Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:04:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Resigning as a moderator  (Read 2681 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 11:25:42 AM

Due to all the scandalous shit that is happening and being permitted to happen on these forums I am resigning as a bitcoin forum moderator.

I no longer want to be affiliated with this forum or it's running operations.

I will retain my account, so anyone who want to can continue to keep in contact with me.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:34:17 AM

Basically you wanted to ban a bunch of people and were (wisely) overruled by an admin who understands that it is better to openly discuss things than to try and hide what everyone can already see anyway.
In your own topic you said it was bad to name and shame and good to have a good discussion, and then procedeed yourself to name and shame and avoided having a real on-topic discussion.

But still, said to see someone who put in effort leave the place. I wish you the best!

Oh, and I hear tweetforum is looking for people to help the owner ban others, maybe a good opportunity? Tongue Wink
(Just kidding)

P.S. shouldn't this be in the Meta forum?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:42:29 AM

I don't blame you for resigning.

Best of luck to you!
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:49:26 AM

Due to all the scandalous shit that is happening and being permitted to happen on these forums I am resigning as a bitcoin forum moderator.

I no longer want to be affiliated with this forum or it's running operations.

I will retain my account, so anyone who want to can continue to keep in contact with me.

Nefario.
Understandable move. When the current trend continues bitcointalk.org will be a 4chan/b clone in a few weeks Sad

@the_duke:
I know I should not ask, but could you please state what is your real agenda here? Reading all your posts I somehow doubt that it has to do anything with bitcoins.
The_Duke

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:54:47 AM

@the_duke:
I know I should not ask, but could you please state what is your real agenda here? Reading all your posts I somehow doubt that it has to do anything with bitcoins.

This forum is about bitcoin. If I had any other agenda than bitcoin, don't you think I'd find some different forum to say what I have to say?
I own an ok-ish sum of bitcoins, I told my collegues, my friends and my family about bitcoin. But now I can't really defend it any more to them. It's kinda hard to keep saying it's all good and great with all the recent events.
I had great hopes for bitcoin and I was looking forward to the bitcoin meeting's results, news, spinoffs etc.
But I have been seriously dissapointed in Bruces actions the past month or so, the way he talks about it, the way he refuses to listen to the community and of course by all the recent stuff we got to learn about him.

My agenda? It's being pissed off about Bruce and what he did to bitcoin.

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:24:32 PM

@the_duke:

This forum is about bitcoin. If I had any other agenda than bitcoin, don't you think I'd find some different forum to say what I have to say?
I own an ok-ish sum of bitcoins, I told my collegues, my friends and my family about bitcoin. But now I can't really defend it any more to them. It's kinda hard to keep saying it's all good and great with all the recent events.
I had great hopes for bitcoin and I was looking forward to the bitcoin meeting's results, news, spinoffs etc.
But I have been seriously dissapointed in Bruces actions the past month or so, the way he talks about it, the way he refuses to listen to the community and of course by all the recent stuff we got to learn about him.

My agenda? It's being pissed off about Bruce and what he did to bitcoin.

Well, I addressed you as you are one of more vocal members here.

Do I agree with everything from him? Of course not! Does it annoy me that he seems to be stubborn? Sure.
But as a matter of fact Bruce has done a lot for bitcoin. He helps to expand the user base. He actually does conferences and so on. You know, most bitcoin users are geeks and nerds. But to reach some critical masses we have to add average people to the mix. And Bruce is one them, at least in the not-a-geek sense.
Now do I care if he like cheap gay hookers? Why should I? I mean, maybe you are even worse. Would I care? Hell, no. There are government bodies that care if something is criminal. So why is it your business to call names on someone for being gay?

In the end we want bitcoins to be used by everyone, and that includes all types of people - very conservatives (like you?) and even extreme gay ones. It seems that people like you want to somehow ban people with a different world view from using bitcoins. Why is that? Long years of conservative conditioning? Religion? Some other fundamentalism?
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:26:15 PM

We all reap what we sow.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:29:54 PM

P.S. shouldn't this be in the Meta forum?

Good call on that.
VPoro

Activity: 201

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:39:13 PM

I have to say that I agree with Nefario - Bitcoin is what we make it to be, and if we want to turn the project into a manhunt or a filth flinging contest, that's not really what I want to be a part of. Let's not turn this thread into another "Bruce is xxx" argument; what does it matter what he is? He is not Bitcoin, we all are as a community. If we assume that he is what he is accused of, the best thing we can do is to completely ignore him.

If I would be a new user, the first thing I would check out would be the general discussion forum, and as it is now, it is not the best of publicity for the project. Why are we allowing a manhunt on a public forum? I do believe in free speech, however, and thus if the administration wants to allow a manhunt, it could be done in a separate subforum, not in the "main" discussion forum of Bitcoin. As of now, the community is doing more damage to itself by endlessly discussing the topic than any Bitcoin conference or a single person could ever do.

Just live and let live, if someone wants to keep a Bitcoin conference in Pattaya, let them. If you think it's a haven for scum, don't go and just ignore it. If enough people just ignore the issue, it will fall below radar in no time at all. In a peer-to-peer project, anyone is free to start a fork of the blockchain or arrange a conference or whatever. Also, in a p2p environment, it's up to the network (people) if the new thing catches on.

Let's not destroy the great thing we've built so far, together as a community we can get over issues like this.

Best regards,

VP

iBid     ▐     Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain    (    About us    Telegram   )
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬             AN  AUCTION    ❱   All auctions start at     $0

[  ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store  ]   ██ SIGN UP ██        with no minimum reserve
The_Duke

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:46:39 PM

But as a matter of fact Bruce has done a lot for bitcoin. He helps to expand the user base. He actually does conferences and so on.

My opinion is that he has hurt bitcoin more than do it good. Almost all the things he was involved in have been either creating, or been surrounded with, negative publicity. He is extremely boastful, hyping and over-exagerating in everything he does which is (imho) the exact oposite of what bitcoin needs.

You know, most bitcoin users are geeks and nerds. But to reach some critical masses we have to add average people to the mix.  

I fully agree.

And Bruce is one them, at least in the not-a-geek sense.

I fully disagree. Bruce comes across as weird, con-ish, geeky and since yesterday creepy as well. It's not what bitcoin needs.

Now do I care if he like cheap gay hookers? Why should I? I mean, maybe you are even worse. Would I care? Hell, no. There are government bodies that care if something is criminal. So why is it your business to call names on someone for being gay?

I don't care if he's is gay. I also don't care if he likes gay hookers.
But as soon as he starts pushing towards a bitcoin "conference" in a location that he obviously has other interests in and by that connecting bitcoin to stuff I feel bitcoin should not be associated with, then I start caring.

very conservatives (like you?)

Lol, what? I think your character assessment of me is very flawed. Cheesy

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:49:08 PM

Let's not destroy the great thing we've built so far, together as a community we can get over issues like this.
+1

nothing more to add

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:51:20 PM

hang on peeps ... bitcoin q&a site is approved and coming soon: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30763/bitcoin-crypto-currency
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:08:16 PM

I think decisions made in the heat of the moment not allways are the best long-term-wise and you should take a couple of days to think this over.

But this is just my opinion.

oh btw. great respect for all mods & admin of this forum.

FAtlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 04:32:27 PM

Can I have your stuff?
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:12:39 PM

If Naniamogold (and/or warweed) was banned then I wouldn't have crucial information on why I would never trust him.

I say instead of banning, the crazies should be restricted to their little troll sub forum.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:14:06 PM

Thanks for all of your past moderation work.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:39:51 PM

Whoa, well, Nefario was the first to help me by email when I first arrived here. Got me going forward as I was having problems with the forums as a beginner. It's strickenly sucks to see you leave man.

Well, good luck to you, I appreciate the help at the beginning.

Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 06:10:54 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes. Much appreciated.

I'll try to put my time to good use on GLBSE, got a lot to get done with that site :s

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:58:01 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes. Much appreciated.

I'll try to put my time to good use on GLBSE, got a lot to get done with that site :s

I think you will be much more productive there. This has a great promise, and you will leverage your time much better.

Best wishes.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 07:00:01 AM

Thanks for all that you've done for the community. Looking forward to great things from GLBSE!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: