Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:23:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Assistance Needed for 2012 Bitcoin Convention - San Antonio, Texas  (Read 6726 times)
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 12:54:15 AM

i'd like to see the following speakers:

ALISON

I can make that happen!  She paid for her lunch at Meze Grill with bitcoins, so she's a pro by now!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:59:52 AM

ALISON

I can make that happen!  She paid for her lunch at Meze Grill with bitcoins, so she's a pro by now!

i keep threatening to come to one of these just to meet her but then again, i'm just a tease Wink
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 01:04:29 AM

ALISON

Now that session would definitely be filled to capacity!

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 01:09:36 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2011, 01:38:54 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

From the judgement of the users on this forum it should probably be in some Amish town in Indiana.

YES! On a Tuesday and Wednesday in Shipshewana: http://www.tradingplaceamerica.com/

I'm tellin' you, Amos. Bitcoin gonna to increase our fireplace sales three fold.

I don't have enough invested in bitcoin to justify flying off to somewhere else at this point, but if another conference is held in NYC I will offer my film / live streaming production services for both pc / mac video and shoutcast radio and android and iphone apps.  If the location is other than NYC and some donations can be raised to get me and my equipment to the destination, that's also a possibility.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39874.msg486378#msg486378

I nominate Blackout to handle all the video production for the next Bitcoin conveference, if held in the US, with the organizers, and whoever also wishes to, collectively pay all his expenses. I'll pledge/donate at least $100 (or BTC equivalent at close to time of BTCLV2012 [just made that up] date) to get the ball rolling. Or we can put it in escrow till the time comes. 29,28,27,26...Just counting down the seconds till his truly jumps on this thread and states he'll hold the money. Seriously, I believe Blackout would be a great asset for the next conference.

Opinions! Blackout, you game?

Amit@bitcoin-central.net

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 02:01:01 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!    TORONTO, CANADA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We host the Toroto Stock Exchange and it is the best ideal place for an event for Bitcoiners.

Try to Avoid hosting it in Winters as it might be hard for some fellow bitcoiners who are not used to the extreme cold weather.

Cheers!!!!!!!!
Amit
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:49:49 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!    TORONTO, CANADA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We host the Toroto Stock Exchange and it is the best ideal place for an event for Bitcoiners.

Try to Avoid hosting it in Winters as it might be hard for some fellow bitcoiners who are not used to the extreme cold weather.

Hey, what about us Bitcoiners who grew up in cold climates and love it when it's 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside? Sad

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
FlipPro
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

This is exactly how conferences should be! This entire centralization of just one person handling everything was a bad idea to start with. I think the best idea is for everyone in every major city to organize and plan ahead (atleast 4-5 months for good organization and promo).
tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:11:08 AM

ORLANDO is a great choice.  The flights are cheap and frequent, the hotels are cheap and plentiful.  and the weather is great from October to May!
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:22:00 AM

It doesn't matter where you host the conference. Just give each attendee one free bitcoin, that will be one big magnet.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:41:08 AM

Get a firm date . I will set-up Boston. Entrance fees will be in Bitcoin. I still want to do the video wall.... so if any other location wants to be connected say something.
Gonna try and get some local farmers markets to accept BTC as well.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 11:05:51 AM

Oh YES! Make all the fast food places around the location aware of the geeks coming and tell them that accepting BTC will definitely be a selling point during the conference Wink Maybe BTC can grow in the real world after successfully seeding some spots with such conferences.

When on a conference, all I buy locally is fast food late at night but maybe other businesses should be briefed, too. Tell them you will have a list of local businesses accepting BTC on the conference website. Most likely if you have a hair dresser accepting bitcoin for the free advertisement, one out of 50 guests would even get his hair cut.

And please give such businesses all the support to get started free of charge. Most likely the local bitcoin community would love to help out.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 02:45:35 PM

I was a little surprised that there wasn't at least a small surge in demand for bitcoins after the New York conference, but then I realized, everyone who attended was already immersed in the bitcoin world. After some careful consideration, I realized that, in order for this event to ever be more than a glorified meetup, it needs to be open to the public.

This means that sponsors and vendors will have to pay more, but it also means that they will get greater exposure. It should also encourage bitcoiners to bring their spouses and significant others to the show so that they can see how vibrant and exciting our growing economy really is.

Once I get a website up, I may begin taking donations so that we can even set up a booth at the show to help beginners download the client, set up a wallet, and purchase or trade for their first bitcoin.

Still around.
Blackout

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 12:12:01 AM

From the judgement of the users on this forum it should probably be in some Amish town in Indiana.

YES! On a Tuesday and Wednesday in Shipshewana: http://www.tradingplaceamerica.com/

I'm tellin' you, Amos. Bitcoin gonna to increase our fireplace sales three fold.

I don't have enough invested in bitcoin to justify flying off to somewhere else at this point, but if another conference is held in NYC I will offer my film / live streaming production services for both pc / mac video and shoutcast radio and android and iphone apps.  If the location is other than NYC and some donations can be raised to get me and my equipment to the destination, that's also a possibility.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39874.msg486378#msg486378

I nominate Blackout to handle all the video production for the next Bitcoin conveference, if held in the US, with the organizers, and whoever also wishes to, collectively pay all his expenses. I'll pledge/donate at least $100 (or BTC equivalent at close to time of BTCLV2012 [just made that up] date) to get the ball rolling. Or we can put it in escrow till the time comes. 29,28,27,26...Just counting down the seconds till his truly jumps on this thread and states he'll hold the money. Seriously, I believe Blackout would be a great asset for the next conference.

Opinions! Blackout, you game?

Thanks for the kind words. I definitely would be game as long as I don't have any shooting conflicts with other projects... as a date / location firms up I'll be able to give a definite answer.

Loved the Amish subtext. Lol.

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 12:45:31 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2011, 01:20:06 AM by Vladimir

I'd love to go on "all expenses paid" trip to a conference like this. Particularly if many people from that list are present.

I would present a talk on mining (novice and intermediate level). And maybe even hold a raffle (free of course) for some of my super-puper  secret mining rig cases.  Roll Eyes

@cypherdoc: one more person for your list: ArtForz

-
cypherdoc
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 02:06:30 AM

I'd love to go on "all expenses paid" trip to a conference like this. Particularly if many people from that list are present.

I would present a talk on mining (novice and intermediate level). And maybe even hold a raffle (free of course) for some of my super-puper  secret mining rig cases.  Roll Eyes

@cypherdoc: one more person for your list: ArtForz

funny, i thought of him after i added Falkvinge and S3052 but got lazy.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 04:05:37 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2011, 04:29:03 AM by edd

Okay, here's what I'm planning:

Where: San Antonio, Texas, USA

San Antonio is a very popular convention and conference destination. It's roughly equidistant from the east and west coasts, has pleasant weather most of the year, and has attractions and accommodations to appeal to just about any traveler. I also happen to live here and, considering the amount of work I have cut out for me, this was definitely something I had to take into consideration. For more info see: http://www.visitsanantonio.com/index.aspx

Space is available at the dowtown convention center. They're holding 80,000 square feet of exhibit space and two large meeting rooms for panels and discussions. For those of you concerned about internet capabilities, I took the liberty of copying the following from their website -

Smart City Networks offers high-speed Internet access using Ethernet protocols to all exhibit spaces and meeting rooms. Our network service professionals offer turnkey data networking services that enable you to create Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs) and Private Networks using the latest technology. Also available is an entry-level wireless service ideal for web surfing and checking email. Smart City’s 802.11g wireless network can be accessed throughout the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center by using a WiFi™ compatible network card. The wireless network provides Internet access of up to 256k of bandwidth, servicing exhibitors as well as attendees. Custom configurations are available.

The unique event technology offers on-line services that will set your events apart from any other. You can create Internet broadcasts of your events that can be seen worldwide, send video e-mails to promote your event, or you can set up customized Internet access and e-mail centers for your attendees. Be creative with your Internet needs. Smart City Networks is dedicated to fulfilling your every technical need.

When: 2012 - March 16th, 17th, and 18th

March seventeenth is St. Patrick's Day and Spring is the best time of year to visit Central Texas.

Lodging:

I'm in the process of locking in a rate of $199/night at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio for the above dates for 200 rooms. This price will include High Speed Internet access in guest rooms. No one will be under any obligation to stay here, but this hotel is right next door to the convention center.

Cost of admission: Free

Sponsors and vendors will need to step up and cover the cost of this event. I'm convinced that one of the things bitcoin needs to grow is more exposure, and what better way than to invite anyone and everyone who can make their way to San Antonio and find a couch to crash on?

Who: Almost everyone I've corresponded with has been very enthusiastic about attending but couldn't commit without knowing the dates. I've finally been able to get firm rates for lodging and convention center space, so I should have some names to post soon.

I'll be putting up a website soon with all of this information and updating it as things coalesce. I'll also be relying on all of you to suggest topics for panels and other discussion groups.

Still around.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 12:55:58 PM

This sounds like a great plan.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 04:42:48 PM

Any suggestions for a theme?

I was thinking of something like "The Bitcoin Paradigm". Discussions could center on how bitcoins are changing the way we think of money, the internet, computing, government, etc.

Still around.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:06:26 PM

This sounds like a great plan.

Don't book the hotel too soon. Bitcoin may be over by then. If Bitcoin is still alive by the holiday season, go for it.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 02:48:28 AM

Any suggestions for a theme?

I was thinking of something like "The Bitcoin Paradigm". Discussions could center on how bitcoins are changing the way we think of money, the internet, computing, government, etc.

Are you accepting sponsors?

Of course!

Actually, I just got the proposal from the hotel and convention center earlier today and haven't had a chance to go over it yet. Once I have a solid figure as to what it's going to cost to pull this thing off, I'll start soliciting from likely sponsors and exhibitors. I'd like to give sponsors credit in relationship to the share of the expenses they cover. Every expense I cover, will be on behalf of BitBrew, including my time and effort.

If you have a set amount you would like to send right now, send me a PM. I should have the website up in a few days and it would be great to already have some "official" sponsors.

BTW, is there anyone in the San Antonio or Austin area who would like to help? There is a 24 hour restaurant downtown about 8 blocks from the convention center that I would like to convince to accept bitcoins before March comes around. If you have an opportunity, stop by Mi Tierra and encourage them to accept BTC.

Still around.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: