Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:12:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: longer usb cable for the risers  (Read 166 times)
deskless (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 12:23:50 PM

I am trying to increase space between GPUs and the 2ft USB wire the risers come with is not enough. Any suggestions on alternate USB cable or any USB male to male is good for the purpose.

Thanks
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:13:06 PM

I am trying to increase space between GPUs and the 2ft USB wire the risers come with is not enough. Any suggestions on alternate USB cable or any USB male to male is good for the purpose.

Thanks

USB male to male is a good option only if you can find a premium quality cable and not Chinese unbranded ones. The Chinese can work for sometime but are guaranteed to have problems in the future.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:22:59 PM

Thanks

see this thread, hope it helps

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2728597.0
AAile

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:25:21 PM

Don't know what this Bitcoinsupermo guy is talking about. I haven't been able to find a bad Chinese usb 3.0 cable yet. When you use them for risers, the data runs through them, not power. So, it's a different issue then power cables.
Any decent usb 3.0 (not 2.0!) is going to work up to 60cm (I needed 1m once and had no problem either).
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:29:37 PM

Thanks

Male to male is fine. I've used such USBs when i had to connect 19 GPUs on two different rack levels to a single motherboard. You can use most of the USBs available to your local computer stores, but my suggestion would be to look for USB 3.0s or blue colored USBs. They say these are thicker and this makes it faster and less prone to fire.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 01:35:45 PM

Don't know what this Bitcoinsupermo guy is talking about. I haven't been able to find a bad Chinese usb 3.0 cable yet. When you use them for risers, the data runs through them, not power. So, it's a different issue then power cables.
Any decent usb 3.0 (not 2.0!) is going to work up to 60cm (I needed 1m once and had no problem either).

I am talking about problems that have happened to me  while using them, many times after a crash of a mining rig, 1 or 2 cards were not recognized at first, I had to change places of PCIEX1 risers in order for the mining rig to be with 6 cards functional again. Problem were the cables. Once I changed to some gold quality 3.0 cables (i had standard 3.0 before) this problem stopped happening.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07596JC2T/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07596JC2T&pd_rd_wg=4F0RU&pd_rd_r=PKJ6A0Z8SM5W2WNCN0G8&pd_rd_w=qJKWh

These ones stopped my problems happening.
mumpungiso

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 09:07:51 AM

I think all usb 3.0 can be used, as long as it's good quality, whatever brand and from which country. Please go to the nearest and trusted computer store near you. Look for a rather thick and gold-colored usb 3.0 cable. That's it.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 10:15:43 AM

If using "the extension" it has a bit differences although not significant such as signal interference and resistence, so it better not to use "extension" as long as with normal usage can be handled.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: