Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:56:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenlandic tupilaks (and other traditional arctic crafts and knives)  (Read 21182 times)
netrin (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 01:42:19 PM

Hey Goat/Ty, I'm still quite keen on trading oolong.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 05:02:09 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2011, 03:47:53 PM by Xenland

Hey Xenland, that was kinda fast, and on a Sunday!? Actually, I don't really know when they left the island. It's just that the storms seemed to keep the planes grounded for weeks (one might have slipped away without me noticing). Did you keep the stamps and postmark? Also, the packaging doubled as a note. Hope you didn't throw that out nor that the tupilakker ate it.

Indeed cool looking stamps, I kept the stamp and a tupliakker ate his way half way through the bag Tongue

I read the entire story that the packaging came with, it was entertaining.
netrin (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 02:28:56 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2011, 03:06:08 AM by netrin

Seriously...I spent like, ten hours a couple months back reading through a bunch of awesome Greenlandic mythology. It's...unique, to say the least. I feel like the movement to record oral histories has lost steam in the past fifty years. There are still a bunch of projects to preserve them, but it seems like they are more focused on the preservation of the language rather than the culture. I just want my stories!

netrin, how can I find more? Are there some better-translated works that you can refer me to?

I saw 'Atanarjuat' many years ago. I thought it was pretty good. Maybe you'd enjoy these films. Donations appreciated (they don't yet accept bitcoin):

Fast Runner Trilogy

I've loaned out a few kilos of books and at least a dozen DVD's and VHS tapes in the past few weeks. Except for a lot of material on climate change, ice cores, and mineral surveys, it's nearly all in Danish or W. Greenlandic, except for one short film I think you might enjoy:

Echos
A film by Ivalo Frank

It's just a snapshot of a couple in Ikateq, an American airbase abandoned after WWII. Check out these photos of 300,000 rusty barrels. I thought I'd be able to see them from satellite images only about 10 km west of Tasiilaq (50km from Kulusuk).

Many of the videos are real old, a few clips from Knud Rasmussen must be about 100 years old. I just watched one film "Eskimo Vinter / Sælfolket" (Eskimo Winter / Seal people) with footage from the 60's in Canada and Greenland. Dudes making igloos, and sleds from frozen fish halves wrapped in seal skin for ski blades lashed to a reindeer antler frame. Another series that might be fascinating are documentaries of the Sirius patrol. There are a bunch of brilliant films I saw at the Inuit Circumpolar Conference last year in Nuuk, with some wild arctic mythological themes. Let me know if you're into film and I'll dig some of the best up.

As for written stories, again, nearly everything I've come across is in either Danish or Greenlandic, but many of them must have been translated from Canadian French, English, Inuktuk, maybe Russian (Chukotka).

Birgitte Sonne wrote an anthro thesis in English "The Happy Family - Myths and Ritual and Society on Nunivak" (Copenhagen, 1979)

Knud Rasmussen, who died in 1933 wrote and collected stories from all over the Arctic. He drove a team of dogs up Greenland across Canada to Alaska and was denied entry into Russia. Much of his collection was published in English after he died and matching location to story is unreliable, but the stories are all authentic.

Margaret Lantis, an American anthropologist, collected stories in northern Canada during the late 30's and published material for a half century more.

Perhaps you can find myths published by Hans Himmelheber a contemporary of Lantis in English and German. Paul Ivanoff and Edward Curtis' collections are likely perceived through thick Christian lenses. The linguist L. Hammerich translated a few Inuit stories into English himself.

It's interesting that you notice the steam drop in the past fifty years. My trail seems to end about 1970. There must be more material, I just don't know about it. What got you into the topic?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:37:44 AM

Received mine today just in time to give it for christmas! Thanks you!

Even came with a hand written note, wow!

netrin (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 07:51:42 AM

Wow, that was close. Glad it worked out.

By popular request I've asked around for matching earrings and necklaces. These are available carved from in reindeer antler. I've also made requests for several pieces of jewelry made from gorgeous muskox horn. Fine detail is not possible with muskox horn, so it's less appropriate for carving, though one guy is making me matching lucky whale tail earrings.

netrin (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 08:31:22 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2011, 08:57:57 AM by netrin

I'll definitely post photos, but it'll be a while. The earring would look quite a bit like these necklaces (half dollar) but smaller (US penny), they can be post or dangly and would cost about $50 for a pair. I'll also pick up a bunch of abstract muskox pieces of various sizes and prices.

(click to expand)

Is anyone interested in pre-ordering very thin muskox necklaces or pins, similar to the middle photo above (perhaps even thinner)? They are not traditional, somewhat my own idea, a bit fragile, though we're experimenting to perfection. When thin, colors blend through the translucent creamy-grained texture of the muskox horn. The piece will stand out while matching any skin color or piece of clothing.

Also, many of the hunters find huge hunks of ruby in the spring. If I can get a permit, might you be interested in big pieces of raw, but not gem-quality corundum? For an idea of what I'm talking about, check out Google images. The middle photo (not mine) is from Qaqat, the last photo (mine) is from Qeqertarsuatsiaat:

(click to expand)

Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 04:49:11 PM

Received the whale tail I bought! The handwritten note was perfect, very nice. The girlfriend will love it once she gets back from visiting her family in rochester, ny. Can't wait for new products, would definitely purchase again.

tt

You gotta pay
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:42:44 AM

Bump, I'd be interested in some pieces as well.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: