Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:34:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Mt. gox sell the BTC's they've earned?  (Read 1480 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:12:53 PM

Don't they earn btc's from every trade as well as USD?

Are they the huge 25k dumps we always see or do they do it slowly in the background?

Just wondering.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:14:29 PM

why would they sell?  Huh

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:19:58 PM

Same reason you or me sell? to pay some bills? Hookers? Renting midgets for Bday parties?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:22:15 PM

Same reason you or me sell? to pay some bills? Hookers? Renting midgets for Bday parties?
they earn USD as well... it should be enough to pay the bills

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Callius

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:18:58 PM

They can sell on their own market too? All money that's trasnfered to them for use on their site they hold but can't use for paying bills obviously, so they can just fill buy orders and free up the help USD for use in the company if they wanted too. I doubt they'd do it all at once as then they'd drop the market price and get less compared to doing it in small amounts, that and I doubt they'd let the business get to a point where they'd need to this in any scale anyway.
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 08:24:43 PM

they earn USD as well... it should be enough to pay the bills

Looks like they've made about 8k btc's in the last 30 days or somewhere around there.  If they're holding them thats great, but it would be nice to be more open about it.  If they sell they get to collect fees again from the unsuspecting buyer.  Not saying this is the case but you never know these days.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 08:36:48 PM

If they sell they get to collect fees again from the unsuspecting buyer.

How are they any different than any other seller?
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 08:47:45 PM

If they sell they get to collect fees again from the unsuspecting buyer.

How are they any different than any other seller?

Guess they aren't much different.
miernik

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2011, 10:03:24 PM

Looks like they've made about 8k btc's in the last 30 days or somewhere around there.  If they're holding them thats great, but it would be nice to be more open about it.  If they sell they get to collect fees again from the unsuspecting buyer.  Not saying this is the case but you never know these days.

You write in a tone as if this would be something "wrong". Any why would you want to know what do they do with their money, be it BTC, or USD, or do they exchange one to the other. Does MtGox ask you how do you spend your money?

They can exchange their USD or BTC one way or the other on their own exchange like any other customer, and its nobody's else business. I bet they trade them back and forth whenever its convenient for them or they see opportunity for profit, be it for falling/rising exchange rate, or just for the extra 0.65%. The more they trade it, the better for the market because it gets more liquidity.

Anyone whining about them making an extra 0.65% out of the 0.65% fees they already made, should just mind his own business, instead of picking at perfectly legitimate trading.

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:52:35 PM

Looks like they've made about 8k btc's in the last 30 days or somewhere around there.  If they're holding them thats great, but it would be nice to be more open about it.  If they sell they get to collect fees again from the unsuspecting buyer.  Not saying this is the case but you never know these days.

You write in a tone as if this would be something "wrong". Any why would you want to know what do they do with their money, be it BTC, or USD, or do they exchange one to the other. Does MtGox ask you how do you spend your money?

They can exchange their USD or BTC one way or the other on their own exchange like any other customer, and its nobody's else business. I bet they trade them back and forth whenever its convenient for them or they see opportunity for profit, be it for falling/rising exchange rate, or just for the extra 0.65%. The more they trade it, the better for the market because it gets more liquidity.

Anyone whining about them making an extra 0.65% out of the 0.65% fees they already made, should just mind his own business, instead of picking at perfectly legitimate trading.

I wasn't whining I am merely curious.   I did not complain once about the trade fees, I find them quite reasonable actually.  I don't even use them, but they do have an effect on the overall bitcoin market.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:28:39 AM

Don't they earn btc's from every trade as well as USD?

Are they the huge 25k dumps we always see or do they do it slowly in the background?

Just wondering.

We don't sell those BTC.

Instead we use those (for example for bitomat).
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:18:25 PM

thanks mark thats great to hear!
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 07:34:27 PM

whether they sell the BTC on their own exchange site, hold,  or sell it to bitomat, who cares?? it's their money, they're entitled to do whatever they want with it. no one cares what you do with your money/coins

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:44:25 PM

whether they sell the BTC on their own exchange site, hold,  or sell it to bitomat, who cares?? it's their money, they're entitled to do whatever they want with it. no one cares what you do with your money/coins

People are worried because as an exchange we could know when large buyers or sellers are getting ready to enter the market, and we could manipulate the market beforehand to profit from it.

That's one reason that makes it practically impossible for us to buy or sell bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: