄
▄████████ ██ ████████▄
▀▀███████▄▄███████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
█████████████LEADING CRYPTO SPORTSBOOK & CASINO█████████████
MULTI
CURRENCY
1500+
CASINO GAMES
CRYPTO EXCLUSIVE
CLUBHOUSE
FAST & SECURE
PAYMENTS
..PLAY NOW!..
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:31:02 PM

I purchased paper wallets that were advertised to have 1 BTC each, but they had 0 each.  The person reviewing the case apparently ignored the blockchain information showing absolute proof that the wallets had 0 balance.  Don't expect the eBay dispute reviewer to use the blockchain info, or even basic logic when deciding on the case.  I am not using eBay & DEFINITELY not PayPal for BTC transactions.
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:37:57 PM

Companies, smaller/bigger start to understand that accepting bitcoin payments is like a free viral marketing for them.

overunity (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:39:08 PM

I purchased paper wallets that were advertised to have 1 BTC each, but they had 0 each.  The person reviewing the case apparently ignored the blockchain information showing absolute proof that the wallets had 0 balance.  Don't expect the eBay dispute reviewer to use the blockchain info, or even basic logic when deciding on the case.  I am not using eBay & DEFINITELY not PayPal for BTC transactions.

This backs up what I was told .
They do not understand that the blockchain exists let alone know how to use it ,if we can educate them ,maybe there is some hope ,the more that contact them with this info the more chance there is .
Unless like lots believe there is a conspiracy against Bitcoin .
I find people fear what they do not understand ,ebay are no different .
If they understand that their paypal could incorporate bitcoin wallets into their format then maybe we could make progress.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: