Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:48:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neptune and data center  (Read 1151 times)
miglio46 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:10:33 AM

Hi,

does anybody know if Neptune can fit easily in standard U-rack mount for DC installation?
How much ampere the rack would need?

Thx in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:16:36 AM

Im on this too...you mean KNC Neptune right? Also, how many watts or amps does that beast pull? Anyone? The final design isnt out yet i dont think, so probably no one knows
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:54:05 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 12:08:19 PM by Gator-hex

They already said it would be beyond a standard US power socket 120V x 15A = 1800w (US will be shipped underclocked)
and standard EU power socket is 230V x 12A = 2760w

So my guesstimate is somewhere between 1800w-2760w (2280w is the average)

They used large standard PC coolers and a desktop case on the last lot so expect to add your own 4U rack cases.

They did say that 20nm would be their last consumer focused product. I took that to mean aiming for bulk data centers sales going forward.

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:24:48 PM

They already said it would be beyond a standard US power socket 120V x 15A = 1800w (US will be shipped underclocked)

They used large standard PC coolers and a desktop case on the last lot so expect to add your own 4U rack cases.

They did say that 20nm would be their last consumer focused product. I took that to mean aiming for bulk data centers sales going forward.

Jesus, yeah I remember that reading that too...just wasnt sure how it translates. So does that mean it will still plug into a normal US wall socket with a 20amp fuse or does it need to be adapted to like an electric dryer plug? Thanks
Gator-hex

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:49:22 PM

Jesus, yeah I remember that reading that too...just wasnt sure how it translates. So does that mean it will still plug into a normal US wall socket with a 20amp fuse or does it need to be adapted to like an electric dryer plug? Thanks

Yeah, sounds like you will have to use a higher rated socket, usually found in the kitchen, for cookers, drying machines and the like to run it at it's full potential.

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:57:11 PM

Yeah, sounds like you will have to use a higher rated socket, usually found in the kitchen, for cookers, drying machines and the like to run it at it's full potential.

Cool yeah, just did some more research and found that it should be ok...Also, you mentioned the miners will be shipped underclocked. Does that just mean I have to set it to overclock myself? THanks
Gator-hex

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:08:29 PM

Cool yeah, just did some more research and found that it should be ok...Also, you mentioned the miners will be shipped underclocked. Does that just mean I have to set it to overclock myself? THanks

If I remember correct the actual wording they used was something like "more cores would become available when there is more power". I'm not sure how that would work. Simplest option would be some kind of firmware upgrade/downgrade I guess. KnC didn't make their last batch user overclockable I suspect to stop users breaking them.

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:15:14 PM

If I remember correct the actual wording they used was something like "more cores would become available when there is more power". I'm not sure how that would work. Simplest option would be some kind of firmware upgrade/downgrade I guess. KnC didn't make their last batch user overclockable I suspect to stop users breaking them.

Hmm, i see, very cool. Thank you for the info...
miglio46 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:28:40 PM

and then you have to search for another place to live since any other house equipment might break the circuit due max wattage, right?
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:36:54 PM

and then you have to search for another place to live since any other house equipment might break the circuit due max wattage, right?

Well we dont live in mud huts in america. Most houses have more than one circuit, even 15 to 20 most of the time.  But I would gladly find another place to live if im pulling in 2k per day.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:09:21 PM

2k a day for 2 weeks until the following difficulty adjustment. If this is your first time mining you are going to be very sad with how quick the rate of return goes down.
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:44:00 PM

2k a day for 2 weeks until the following difficulty adjustment. If this is your first time mining you are going to be very sad with how quick the rate of return goes down.

This is not my first time...Ive had gear since august and ive done great. Everyone just thinks about bitcoin. Last I checked there were multiple coins mined with sha256. This is the very beginning of a concept thats going to change the world. I have already made a small fortune. I would be a fucking idiot not to reinvest. There are a lot of gambles in bitcoin. Mining is just one of them. But thank you for your concern
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 08:18:53 PM

This is not my first time...Ive had gear since august and ive done great. Everyone just thinks about bitcoin. Last I checked there were multiple coins mined with sha256. This is the very beginning of a concept thats going to change the world. I have already made a small fortune. I would be a fucking idiot not to reinvest. There are a lot of gambles in bitcoin. Mining is just one of them. But thank you for your concern

I'm curious what other sha256 altcoins you mine. I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts about what you think might happen between now and April.

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:16:16 PM

I'm curious what other sha256 altcoins you mine. I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts about what you think might happen between now and April.

Well i just mine bitcoin. Im still making 200 a day. But unobtanium was making more than bitcoin at one point a few weeks ago, and thats sha. I think bitcoin will be at 1500-2000 by april.
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:18:50 PM

Well i just mine bitcoin. Im still making 200 a day. But unobtanium was making more than bitcoin at one point a few weeks ago, and thats sha. I think bitcoin will be at 1500-2000 by april.

I think April 1 BTC will be 3529.00USD  Now, to create reality!
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

I think April 1 BTC will be 3529.00USD  Now, to create reality!

I think I hope youre right...probably be pulling in 5k a day if thats the case
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: