Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:12:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coin miner for android  (Read 1848 times)
tomyc (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:39:58 PM

Hi everyone

below is a new android application for bitcoin and litecoin mining.
It is a port to android of pooler's open source cpuminer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ycdroid.coinminertrial

please give it a try and let me know your comments/bugs/suggestions

thanks
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:52:57 PM

Isn't the probability of phone battery building up unventable gas right around 100%? I've gone through three separate batteries on an S3 just running a WiFi router application through it. Battery starts to bulge, back panel stops latching on the phone correctly, so I toss it in the "explosion-resistant" pouch in the back of the property in a hole. No place to properly dispose of it anywhere close. I reckon I'll have a weapon of mass destruction within the next couple years. Cheesy
tomyc (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 11:07:55 PM

could it really become so hot and ready to explode?  Smiley

I had it running on my S3 for several hours and did not notice anything abnormal.
But I just wanted to test the application and not to really generate any big number of shares.
I am not an expert in coin mining anyway, just a developer.

In any case, the application lets you choose the number of cpu cores that it will run on.
if you choose less than the max cores it will not use the full cpu power. also, if you put it into background android by design will not use the max cpu power. of course this means less khash.

thanks
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 11:17:16 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 11:49:00 PM by Kluge

could it really become so hot and ready to explode?  Smiley

I had it running on my S3 for several hours and did not notice anything abnormal.
But I just wanted to test the application and not to really generate any big number of shares.
I am not an expert in coin mining anyway, just a developer.

In any case, the application lets you choose the number of cpu cores that it will run on.
if you choose less than the max cores it will not use the full cpu power. also, if you put it into background android by design will not use the max cpu power. of course this means less khash.

thanks
They definitely will explode, or at least bulge to the point where they're unusable without securing the battery with duct tape (I'm not sure if this was their idea of a fail-safe). Cheesy I should've given a time-frame, though. In my experience, the battery's bulged the back panel off after 2-4 months (it runs the WiFi app 24/7, keeping in mind it doesn't come close to full CPU load). None of the phone Li-ion (including both the Samsung brand the phone shipped with and so-called "upgrades") appear to have vents in them. Frankly, I think it's pretty shit product design, but I haven't found any safe ones for it.

Li-ion battery explosions are pretty spectacular to see, but you wouldn't want it happening anywhere near you. Anyone using should keep close tabs on their battery and whether or not the sides are flat or bulging. The easy solution would be to simply take the battery out while the phone's under significant load, instead using just the charger. ETA: I'm guessing the issue is from poor handling of a charger on the phone's part, with the battery effectively being overcharged if battery's @ 100% and still plugged in. Should that be the case (and I don't know), you could alternately unplug the phone while it's under significant load, then plug it back in once the battery's mostly discharged - then just repeat the cycle so you don't have an issue where battery is @ 100%, phone is under significant load, and battery is still charging.

Image of woman's thigh burned as a result of above explosion. Fairly graphic/disturbing.

(ETA2: Mistyped. They're LiCoO2 ["Li-ion"], not LiPo. ETA3: Took issue up with Samsung since I'm kind of curious about the issue. Sorry to turn this thread into an off-topic "yer battery's gonna 'splode" alarmist discussion. Just something which bothers me a good bit since I'm always buying new batteries. Will post if Samsung gives "good practices" on how to avoid issue.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: