Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:39:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinye: why are people mining with impending cease & desist lawsuit?  (Read 3462 times)
flipstyle (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:02:52 AM

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/07/bound-2-happen-kanye-west-demands-coinye-programmers-shut-down-the-digital-currency/

Just curious. 

Immediate outlook doesn't look good for this coin.  I mean it's not like a rare baseball card that was 'recalled' from the factory but snuck out to the general public in small numbers.

I mean, if these coins get shut down, would having any in your wallet carry an inflated premium?  Wouldn't a cease and desist also mean trade services would risk legal ramifications if they added it?

I just don't understand. 
Dudey109

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:08:30 AM

You cant close it down once its released to public and blocks are mined.
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 01:10:32 AM

It's too late, they can do nothing to stop it.  Cheesy

PyroTekNeks

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:12:07 AM

Oh Kanye. You so crazy.

http://scrypt.cc?ref=baaai
^^^SCRYPT CLOUD MINING SITE!!!^^^
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:14:49 AM

this is just going to pump the price even more
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:15:33 AM

I can see him asking for a % of profit from any exchange that trades it.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
flipstyle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:16:33 AM

I don't understand how you can say that, though.  

It still arguably could be taken down due to them using his likeness on the coin.   Doesn't matter if it's pre or post release, they could have the developer website taken down and demand for his likeness to be removed from the coin, which would eliminate it's appeal and gimmick.  

What you guys are saying makes no sense.  It's just like if some developer created an 'ipadd' (with 2 d's) with an altered apple logo on the back.  Even if it's already on the market, Apple can still take down all distributors and order all remaining units not already sold destroyed.

I know, it would be easier to 'elude' authorities due to the cyber nature of alt coins, but eventually it would get shut down if the kanye was persistent enough.

Are you guys saying these coins could be worth even more simply as a 'novelty' item if the developers are shut down?  Why/how would you even use them then?
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:19:42 AM

They can not stop the coin from being mined and they can not stop transactions, but they can cease and desist any website related to the coin, this included the block explorer of course, so they can make life difficult for the coin, but they can not kill it, in the end the torrent sites are still alive no matter how many cease and desists and how many domain name seizures and how many ISP blockades they are getting, and if all else fails you can always go darkweb

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:20:20 AM

trade them on TOR...like to see that bitch-ass gayfish stop that.
oldmarsh

Activity: 247

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:21:36 AM

I don't understand how you can say that, though.  

It still arguably could be taken down due to them using his likeness on the coin.   Doesn't matter if it's pre or post release, they could have the developer website taken down and demand for his likeness to be removed from the coin, which would eliminate it's appeal and gimmick.  

What you guys are saying makes no sense.  It's just like if some developer created an 'ipadd' (with 2 d's) with an altered apple logo on the back.  Even if it's already on the market, Apple can still take down all distributors and order all remaining units not already sold destroyed.

I know, it would be easier to 'elude' authorities due to the cyber nature of alt coins, but eventually it would get shut down if the kanye was persistent enough.

Are you guys saying these coins could be worth even more simply as a 'novelty' item if the developers are shut down?  Why/how would you even use them then?

Shutting down a website isn't the same as shutting down the currency. And it isn't easy to shut down a website, especially one hosted in another country. EXample: The Pirate Bay.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:26:16 AM

If the coin is successful and the only thing stopping it from getting on and exchange is the name. Well then, just change the name. Even slightly so that its not infringement anymore. With the FishKonye image and the Coinye name isn't his anyway. We may already be okay.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:29:45 AM

Cheesy I think it's time to point a couple miners at Coinye.
flipstyle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

I understand what you guys are saying.

But the whole (supposed) point of alts is to offer alternative means to fiat and money distribution for goods/services.  

If (and I do mean if, since it is still hypothetical) Kanye does win a case against coinye developers...then what good would the coin be other than just another novelty?  It certainly would not gain adoption from large companies because they would not want to find themselves liable for accepting something that violates law.  

Isn't this the whole point?  Or am I missing something here?  Why else would anyone want to 'invest' in a dead end road other than to pump and dump?
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1248

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 01:36:06 AM

1 Judges signature away from a epic DDoS attack from 'Muricaaaaaa

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
gnode

Activity: 492

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:39:16 AM

Just change the image to Kim K's fat ass.

Oh the coin isn't big enough for that, sorry!
Scooby903

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:42:06 AM

But Koindashians are fine?  I fucking hate Kanye West... Roll Eyes
9971ea1a

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:45:46 AM

Best altcoin advertisement i've ever seen  Grin
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:54:47 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2016, 05:11:55 PM by Starlightbreaker

because we got fucking balls.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 02:24:16 AM

Ah, finally, an altcoin with a real and useful purpose: to test whether blockchain based currencies can in practice be shut down effectively by law enforcement / legal means...

Excellent! Cool

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cremstopper

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:29:14 AM

Any publicity is good...

NEM
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: