Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:58:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minethings.com just went all-in on bitcoins  (Read 4337 times)
nextnonce (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

www.minethings.com

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 01:20:24 PM

Like many of you, I'm a big fan of bitcoins and want to see it succeed.  With this in mind, my browser-based game with ~1500 players has ditched Paypal as of today and now exclusively accepts bitcoins.  This should bring a new source of interest and demand, small though it may be.

Announcement thread

BTC accepted at my browser-based MMO, Minethings.com.  ~1500 active players mining now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 02:22:35 PM

good work!
spread the word Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 02:27:35 PM

I think you need to explain to your customers how to easily + securely get Bitcoins (Tradehill, MtGox) and that you do NOT have to mine any, if you want to have some - just like you don't have to mine gold to be able to buy a nice golden wedding ring.

Even though I'm all for ditching Paypal asap, you might consider it again if you did start with Paypal and now (without apparent reason for you customers) remove support for it.
You could, as suggested, for example make Paypal purchases much more expensive - if people still want to use them, you win.

Also, besides this, there is VERY little explanation on the main page (you can only see the background story, sing up and sign in - no privacy policy, no contact, no screenshots of the actual game, however it might look like, it's not even mentioned that there is some premium content where you might be required to pay something!)

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 02:44:17 PM

Its actually a basic reaction if they are forced to switch to something totally new.
I mean this is basically what happens if for instance Amazon switches to Bitcoins only.
They will lose to much customers cause all people think like the following:

Joe: Why would I use bitcoin?
You: Cause you don't have to pay fees wich you do with paypal.
Joe: I don't care, I just want to buy Call of duty, not start a Bitcoin study.
You: Well, then your stupid.
Joe: Ok, I am not going to Amazon to buy Call of duty, ill buy else were, where i can at least pay with Paypal.

People are not interested in a new pay method, there interested what they want to buy.
And if they cannot pay, they will buy it else were and not think: "oh shit I want to buy here, i will start my Bitcoin study now".

xyu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 03:04:58 PM

Brave move, I meant not the fact of accepting bitcoins but the fact of loosing 99% of his customers
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 03:38:23 PM

Send them too us,
https://bitcoinbux.com

I can get bitcoin into their account today.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 05:18:32 PM

Nice.

I bet you don't lose 99% of current customers at all. But if you do, getting 99% more would be a cinch!

P.S. F PayPal.

edit: just looked, people not too happy over there. Are these people who were actually paying much?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 05:30:30 PM

Its actually a basic reaction if they are forced to switch to something totally new.
I mean this is basically what happens if for instance Amazon switches to Bitcoins only.

Joe: Ok, I am not going to Amazon to buy Call of duty, ill buy else were, where i can at least pay with Paypal.

People are not interested in a new pay method, there interested what they want to buy.
And if they cannot pay, they will buy it else were and not think: "oh shit I want to buy here, i will start my Bitcoin study now".

If a thing is very widely provided and the customer has a preference against bitcoin they will likely go elsewhere, people with somewhat unique products are the ones who have the best chance at converting reluctant customers.

Grouver (BtcBalance)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 05:53:05 PM

If a thing is very widely provided and the customer has a preference against bitcoin they will likely go elsewhere, people with somewhat unique products are the ones who have the best chance at converting reluctant customers.
To bad the average joe doesn't know any better and maybe actually doesnt want to know any better cause this system works for him.

wildboy211

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:03:51 PM

I bet if you lose 99% of paypal customers, youll get a gain of 101% "loyal" bitcoin customers...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 06:32:56 PM

[/quote]
To bad the average joe doesn't know any better and maybe actually doesnt want to know any better cause this system works for him.
[/quote]

Yeah, average Joe doesn't care if there is another site using a traditional payment method providing the same thing. The more unique the product is the more motivated Joe will become. And once he becomes motivated to figure it out one time it'll be easier the next.

Grouver (BtcBalance)

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 06:45:03 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2011, 08:36:06 PM by Grouver (BtcBalance)

Yeah, average Joe doesn't care if there is another site using a traditional payment method providing the same thing. The more unique the product is the more motivated Joe will become. And once he becomes motivated to figure it out one time it'll be easier the next.

Thats true.
I am not saying Bitcoin will never take of cause of this.
I am just saying I am amazed about the amount of people there negative reactions that where posted on the forum of the OP.
But this may actually come cause the OP forced there users to switch over instead of letting the users decide what they want.
Though, if he did that I am afraid those guys would never switch from Paypal to Bitcoin.

bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:57:04 PM

Bold move I would say.

Anonymailer
aka BitBacco

Activity: 662

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 09:46:13 PM

Nice! I raid bitcoin as an open-source game currency back when I was regulated to the noobie forum, great to see it happen! Will certainly check out the game Smiley

MacMiner - The first, best and easiest to use native Mac coin mining app: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=197110.0

BTC: 12vZf8mjaXvHorXWVWfv7nZspHa8L8kfoG LTC: LLRqwo3YcLqoRyfZRVmUevtd2Y35Vvnt4w
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: