Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 05:28:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-01-07 CNN International - World's second Bitcoin ATM to open in Hong Kong  (Read 837 times)
_wayfarer_ (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 08:10:45 PM

Not much of event, as far as bringing huge amounts of new adopters, but considering the historical nature of this, and the fact that it was posted by CNN, I thought it was worth a mention:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/06/business/bitcoin-atm-hong-kong/

Also, it's promising that Hong Kong at least seems open to the idea of Bitcoin, at least as far as an ATM is concerned.

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:48:02 PM

Thanks for posting. Funny to see how small CNN's world continues to be:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-16/helsinki-unveils-europes-first-bitcoin-atm
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 10:18:38 PM

Unfortunately, I can't get particularly excited about "to open". We've seen that before, and a lot of the time the opening never materializes.

Call me back when the first customer uses it.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:44:41 PM

We'll wait and see. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hong Kong bans them in 3...2...1....

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:52:59 AM

Aren't there like many ATMs now?

I saw a lamasu at the last nordic bitcoin conference.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 03:55:54 AM

Aren't there like many ATMs now?

I saw a lamasu at the last nordic bitcoin conference.

I'm guessing there's a map of them somewhere...

https://lamassu.is/maps/

Not many details, and I'm not sure if these are functional yet.

Robocoin is who made the Vanouver machine I believe.  And as far as I can tell, this is the only machine confirmed operating at this moment.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:36:26 PM

For those of you who are familiar with HK monetary policy, it should be no surprise at all that they'd allow bitcoin in full usage there.

...The only problem is that it's the last country on the world that needs bitcoin. It and Singapore have such strong currencies and hands-off government regulation that I wouldn't be surprised if they are the last two countries to adopt bitcoin.

I guess this is news, but it's not particularly helpful to our cause.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
_wayfarer_ (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 12:55:09 PM

...The only problem is that it's the last country on the world that needs bitcoin. It and Singapore have such strong currencies and hands-off government regulation that I wouldn't be surprised if they are the last two countries to adopt bitcoin.
That's only if you think bitcoin is only useful as a replacement base-currency.  What about making international payments/micropayments, or low-fee currency transfers?  Plus, it opens the door for potential investors.  Not this one ATM machine, but a liberal policy towards BTC does.

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: