Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:33:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going to happen with bitstamp down  (Read 3389 times)
maximum

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:57:37 PM

Who owns bitstamp?

his name is nejc kodric.

use google  Smiley
MEpatriot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:11:10 PM

So how does one guy hold such power over bitcoin, in general, through ownership of another company not tied directly to bitcoin?? 

I find that both weird and troubling.
maximum

Activity: 44

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:09:02 PM

So how does one guy hold such power over bitcoin, in general, through ownership of another company not tied directly to bitcoin?? 

I find that both weird and troubling.

because bitstamp is the best platform for bitcoin trading in EU right now in my opinion, site works flawless.

try bitcoin.de instead and it starts with the account creation being a pain in the ass.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:09:49 PM

Market manipulation they're trying to prevent a crash.

you are hysterical.. Smiley
bambou

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

As far as i know There is nothing weird nor wrong concerning bitstamp. The company is located in UK and the owner is somehow involved with the bitcoin foundation and promoting bitcoin in a "honest" way. I would be more concerned about mtGox and their obvious problem regarding fiat withdrawal, which may become even more complicated whilst bitcoin gains in value and thus dramatically increase the amounts in stake. At some point it might just become impossible to withdraw cash over this exchange. Hence a possible shutdown?!  Undecided

Non inultus premor
Chancellor

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:33:22 PM

As far as i know There is nothing weird nor wrong concerning bitstamp. The company is located in UK and the owner is somehow involved with the bitcoin foundation and promoting bitcoin in a "honest" way. I would be more concerned about mtGox
True. When I've decided to have some adventure with bitcoin, I've applied for account verification on both MtGox and Bitstamp. During a month I've got Bitstamp account verified, managed to earn my first $50, then to loose them yesterday ;-). Anyway I'm still a learning noob, so kinda expected this Wink. MtGox is still processing my verification and just changed "10 working days" to "20". It turned to be good for me as in the meantime I've read a lot and learned about where the MtGox vs Bitstamp spread comes from. So I've avoided "let's buy on Bitstamp then sell on MtGox" trap...

Yesterday incident in fact raised my trust in Bitstamp. I guess they were dealing with DDoS attack, and they dealt it well. The rest of their site and the trade system were running continuously. I was able to withdraw my BTC0.x to my private wallet while the main page was out. Transaction was processed in less than two minutes (and confirmed a minute later). Maybe I've panicked a bit, but anyway now I have decided to hold and wait, to get my $50 back ;-). Of course I will be back on Bitstamp then. In fact I have not withdrawn fiat from Bitstamp yet, but there are no complaints on Internet, while MtGox problems are broadly described. Then if MtGox finally approve my verification I will maybe sell some small amount of BTC there and try to withdraw fiat, to see for myself how many months it takes...

BTC: 1GRx2H5esyFTucZCt1eX9tjpoqfMrbVHMT
MEpatriot

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:42:18 PM

I don't care how well or efficient or patriotic or smart or handsome the janitors are at bitstamp.

My point is, one individual should not have the power to affect the price of BTC as much as this cat apparently does.
Chancellor

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:51:36 PM

My point is, one individual should not have the power to affect the price of BTC as much as this cat apparently does.
Apparently you seem to overestimate his power.

BTC: 1GRx2H5esyFTucZCt1eX9tjpoqfMrbVHMT
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:59:41 PM

I don't care how well or efficient or patriotic or smart or handsome the janitors are at bitstamp.

You must be new here. Back in the day we had MTGOX and that was it. They single handedly caused a number of huge crashes. Slowly but surely more and more exchanges are opening up. This does not happen overnight and we are a much better situation today than we were a few years ago. In any case, short of a completely decentralized exchange system (which isn't even possible today) then there will ALWAYS be market corrections due to exchange issues, all we can do is reduce them by having more exchanges. There is probably an optimal number though because ultimately an exchange is only worthwhile if there is enough volume.

P.S nothing wrong with Bitstamp at this time, this thread is fucking bullshit.
MEpatriot

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:01:23 PM

You must be new here. Back in the day we had MTGOX and that was it and they single handedly caused a number of huge crashes. Slowly but surely more and more exchanges are opening up. This does not happen overnight and we are a much better situation today than we were a few years ago.

P.S nothing wrong with Bitstamp at this time, this thread is fucking bullshit.

OK...good to know.

I am new to all this, and glad to hear we are trending towards more and more decentralization of the levers of power v.v. bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: