Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:51:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amex Files Patent for "Transferring Value via a Social Network"  (Read 1914 times)
pikapay (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 101

@PikaPay - Easy as a Tweet!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 07:37:31 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 07:25:19 AM by pikapay

We're curious about what others here think of this patent application.

I know they can't do anything about Bitcoin itself, but it does sound like Amex is trying to file a patent for our service. What should we do?

US Patent Request 20140006297 filed on July 2, 2013

An integrated, end-to-end, automated system that
enables a first social networking user to seamlessly
transfer value to a second social networking user, even if
the second user is not registered with the money transfer
service from which the first user initiates the transfer...

Our service:

PikaPay.com

Send Bitcoins to anyone on Twitter, as easy as a Tweet!

PikaPay is a Bitcoin wallet integrated with the Twitter API and is one of the easiest ways to use Bitcoin. Just like in the Amex patent, with PikaPay the recipient doesn't need to have a PikaPay account to receive bitcoins.

We were the first to start sending bitcoins on Twitter back in 2011. But we're sure that scores of other companies have been doing "value transfer via social networks" even earlier.
Do we have to take that Amex patent application seriously in any way, and is there anything specific we should do?

We Tweeted AmEx a little while ago.

BitcoinWednesday.com - The monthly conference on the digital currency revolution in The Netherlands.

Every 1st Wednesday of the month in Amsterdam: Meetup.com/BitcoinWednesday

---------------------

- The Easiest Way to Send Bitcoin to Anyone on Twitter
The future of cash has no borders.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:08:19 PM

I would advertise more. Ive never heard of Pikapay, and its not a great name for the service in my opinion. Tippercoin gets all the press lately, and by the name you can kind of tell what they do.   http://www.coindesk.com/tippercoin-co-founder-bitcoin-interview/
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:19:08 PM

An integrated, end-to-end, automated system that
enables a first social networking user to seamlessly
transfer value to a second social networking user, even if
the second user is not registered with the money transfer
service from which the first user initiates the transfer...

Doesn't this describes how the Reddit bitcointip bot operates?

pikapay (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 09:39:13 PM

Yes, Reddit's Bitcoin bot also falls into this category.  Even outside of Bitcoin there are many services that work the same way.

BitcoinWednesday.com - The monthly conference on the digital currency revolution in The Netherlands.

---------------------

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:38:40 AM

Please don't post "news" and then a massive advert for your site in the same post. Its not cool, sorry.
pikapay (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 07:27:30 AM

Please don't post "news" and then a massive advert for your site in the same post. Its not cool, sorry.

Good point. Just overlooked that, thanks. I reduced the size so you can still see the Tweet.  Is that better?

Someone recently suggested we get a lawyer and file our own patent.  Good advice?

---------------------

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:13:35 AM

Good point. Just overlooked that, thanks. I reduced the size so you can still see the Tweet.  Is that better?

Someone recently suggested we get a lawyer and file our own patent.  Good advice?

I would say that is a big waste of money. Patents cost about 30k and you cant take on Amex
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:15:47 PM

Was it a lawyer that suggested that? Wink
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:00:49 PM

+1
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:35:51 PM

+1

Lol sneaky bastards they are. I'm not sure you could even get a patent for this anyway. Wont it be rejected?
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 07:26:02 PM

+1

Lol sneaky bastards they are. I'm not sure you could even get a patent for this anyway. Wont it be rejected?
you know at these big companies these people have to somehow justify their jobs.

guys i own copyrights to this entire thread, i'll be expecting my royalty checks in the mail.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:19:12 AM

I would.  Your idea is worth fighting for, IMO.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:36:52 AM

I would.  Your idea is worth fighting for, IMO.

What idea is that?
pikapay (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:03:34 PM

PikaPay.com Though of course that's not our only idea.

---------------------

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: