Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:16:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NameCoin .bit Hosting (3 NMC /.yr)  (Read 1488 times)
LibertyCrypto (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 08:28:04 PM

I support NameCoin and host websites..
      So I figured, I should also host .bit domains.

If you already have a .bit domain name (or want to get one), I am offering to host a simple 5 MB site/page with FTP upload login & a POP email account or simple email forwarder; to users who contact me here on bitcointalk. It's not much - I know, but it's cheap & professional hosting that will get you started. It's hosted on a Hostgator backbone in Houston, not on my personal cable modem - so it'll be up 24/7.

More can be arranged at a later time, providing your site isn't a liability issue.

http://www.wholesalehosting.bit is my .bit hosting project site.
      Do not send any namecoins to me for your site until after you've contacted me first.

If you didn't know: Namecoin is an open source decentralized (p2p) top level domain name registration service, as well as a peer to peer 'crypto-currency'. In addition to being a private 'currency like' settlement instrument (cryptocurrency) - NameCoin allows for the use of .bit top level (like .com/.net) domain names, a DNS (domain name system) outside the control of the central authorities of the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority); meaning that your domain name is not subject to seizure in the same way that .net and other top level names controlled by the central authority, because its resolution is ultimatelly assigned by its owner, through the wallet which registered it in the first place.  

Using NameCoin allows you to:
      • Securely register and transfer arbitrary names (keys), no possible censorship!
      • Attach values (data) to the names (currently up to 520 bytes)
      • Trade and transact namecoins, the digital currency NMC

To register a name, you must own some namecoins (NMC, the internal 'cryptocurrency' used by the software).

Since the NameCoin (NMC) blockchain is the authoritative source for .bit domain information, normal DNS servers cannot resolve .bit domain names without additional configuration. Because many DNS servers have not added support for .bit domains yet, to access .bit websites, you will need to do one of the following:

• Change your computer's DNS
             You can change the DNS server setting on your computer to point to a valid NameCoin DNS server.
              This will enable your computer to resolve .bit domain names.
              See here for a list of valid NameCoin DNS servers.[/list]

• Change the DNS on your home router
             You can also change the DNS server setting on your internet router to enable the ability to resolve .bit address on your entire home network. This process will vary depending on what router you have, so you will need to refer to the setup instructions provided with your router. You need to change the DNS server address that is handed out to DHCP clients on your network to a valid NameCoin DNS. Once this setting is changed, any device that connects to your home network will get the DNS server setting automatically.

More info on DNS:
          The domain name system or domain name server (DNS) is a system that stores information associated with domain names in a distributed database on networks, such as the Internet. The domain name system (domain name server) associates many types of information with domain names, but most importantly, it translates the domain name (computer hostnames) to IP addresses. It also lists mail exchange servers accepting e-mail for each domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, DNS is an essential component of contemporary Internet use.

DNS is useful for several reasons. Most well known, the DNS makes it possible to attach easy-to-remember domain names (such as "yahoo.com") to hard-to-remember IP addresses (such as 207.142.131.206). Humans take advantage of this when they recite URLs and e-mail addresses. Less recognized, the domain name system makes it possible for people to assign authoritative names, without needing to communicate with a central registrar each time.
      LibertyCrypto (OP)

Activity: 18
      Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
      January 18, 2014, 01:42:44 AM

Im gonna delete this post if i can.. just to see if the author can disappear a thread he created.
      Nope.. evidentally not.
      It said that i can not delete my own topic in this board..
      Does that mean in just this n00b thread, i wonder..

Like what if I posted a post i wanted to re post.. fresh - by deleting the original post..
      but it had silly replys to it, and was in another board/thread here on bitcointalk?

Could I erase it then - thus disappearing my original mess?
      Pages: [1]
        Print  

Jump to: