Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:38:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-01-04 SeekingAlpha: Zynga Savings May Be Material To Earnings  (Read 1588 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:37:32 PM

Nice deeper analysis of the Zynga news, by Trace Mayer.

Zynga Accepts Bitcoin, And Savings May Be Material To Earnings

Sure, Zynga will get some great publicity out of the decision but inquisitive investors may wonder what effect, if any, could Zynga's decision to spend a few programmer hours integrating Bitcoin have on earnings. The ROI may surprise you and have you demanding your other companies jump on the Bitcoin express train.

In 2012, Zynga had $1.2B of gross revenue. We do not know what percentage of revenue will have the Bitcoin payment method as an option so we will just assume all of it. The credit card or PayPal fee for a $5 sale would be about $0.445 or 8.9%. Assuming Zynga has the same payment method breakdown as Reddit then we can expect this effect.

Approximately $30m of annual revenue being processed by credit cards or PayPal would cost about $2.7m. Bitpay will process this amount for a flat fee of $300/month or $3,600 per year which is a cost savings of approximately 99.87%. Not bad for a few hours of a developer who is likely already on salary!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1928121-Zynga-Accepts-Bitcoin-And-Savings-May-Be-Material-To-Earnings
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:40:25 PM

If this is true is beyond anything almost 9% on fees
If bitcoin can attract a decent slice of their customer they are def. saving tons on money!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 08:51:32 PM

cost savings of approximately 99.87%.

unbelivable but true  Grin !

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:48:00 PM

yeah but ... how long until 100% of Zynga users (payees) are bitcon enabled?

not this profit cycle at least...

BitChick
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:40:37 PM

yeah but ... how long until 100% of Zynga users (payees) are bitcon enabled?

not this profit cycle at least...

Hopefully they can offer some savings incentives for those that use BTC.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
nastybit

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:42:33 PM

Very good news. Has this been already confirmed from Zynga?
Is it live already? I would use it, too bad their games are so lame
laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 12:05:01 AM

Sounds really unbelievable, but considering this is Zynga. It could be true?Smiley

TEST
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:22:29 AM

Very good news. Has this been already confirmed from Zynga?
Is it live already? I would use it, too bad their games are so lame

Yes absolutely.

But agreed, the games are sooooo bad Wink
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:45:28 AM

We should spread this news as far as we can. With such insane margins, it is only a matter of time before other online giants such as Amazon starts to accept BTC!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:14:58 AM

We should spread this news as far as we can. With such insane margins, it is only a matter of time before other online giants such as Amazon starts to accept BTC!

yep, pretty nice savings. i guess we are at a stage where the hole cryptostuff spreads "itself", not like 2012.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:19:00 AM

yep, pretty nice savings. i guess we are at a stage where the hole cryptostuff spreads "itself", not like 2012.

Yeah - its gone way past viral now ..... what's the word for that? Wink
oooo

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:10:35 AM

End-users still have to somehow obtain bitcoins. In a way, Zygna passed on those costs to the end-users. Granted, exchange fees aren't too bad (e.g. Mt.Gox is currently 0.3975% per transaction), and is still much better than PayPal's 8.9%, but if we're going to do the math, let's take the end-user fees into account as well.

Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:52:41 AM

End-users still have to somehow obtain bitcoins. In a way, Zygna passed on those costs to the end-users. Granted, exchange fees aren't too bad (e.g. Mt.Gox is currently 0.3975% per transaction), and is still much better than PayPal's 8.9%, but if we're going to do the math, let's take the end-user fees into account as well.

Some of us already have Bitcoins, we just need more ways to spend them.
GnB

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:12:52 PM

Isn't Bitpays fee 5% (?)

I've signed up for it just to see what it's like for a potential retailer in Australia and it charged $105 in BTC for a $100 QR code, are Zynga getting a special deal or sum shit?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

Isn't Bitpays fee 5% (?)

I've signed up for it just to see what it's like for a potential retailer in Australia and it charged $105 in BTC for a $100 QR code, are Zynga getting a special deal or sum shit?

5% is a crime if that is true. Negates the benefits of bitcoin
nastybit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:12:36 PM

Here you have the Bitpay pricing, I can't see 5% anywhere
https://bitpay.com/pricing
Maybe they take a bit from the exchange rate?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:20:09 PM

Isn't Bitpays fee 5% (?)

Bitpay does not charge that much of a premium. Probably the merchant or retailer added 4.8% extra charges for processing BTC transactions.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:27:50 PM

I love how everyone overlooks the fact that Zynga's target audience are people who are barely computer literate. "I turn on my pc/laptop, and NSAbook is my homepage". The first sign of trouble is a major disaster. "I have to update FLASH for my games, how do I do that? OMG!"

And yet, somehow, via magic or telepathy, we expect people to just jump on the Bitcoin train - after probably never having heard of it ever before. Right. I'm skeptical that their mindless clicking drones have the slightest interest in Bitcoin, or the skills to even acquire any.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:35:43 PM

I love how everyone overlooks the fact that Zynga's target audience are people who are barely computer literate. "I turn on my pc/laptop, and NSAbook is my homepage". The first sign of trouble is a major disaster. "I have to update FLASH for my games, how do I do that? OMG!"

And yet, somehow, via magic or telepathy, we expect people to just jump on the Bitcoin train - after probably never having heard of it ever before. Right. I'm skeptical that their mindless clicking drones have the slightest interest in Bitcoin, or the skills to even acquire any.

I agree with you TT that, as with the WordPress and Baidu announcements, this might not turn out to be material in terms of transaction volume or consumer Bitcoin adoption.  But it's a very important milestone in order to keep the PR momentum going, and lessen the fear of Bitcoin adoption in other future retailers & service providers.  It's one more talking point for our arsenal, one more bullet point in our slide deck, with a fairly big name that's likely to be recognized by most people in the tech sphere.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:46:08 PM

Agree, the Venn Diagram of Bitcoin users and Zynga players has very little overlap. But Bitcoin is perfect for companies like Zynga for decreasing payment processing fees and eliminating charge backs on relatively small payments.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: