Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:21:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-01-05] Litecoin 2014: Will Litecoin Overtake Bitcoin In The New Year?  (Read 4845 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:01:49 PM

Litecoin In 2014: Will The Cryptocurrency Overtake Bitcoin In The New Year?

http://www.ibtimes.com/litecoin-2014-will-cryptocurrency-overtake-bitcoin-new-year-1526316?ft=o79z1

seldon

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:12:08 PM

No, it won't
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 04:53:42 PM

maybe. but to be the silver of the cryptoworld is good too  Smiley

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:46:13 PM

At least it's better than dogecoin and quarkshit Smiley
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:03:13 PM

Invoking the rule of questions-in-an-article-title... No.

Also, that laggard hasn't proven it can scale worth a damn, thanks to its neurotic sped-up confirmation times. Orphaned blocks, re-orgs and other nastiness await...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:20:28 PM

The title doesn't represent the article.

Also,
The difference is that litecoin sits at where bitcoins were last year this time.
is misleading at best.  Litecoin has a bigger brother where Bitcoin does not.

Finally, the idea that Litecoin is just Bitcoin delayed by a year or so is at odds with the "Litecoin is silver to Bitcoin's gold" mantra.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Betteridge's Law

Also, that laggard hasn't proven it can scale worth a damn, thanks to its neurotic sped-up confirmation times. Orphaned blocks, re-orgs and other nastiness await...

The same can be said about Bitcoin.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 08:53:54 PM

At least it's better than dogecoin and quarkshit Smiley

of course  Smiley !

i also like the idea of namecoin but i dont hold any. iam not a hater of other coins but i hate pre-mined scam-coins like quak quak or feathercoin Angry

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:28:21 PM

I can't ever see Litecoin stealing Bitcoin throne. Litecoin isn't different enough.

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:42:40 PM

i also like the idea of namecoin but i dont hold any. iam not a hater of other coins but i hate pre-mined scam-coins like quak quak or feathercoin Angry

I'm guessing you have some litecoins LiteCoinGuy.

I have some namecoins and am fond of PPCoin.  I've never been keen on Litecoin myself (I've never believed it to have any long-term technical advantages over Bitcoin) but will eventually bow to it's network effect if it continues to confound me with sustained popularity and growth.
laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 11:53:57 PM

Definately not overtake, but I suppose that this year the ratio BTC/LTC should double from 0,03 to 0,06 or so this year.

TEST
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:51:50 AM

Definately not overtake, but I suppose that this year the ratio BTC/LTC should double from 0,03 to 0,06 or so this year.

Do you really think that litecoin infrastructure and merchant growth can outpace bitcoin infrastructure and merchant growth?  Which LTC companies are getting VC funding again?  And which merchants are announcing adoption?

My CPU mined LTC and I would love to see your prediction come true, but I have a hard time seeing the path that will get us there.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:42:50 AM

Definitely not going to happen. Litecoin is a copycat of BTC. And it has no merits over BTC as well.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:21:26 PM

Betteridge's Law

The same can be said about Bitcoin.

Thanks for the pedantic correction on the first bit, and the other second nearly-as-pedantic answer for scalability. You honestly think the scale problem is the SAME in a blockchain where confirmation times have been drastically increased? So much for logic.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:54:17 PM

It's kind of funny, I looked at the Litecoin.org site the other day, and it listed the advantages against bitcoin.

- faster confirmations
- mining algorithm cannot be used by ASICs
- 4 times the coins in the monetary base

And, none of these things are actually advantageous and/or true. I wonder whether the Litecoin ASICs might eventually begin the demise of Litecoin, as reality starts to sink in that the claimed advantages aren't what they're billed as.

I'm not against competitors to bitcoin, but there's got to be a feature that bitcoin doesn't do better, or there's no real point. Every new coin so far has pretty much reflected the understanding deficit of most people who are attracted to the cryptocurrency concept. I'm happy to admit to having thought that Namecoin and Litecoin were a good idea at one point, but I've changed my mind. They're trying to solve a problem worth solving, but fail to do so convincingly. (bitcoin + distributed data storage is better than Namecoin, and Litecoin just flat out fails to do what it claims)

Vires in numeris
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:14:08 PM

It's kind of funny, I looked at the Litecoin.org site the other day, and it listed the advantages against bitcoin.

- faster confirmations

And, none of these things are actually advantageous and/or true. I wonder whether the Litecoin ASICs might eventually begin the demise of Litecoin, as reality starts to sink in that the claimed advantages aren't what they're billed as.

I'm not against competitors to bitcoin, but there's got to be a feature that bitcoin doesn't do better, or there's no real point. Every new coin so far has pretty much reflected the understanding deficit of most people who are attracted to the cryptocurrency concept. I'm happy to admit to having thought that Namecoin and Litecoin were a good idea at one point, but I've changed my mind. They're trying to solve a problem worth solving, but fail to do so convincingly. (bitcoin + distributed data storage is better than Namecoin, and Litecoin just flat out fails to do what it claims)

Don't forget the original advantage of being GPU resistant, which got swept under the carpet.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:29:33 PM

- faster confirmations

Don't forget the original advantage of being GPU resistant, which got swept under the carpet.

Lol, wasn't aware of that.

The ASIC design is pretty hilarious: you need a certain amount of RAM, and a certain amount of general purpose CPU per ASIC chip. This pushes up the cost of the whole device, and increases the amount of energy required for a given amount of work. And all to mine blocks that are less certainly confirmed than a bitcoin block?

There may well be a "silver" cryptocurrency, and there may be a new "gold", but I think Litecoin is neither.

Vires in numeris
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:47:28 PM

I find it highly unlikely that - in the next year - litecoin acceptance will surpass that of bitcoin. That, combined with the increased supply, makes me pretty certain that an upset like that in the thread subject is not going to happen.

From a technical perspective, there's already a good theoretical solution to this issue: switching to heaviest sub-tree instead of longest chain. Of course, it still needs to be implemented and deployed... we'll see if that actually happens.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:24:11 PM

No it won't but with additional large exchanges adopting can certainly be useful to transfer BTC around and to edge of course.
I'd like to see LTC closer to LTC/BTC 0.1 by the end of the year and more services and shops
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:26:55 AM

I'd like to see LTC closer to LTC/BTC 0.1 by the end of the year and more services and shops

There were a few online shops (such as Atlantis) and services (LTC-Global) which accepted LTC. But all of them has closed down.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: