Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Biggest Problem is This...There's Not a Lot to Talk About!  (Read 1631 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:52:50 AM

People complain about the Bitcoin forum sometimes, but the real problem is not the forum itself, it's the fact that Bitcoin is very young still. There's not much news, the news there is, has been mostly derogatory, and not everyone is technical minded to speak in the tech related forums and contribute.

Don't blame the messenger, folks. Start making news about Bitcoins, then we'll have more to talk about.  There's only so much you can say about something as new and experiemntal as Bitcoin that has not been said already.  Smiley

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:09:38 AM

People complain about the Bitcoin forum sometimes, but the real problem is not the forum itself, it's the fact that Bitcoin is very young still. There's not much news, the news there is, has been mostly derogatory, and not everyone is technical minded to speak in the tech related forums and contribute.

Don't blame the messenger, folks. Start making news about Bitcoins, then we'll have more to talk about.  There's only so much you can say about something as new and experiemntal as Bitcoin that has not been said already.  Smiley

You have an extremely valid point. It's a shame there wasn't lots of stuff coming out of the Bitcoin conference in NYC to give us material to go over.

We need more people contributing ideas, more people doing bitcoin companies, more people announcing they just convinced someone to start taking bitcoins... I'm actually trying to bring a local business into the fold, so on that, wish me plenty of luck. (I'll need it, the owner isn't exactly the most adventurous sort...)

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:24:36 AM

To be honest, this is exactly why I stopped coming to the forums daily.  Too many topics too keep track of, and too little actually being said.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:27:14 AM

To be honest, this is exactly why I stopped coming to the forums daily.  Too many topics too keep track of, and too little actually being said.

Yeah, there's been a lot of that. Though I'll admit I think the recent charity-by-bitcoin efforts have been quite cool. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:40:23 AM

Well, i'm probably guilty of this myself, but maybe we can all make an effort to post higher quality posts in this forum. If we refrain from posting just for the sake of creating discussion, and try to post on more relevant and important issues in relation to bitcoin, then the quality of the forum will go up from day to day.

memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 01:52:44 AM

Well, i'm probably guilty of this myself, but maybe we can all make an effort to post higher quality posts in this forum. If we refrain from posting just for the sake of creating discussion, and try to post on more relevant and important issues in relation to bitcoin, then the quality of the forum will go up from day to day.

Or leave the forum even with less important content, because people who talk, will still talk. Smiley

Don't blame the messenger, folks. Start making news about Bitcoins, then we'll have more to talk about.

This, I am feeling guilty of. +1
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 02:02:03 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that what used to be 'news' and interesting to bitcoiners has changed a lot. It was huge to me when the first gambling and then first poker site came out, now even a new exchange is like "whatever, we'll see what comes of it".

There can't really ever be endless big news because what feels big will just change. I think things are progressing just fine. Each big wave of new people contains a few gems that will do something great and that lures in the next wave.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12885

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:14:26 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that what used to be 'news' and interesting to bitcoiners has changed a lot. It was huge to me when the first gambling and then first poker site came out, now even a new exchange is like "whatever, we'll see what comes of it".

There can't really ever be endless big news because what feels big will just change. I think things are progressing just fine. Each big wave of new people contains a few gems that will do something great and that lures in the next wave.

I feel the same way. I don't even read most Bitcoin news stories any more, since they're mostly the same.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:26:54 AM

I pop in every now and again, and its a bit sad to see that nothing has changed.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
lettucebee

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:58:08 AM

I laughed when I read that there's nothing to talk about. In the short time I've gotten interested in bitcoin I saw somebody invest their entire net worth in it, someone lost 25,000 bitcoins to a hack, very few people understand the intricacies of securing the wallet, mybitcoin scams the community out of over a million dollars, the government takes square aim at bitcoin-----and that's just off the top of my head!

Nothing to talk about? You guys are jaded action movie-goers apparently.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████            ████  ████
          ████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:09:49 AM

Bitcoin needs a killer product that's only available to buy in bitcoins , like oil-USD ,so the product promotion can promote bitcoin  for most people a currency isn't very interesting it's what they can do with it , that is .

Bitrated user: Mick.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:06:47 AM

Bitcoin needs a killer product that's only available to buy in bitcoins , like oil-USD ,so the product promotion can promote bitcoin  for most people a currency isn't very interesting it's what they can do with it , that is .

That already exists.
Everything which can't be bought by traditional fiat currencies.

Due to legal aspects people just don't advertise this very much.

Correctly used, bitcoin sales are 100% untrackable to a real world identity

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:39:38 AM

These forums are here to keep the bitcoin community together. We should be able to discuss anything and everything. The problem is the forum software gives us too much to read, and we are bombarded with posts so we cannot keep up.

It is great that that I can ignore certain member, but I would rather not. You never know when someone will post something that you are interested in reading about. I wish I can read the subject line and decide from there if I want to ignore the topic.

I think the discussion n Slush's pool is important for me, but someone that does not mine on that pool might not be interested in the subject, so they might like to ignore it.

The ability to ignore a whole topic would really clean up my unread posts since last visit...
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:11:02 AM

I laughed when I read that there's nothing to talk about. In the short time I've gotten interested in bitcoin I saw somebody invest their entire net worth in it, someone lost 25,000 bitcoins to a hack, very few people understand the intricacies of securing the wallet, mybitcoin scams the community out of over a million dollars, the government takes square aim at bitcoin-----and that's just off the top of my head!

Nothing to talk about? You guys are jaded action movie-goers apparently.

All of those events you mentioned gave bitcoin negative publicity, as I stated.
Bitcoins as a topic of discussion is limited, regardless of all the news. There needs to be more big news items that are positive. That's all I'm saying. It would be like if you started a forum for the "Dollar". Unless there was news around the dollar itself, talking about the dollar all day would get boring.

I think the last good newsworthy item concerned TurboTax. Other than that, there has not been much positive or newsworthy lately.

I think we need a Ron Paul Bitcoin Money Bomb. That would make positive bitcoin news and pick the momentum up quite a bit.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:37:19 AM

These forums are here to keep the bitcoin community together. We should be able to discuss anything and everything. The problem is the forum software gives us too much to read, and we are bombarded with posts so we cannot keep up.

You've hit the nail on the head here.  When people truly discuss *anything* and *everything* it becomes difficult to filter out the posts that are truly worthwhile.  Though I slightly disagree, in that I don't believe it's a problem with the SMF forum software itself, for SMF as a message-board platform is still top-notch.  It's just a matter of scale.  Several months ago it worked just fine - now, not so much.

Props to the mods and admins though, for their constant attempts to work around these issue through various restructures of the boards and diligent moderation.  Without that, we'd be in a complete spam-fest with no organization whatsoever.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:02:16 AM

I think we need a Ron Paul Bitcoin Money Bomb. That would make positive bitcoin news and pick the momentum up quite a bit.

That will be an interesting topic.  I suppose to do so would require collecting identifying information for every contributor donating more than $50 worth if the donations could be accepted at all.  See:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40137.msg490357#msg490357

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █