Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be on the lookout for this scam.. Just got it in my email  (Read 4863 times)
andrewboy44 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:36:36 PM

Lookout for this email. Definitely a scam

Edit: not sure why the image isnt coming up, let me try another website.
My name isn't even david and who would give their private key and password over to a stranger... plus the message was sent from an amazon cloud.
SCAM SCAM SCAM. Dont download, just will give you a virus plus probably steal your wallet.dat

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:42:35 PM

I received the same e-mail. I'm trying to figure out why/how I got myself onto a list that identifies me as a BTC user.

Sent from:

Erwann Genson noreply@thehelixchallenge.com.hk via amazonses.com
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:45:13 PM

I received the same e-mail. I'm trying to figure out why/how I got myself onto a list that identifies me as a BTC user.

I think it may have happened from when someone hack bitcointalk.org. But I'm not sure. If you find out anything please let me know
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:46:14 PM

Lookout for this email. Definitely a scam

My name isn't even david and who would give their private key and password over to a stranger... plus the message was sent from an amazon cloud.
SCAM SCAM SCAM. Dont download, just will give you a virus plus probably steal your private key

Why didn't you post the internet header on this email?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:48:55 PM

I got the same thing, it also called me David, which I thought was weird, since I wonder how someone would get my e-mail address but not my name with it.  I mean it's not like I make a secret of it!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:49:47 PM

Just keeping my email private.    

Erwann Genson <noreply@thehelixchallenge.com.hk>
to:    (my email)  
date:    Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM
subject:    Wallet Backup
mailed-by:    amazonses.com

Edit:the 3:11 pm is really 6:11pm. This computer has the wrong time ha
GnB

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:50:15 PM

Lookout for this email. Definitely a scam http://s14.postimg.org/jss6jfeht/image.jpg

SCAM SCAM SCAM. Dont download, just will give you a virus plus probably steal your private key

I'm also wondering this lol

EDIT: Spoke to soon, thanks OP
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:52:03 PM

Sent from:

I got it too, looks like they pulled the emails from the mtgox leak that happened a while back.

kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:56:19 PM

Sent from:

I got it too, looks like they pulled the emails from the mtgox leak that happened a while back.
I do not have a MtGox account.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 11:58:55 PM

Sent from:

This is getting weird.. I'm convinced they got our emails from bitcointalk when it was hacked with the man in the middle attack. But in all honesty, I could care less. Just have to educate others (new people to btc) on these spam emails even though common sense says don't download
mckmuze

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:06:57 AM

I got this too just today. Pretty annoying.
matriculator

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:15:27 AM

I got the same thing, it also called me David, which I thought was weird, since I wonder how someone would get my e-mail address but not my name with it.  I mean it's not like I make a secret of it!

It's to create the illusion that you got it by mistake.
TehoM

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:17:35 AM

How exactly did they get your email?
What sites use that email address?
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:18:26 AM

Confirmed I also received it, reported it as spam.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
HappyS
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:20:08 AM

I also received it, fucking spamers.

Haм нyжны бoтинки для гoльфa, инaчe мы oтcюдa нe выбepeмcя.
13H5Cu9ixeud7kiD52mDXrR7NWgc2PERdJ
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:21:31 AM

Isn't there a guy named David who operates a wallet recovery service?

EDIT: Yep http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/testimonials.html

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
andrewboy44 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:22:22 AM

How exactly did they get your email?
What sites use that email address?

It was sent to my main email which is used for a lot of things including multiple bitcoin related things. If multiple bitcoin users have gotten this is narrows it down to either bitcointalk.org or a bitcoin exchange platform. Only options really
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:24:45 AM

this scam has been going around for a few months. its supposedly written as a message to a friend of the sender asking them to sort out the issue, and appear like the email was sent mistakenly to the recipients.

a ploy to make the recipients feel that they have won the jackpot because someone (apparently) stupidly sent them their wallet.

this is not the case, its a ploy to get people to download scam software that will risk your own wallet.

do not touch emails with attachments unless you know the recipient personally and can slap them with a wet fish if they mess with your own wallet

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TH3xR34P3R

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 12:53:01 AM

this scam has been going around for a few months. its supposedly written as a message to a friend of the sender asking them to sort out the issue, and appear like the email was sent mistakenly to the recipients.

a ploy to make the recipients feel that they have won the jackpot because someone (apparently) stupidly sent them their wallet.

this is not the case, its a ploy to get people to download scam software that will risk your own wallet.

do not touch emails with attachments unless you know the recipient personally and can slap them with a wet fish if they mess with your own wallet

Not just your wallet but your entire system and any machines on the network, my gut tells me this is a variation to try get people to run Cryptolocker, I made a psa on r/bitcoinsec and cross posted to r/bitcoin. I will add this thread to the post aswell.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:03:40 AM

Sent from:

This is getting weird.. I'm convinced they got our emails from bitcointalk when it was hacked with the man in the middle attack. But in all honesty, I could care less. Just have to educate others (new people to btc) on these spam emails even though common sense says don't download
I use a different email address on this site and haven't received any spam to that address.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: