Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:48:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detailed tutorial explaning step by step the use of an offline armory wallet  (Read 1955 times)
Tamis (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:43:18 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 10:59:33 AM by Tamis

Hi,

I'm about to make the jump and put all my coins on cold storage using armory offline on an aspire one running latest ubuntu.
I'm having trouble finding a detailed tutorial explaining step by step how to proceed and I'm seriously worried about making a wrong move at one point or another.
Are there anywhere a very detailed tutorial explaining in detail each step of the process that would make new users less nervous ? I searched for one but did not find anything as detailed as I have in mind.

The idea of loosing my coins is really refraining me right now...

Thanks
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:31:51 PM

I responded to a similar question yesterday on email. Here is the process in a nutshell:

Once the offline computer is setup here the steps:

• Copy the Bitcoin Armory installer for your offline operating system to a USB key and install it on the offline computer.
  • Create a wallet on the offline computer.
  • Print a backup. You can print a single page, or a fragmented backup to distribute to multiple secure places and people. With a fragmented backup you only need a "M-of-N" fragments to restore your wallet, you decide M and N. For example you can make a 3-of-5 fragmented backup that requires only 3 of the 5 fragments to restore your wallet.
  • Delete and restore from the paper backup before you put any bitcoins into your wallet.
  • Create a "watching only" copy of your offline wallet, put it on a USB key, and plug it into your online computer. Make sure your installation of Bitcoin Armory on the online computer has actually gone online before you put any bitcoins into your wallet.
  • You can use the watching only copy of your wallet to receive bitcoins into your wallet that is offline.
  • You may decide to keep an online wallet with a smaller amount of bitcoins in it to spend conveniently. Spending money from the offline wallet takes a few steps and involves a USB key. The USB key that you use to spend money from your offline wallet should only be used for that purpose. Ideally you should get a very small USB key that you won't be tempted to use for any other purpose. You can think of your offline wallet as your bank, and your online wallet as your pocket. For some people their offline wallet lives in a safety deposit box at the bank. For them using their offline wallet really involves going to the bank.

I'm planning a Google Hangout "On Air" (GHOA) to record a demo of the offline setup process. Anyone who has questions about how to install Bitcoin Armory offline is welcome to join the GHOA. Just send me a personal message.

I posted a youtube video of the very first step which is installing Ubuntu on an offline computer.

Check it our here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42aZWYg9Rg

This is a work in progress. Feel free to comment and ask questions in the comments on that video. I intend to respond to questions in a separate video, and depending on the feedback, I may take the first one down and redo it.
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 07:43:58 PM

Hi,

I'm about to make the jump and put all my coins on cold storage using armory offline on an aspire one running latest ubuntu.
I'm having trouble finding a detailed tutorial explaining step by step how to proceed and I'm seriously worried about making a wrong move at one point or another.
Are there anywhere a very detailed tutorial explaining in detail each step of the process that would make new users less nervous ? I searched for one but did not find anything as detailed as I have in mind.

The idea of loosing my coins is really refraining me right now...

Thanks
http://armoryguide.com/installing-offline-armory/

I guess we could add some linux tutorials.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Tamis (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:02:22 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2014, 06:27:30 PM by Tamis

Thanks, I managed to make the jump using this page :  https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/

If test recovery works I suppose there is no point on deleting the wallet and then restoring it right !?

Is there any ways to have the balance on the offline wallet ?

Thanks
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:09:35 PM

Thanks, I managed to make the jump using this page :  https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/

If test recovery works I suppose there is no point on deleting the wallet and then restoring it right !?

Is there any ways to have the balance on the offline wallet ?

Thanks
http://armoryguide.com/watching-only-wallets/

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: