Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:07:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One Woman's Quest to Bring Bitcoin to Botswana  (Read 1350 times)
Gabit (OP)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:31:04 PM

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/one-womans-quest-to-bring-bitcoin-to-botswana

Spotted this in Reddit, and in 4h she already has over 1.7BTC in donations.  It is always amazing to see how frictionless this thing is; some woman in point of Africa gets a quite nice sum of money from all around the world in few hours. Quite nice Smiley

The address she was promoting:
https://blockchain.info/address/12b1DiJs7FpzGHtjhPnpZBfK6Tn9LvWrVv

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:43:10 PM

In b4 people start correctly guessing this could be used as laundering methods for al shabab, etc. Anyone who thinks more with bleeding heart than brains will soon find themselves being questioned about why they sent money to someone in africa without fully understanding who might be on the other side.

Also, if you think they have found a solution by getting some bitcoins, you are sadly mistaken. They will do their very best to hide the fact that they are into it at all.
proton

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:47:35 AM

She deserves heartfelt congratulations and bitcoin donations.

The world needs more people like her.  And less bigotry!
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:17:42 AM

Not to sound like an asshole or anything, I mean this is really nice and good charity and all.

But I think third-world countries who are going through difficult times need more then just money thrown at them to solve the problems they're having. Again, not to denounce this because it's still nice to hear stories like this, but I think Botswana needs more support in the form of a good Infrastructure and Governmental overhauls; serious long-term goals rather then just some money. 
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:48:33 AM

Botswana are relatively advanced and stable in comparison to most of the continent, but good on her nonetheless.
Chillin_with_beer

Activity: 43

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:54:57 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 08:07:04 AM by Chillin_with_beer

Not to sound like an asshole or anything, I mean this is really nice and good charity and all.

But I think third-world countries who are going through difficult times need more then just money thrown at them to solve the problems they're having. Again, not to denounce this because it's still nice to hear stories like this, but I think Botswana needs more support in the form of a good Infrastructure and Governmental overhauls; serious long-term goals rather then just some money.  

That is true, but a big change can't suddenly happen by itself, it has to grow from smaller initiatives (especially when governments don't want things to change). Actions like these fuel a lot of these small, yet important improvements.
dego

Activity: 399

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

That lady does more for BTC than most of you. Even if she'd be only looking for some satoshis, she will be an ambassador as she will spread word about it. So stfu and spare some satoshis...
drof69

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:34:10 PM

Just an FYI, she is the founder of Bitcoin Botswana. The very group the Quantum Leap Foundation Inc. is working with.
bitconfused

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 11:10:24 PM

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/one-womans-quest-to-bring-bitcoin-to-botswana

Spotted this in Reddit, and in 4h she already has over 1.7BTC in donations.  It is always amazing to see how frictionless this thing is; some woman in point of Africa gets a quite nice sum of money from all around the world in few hours. Quite nice Smiley

The address she was promoting:
https://blockchain.info/address/12b1DiJs7FpzGHtjhPnpZBfK6Tn9LvWrVv

The Quantum Leap Foundation Inc. has been working directly with her since her first article was published on motherboard.vice.com! A followup story will soon be posted, but if you would like to see the progress please visit the following link(s)!

www.bitconfused.org/africa
www.bitconfused.org/botswana
www.facebook.com/groups/bitcrazy
pakojunior
Copper Member

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:47:03 PM

i am humbled by all the responses,each response whether negative or positive have a reason behind it. I still continue working for the campaign for Bitcoin,i have shared the Bitcoins I received and one boy was able to purchase his first camera and he is running his own graphic design business,He is planning to create a program similar to 37coins and this make me very happy that i have brought something good and changed someone's life. I continue my campaign and i have started my store to store campaign with the hope that they start accepting Bitcoins.

In June we will(together with Quantum leap foundation) work with SOS children's village to give and bring hope through Bitcoin to these children.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iottcg7Gn0s. I know Bitcoin might be clouded with some negative energy but let us not let this cloud the good it can bring.12b1DiJs7FpzGHtjhPnpZBfK6Tn9LvWrVv
Kate_Ngubanga

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 08:09:20 PM

Women are not little, I know that my friends and I also like to sit on the bureau to find out the prices, participation in the bounty also attracts, as well as long-term investments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: