Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:58:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Consolidating Trend -- A Page From Arepo's Notes  (Read 6080 times)
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:05:31 PM

update!

calling the short-term bottom here -- we will likely not see prices below $859/$765 (gox/stamp) for the next 3 - 5 days*.

Any update?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ft73

Activity: 564
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:17:06 PM

update!

calling the short-term bottom here -- we will likely not see prices below $859/$765 (gox/stamp) for the next 3 - 5 days*.

Any update?

I thought the same a few hours ago.
The problem is this does not look like a bottom.
No strength, no rebound.
arepo (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:01:48 PM

update!

Any update?

1-day scale @ bitstamp

https://i.imgur.com/eAdJQ6j.png

===

don't worry guys, lots of selling pressure, but the bids keep filling in. as long as we stay within the bounds of the larger 1-day scale ascending triangle, and continue to see decreasing volume, we're still consolidating. no call on the direction of the breakout, yet, but that support is showing incredible strength and i stand by yesterday's call of 3 - 5 days of consolidation from 08 Jan. in other words -- don't panic! the market is still deciding on a direction.

a closer look:

4-hour scale @ bitstamp

https://i.imgur.com/ofOOtcC.png

===

in the last 4-hour period, which has about 8 minutes left, we see a high-volume 'doji' candle (long wicks, small body) associated with large volume. this is a classic reversal candle. on this scale, it corresponds with a bounce off of the moving support of the larger ascending triangle. so long as we don't break below this candle today, the model is sound.

keep in mind that these calls are for swing traders only, and are all micro-term. this 4-hour-scale bounce is not bullish for the coming week, but this selling pressure isn't necessarily bearish either. this is all small-scale fractal behavior within a consolidation pattern within a larger trend.

also, just a note for the curious, since triangle consolidation patterns are fractal patterns, they often have this tendency to break out into larger (longer timeframe) triangle consolidation patterns, finding higher or lower supports each time, so that the final formation can be described as a number of self-similar triangles embedded within one another. in the 4-hour diagram you can see the smaller ascending triangle i was tracking earlier, which did decisively break downwards, but having made a higher low, is forming into the ascending triangle we now see on the 1-day scale. neat, huh? Wink

--arepo

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:06:32 PM

update!

just a quick clarification -- 3 - 5 days from 08 Jan, including that day, so we may see a breakout as early as tomorrow.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:08:05 PM

Nice to watch the fractal patterns you are pointing out in your posts!

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:09:42 PM

love your posts
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:28:24 PM

Oops! There goes that fractal!

I guess news does trigger things in some cases.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:38:36 PM

sorry? i'm not sure what you're trying to say. and please come off it with the news thing... didn't Blitz just demonstrate how that whole thing works in the wall observer thread? haha

edit:

love your posts

thanks! always glad to hear this Smiley

T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:44:23 PM

sorry? i'm not sure what you're trying to say. and please come off it with the news thing... didn't Blitz just demonstrate how that whole thing works in the wall observer thread? haha

What? Was that a post explaining that reports are pre-written and when the price moves published if suiting the movement?

That wouldn't apply in the case of the Overstock news.

Perhaps you mean something else? I haven't been checking the threads so much recently. Been working, you know!  Smiley

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:17:19 PM

What? Was that a post explaining that reports are pre-written and when the price moves published if suiting the movement?

That wouldn't apply in the case of the Overstock news.

Perhaps you mean something else? I haven't been checking the threads so much recently. Been working, you know!  Smiley

no, no, the thing about how news doesn't affect price the way you think it affects price. news affects traders the way traders affect price, i.e. bad news is popular during natural periods of FUD and vice versa -- news can and will be spun according the the emotions of the traders.

what confused me more was your comment about the fractal?

4-hour scale @ bitstamp

https://i.imgur.com/ofOOtcC.png

in my last post i correctly identified a micro-term bottom using the fractal model. "oops there it goes!" makes no sense in this context. Tongue

--arepo

T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:20:31 PM

My comment wasn't relating to the fractal in particular - like I said I was enjoying watching it form!

It was just to point out that the Overstock news caused a mini-rally and that this news was not caused by trader sentiment, a market move, or anything else.

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
Rdeschain

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:32:40 PM

Hey Arepo,

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts and this thread in particular. I'm as hopeful as T. Stuart is for the long term but not sure how he justifies flippantly marginalizing your hard work, which since I began tracking it, has been extremely accurate.

While I can appreciate his enthusiasm and tend to agree that hodling will yield long term benefit and gain, isn't there value in short term gains in earning some fiat or making the right moves to maximize your btc holdings as well? IDK, I'm just a dumb noob with much to learn.
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:36:44 PM

Hey Arepo,

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts and this thread in particular. I'm as hopeful as T. Stuart is for the long term but not sure how he justifies flippantly marginalizing your hard work, which since I began tracking it, has been extremely accurate.

While I can appreciate his enthusiasm and tend to agree that hodling will yield long term benefit and gain, isn't there value in short term gains in earning some fiat or making the right moves to maximize your btc holdings as well? IDK, I'm just a dumb noob with much to learn.

Not marginalizing Arepo's work.

I regularly ask him questions and they are sincere.

I happen to think he is one of the more balanced analysts.

But I feel like analysts, particularly those who have been around for a while, are spending too much time using data from previous bubbles and not able to keep up with changes in fundamentals. It is not their fault particularly - the situation is difficult to read because it is being influenced by virality and factors difficult to factor into day to day calculations. I have explained this in several posts.

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:54:44 PM

My comment wasn't relating to the fractal in particular - like I said I was enjoying watching it form!

It was just to point out that the Overstock news caused a mini-rally and that this news was not caused by trader sentiment, a market move, or anything else.

it's funny that you claim to know for sure what caused the move up. i would take the scientific approach and say that the fractal model is sufficient to predict that the price would move up after such a large volume bounce off of the moving support, and so Occam's Razor encourages me to ignore any other data. it is because of this that i believe market forces win against news every time. in fact, i have empirical evidence to support this claim, while you merely assume that it was the news Tongue

Hey Arepo,

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your posts and this thread in particular ... which since I began tracking it, has been extremely accurate.

i appreciate the good words and the accountability! it's good to know that many others are also independently testing my work with positive results.

trading on the scales i have been commenting on in this issue of "Arepo's Notes" is a little hectic, and very risky. the longer time scales you apply these methods to, however, the more likely you will make profits, and this is simply due to the stochastic nature of price movement versus the deterministic rules that govern its internal structure. it is simultaneously a fractal with consistent patterns, and a stochastic function that is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy. on smaller scales it looks like a random walk, but as you zoom out it begins to look like a smooth and continuous function, and on scales in-between you will find consistent nested patterns with startling consistency.

that being said, spotting tops and bottoms is essentially the main way to increase your holdings during longer trends. buying as close to market bottoms as possible to make gains in BTC and selling as close to market tops to make gains in USD both work for me, personally. i do believe in the long-term future of Bitcoin and its heretofore undisturbed infinite bullrun, but trading the swings on all scales is not only lucrative, but also very fun Smiley it's easy to calculate the returns one would make simply holding, and my methods have shown to outperform this benchmark consistently. i would recommend that you pick a simple strategy and test it out for some time period, and then compare your returns to what you would have made simply holding. then divide the amount of hours you spent working with predictive models by the additional gains, and decide whether or not actively trading is a worthwhile strategy for you!

happy trading Wink

--arepo

arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:58:01 PM

the situation is difficult to read because it is being influenced by virality and factors difficult to factor into day to day calculations. I have explained this in several posts.

you should read up on the Efficient Market Hypothesis and consider how much of what you claim is externally influencing price may already be contained within the price and volume data itself. if a sufficient amount of such information is somehow contained in the data already, then the data itself is the complete picture. traders, through their actions, factor things like virality and fundamentals into the price data with their every action, so there's no need to develop models as to how these things might affect the price as if they were external to it. i hope that clears some things up.

--arepo

T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:01:51 PM

it's funny that you claim to know for sure what caused the move up. i would take the scientific approach and say that the fractal model is sufficient to predict that the price would move up after such a large volume bounce off of the moving support, and so Occam's Razor encourages me to ignore any other data. it is because of this that i believe market forces win against news every time. in fact, i have empirical evidence to support this claim, while you merely assume that it was the news Tongue

--arepo

You are joking aren't you?  Sad Come on please. If you can't admit simple facts that everyone (including people who can't do maths, geometry, etc.) can see with their own eyes then what's the point?

So it is just a coincidence that the Overstock news came online and minutes later the rally (which is still going well) happened?

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:08:02 PM

until the big boy exchanges come on board it is not that hard to see the churn that the bots do to grab money so picking ranges between each major moves can be easy money if you don't leave your screen for too long.

I called the 770-810 range and had to adjust a little higher but have made good returns sticking to this.. 5 cycles so far, will the overstock news bring us up or is it the volume consolidation to the bots that they will spike us up now and then level down again?

I've always believed you invest on what you think, but trade on what you think others think  (b-level bots in this case)

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:12:33 PM

--arepo

You are joking aren't you?  Sad Come on please. If you can't admit simple facts that everyone (including people who can't do maths, geometry, etc.) can see with their own eyes then what's the point?

So it is just a coincidence that the Overstock news came online and minutes later the rally (which is still going well) happened?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empirical_evidence

So, were those who expected the bounce this morning -- absent Overstock news -- wrong?

What is your evidence that the news caused the rally? You are suggesting that absent this news, the market would not have rallied. What is your evidence for that?
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

Good call, arepo. Let's see what the next days bring.

Ignore the people who think it all reduces to news. News matters, but not in the way they think it does.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:14:19 PM

Good call, arepo. Let's see what the next days bring.

Ignore the people who think it all reduces to news. News matters, but not in the way they think it does.

I don't think it all reduces to news at all. If you have a minute or two please explain briefly how it matters in the way you think it does. I would be very grateful for the insight!

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: