Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:59:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinye: why are people mining with impending cease & desist lawsuit?  (Read 3464 times)
Pangia

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:35:27 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 02:50:23 AM by Pangia

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/20140107-WSJ-coinye.pdf

Indeed this is a test for crypto.

Here's something interesting from the Cease & Desist letter:

page 2.

1. cease and desist from any and all use of the mark COINYE WEST and any versions of that mark including COINYE;

And then there's this part.

page 3.

If you fail to comply with these demands, we will notify the cryptocurrency community at large of your infringing actions and pursue all legal remedies against any business that accepts the purported COINYE WEST currency.  Specifically, Mr. West will pursue claims of contributory trademark infringement and contributory unfair competition, among others, against any entity that accepts or exchanges the COINYE WEST currency.

My question now is this: are mining pools "exchanging" the coins when they transfer them to a miners wallet?

An opinion from someone familiar with laws governing these types of issues would be great because the term "exchange" may not carry the same meaning in Trademark infringement suits that the average person might think that it means.

A quick example is New York States Criminal Sale of a Controlled Substance 5th Degree a Felony (NYS P.L. 220.31)

S 220.31 Criminal sale of a controlled substance in the fifth degree.
  A person is guilty of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the
fifth degree when he knowingly and unlawfully sells a controlled

So if Bob hands his friend Joe a dime bag of coke and didn't accept any money or any thing else at all, did Bob "SELL" Joe cocaine?
YES!

Because the definition of sell in the New York State Penal Law states this.
substance. 220.00 Controlled substances; definitions.
  1. "Sell" means to sell, exchange, give or dispose of to another, or
to offer or agree to do the same.

So this what I mean by "EXCHANGE" -- what's the exact definition of it when it comes to Trademark Infringement?

I wish COINYE Devs the best of luck.  

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
flipstyle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:39:58 AM

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/20140107-WSJ-coinye.pdf

Indeed this is a test for crypto.

Here's something interesting from the Cease & Desist letter:

page 2.

1. cease and desist from any and all use of the mark COINYE WEST and any versions of that mark including COINYE;

And then there's this part.

page 3.

If you fail to comply with these demands, we will notify the cryptocurrency community at large of your infringing actions and pursue all legal remedies against any business that accepts the purported COINYE WEST currency.  Specifically, Mr. West will pursue claims of contributory trademark infringement and contributory unfair competition, among others, against any entity that accepts or exchanges the COINYE WEST currency.

My question now is this: are mining pools "exchanging" the coins when they transfer them to a miners wallet?

I wish COINYE Devs the best of luck.  As was stated by Mark, this is a test of crypto.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at.

I think some people may have thought this was a frivelous ploy against the coin, but it is obvious Kanye appears to be taking this very seriously.  And if anyone is bat-shit crazy and egomaniac enough to pull it off, it would be Kanye.  Plus he's not exactly the poorest man in the world.

The coins would be virtually worthless except for a 'keepsake' momento, relic, or collectors item.  If you cannot exchange them for goods or services, then it really is no longer a currency because it has no use.

And I'm not too entirely sure how much people would be interested in the coin if they had to completely change the name and logo.  After all, the entire draw and allure of the coin is simply based off Kanye's name/likeness.
avidwriter

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:43:03 AM

they could be exchanged for goods and services, just not converted into fiat.  the two parties would have to decide what they're worth at the time of the transaction. 
LosPitufos

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:49:55 AM

where to get wallet?
flipstyle (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:51:09 AM

they could be exchanged for goods and services, just not converted into fiat.  the two parties would have to decide what they're worth at the time of the transaction. 

Didn't you read the article?  

Kanye is moving to go after all companies that also offer acceptance/services using the coin.  What business in their right mind would offer goods and services for a known blacklisted/illegal alt currency?  That means they'd just be giving away goods for free in exchange for worthless bits of data.
Pangia

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:51:19 AM

Please see what I asked above.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
chrissibel

Activity: 336

Got Crypto?

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:00:43 AM

Damn first he interrupts Taylor Swift during her award and now he wants to interrupt something he has no clue about???
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:37:30 AM

Damn first he interrupts Taylor Swift during her award and now he wants to interrupt something he has no clue about???

Hahaha, He thinks the name should have been Kanyewestcoin
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:38:46 AM

In no way at all is this coin the same as Kanye West

spelt different, pronounced different, lawyers have no hope

on the off chance they do succeed how valuable would the coin become then

remember duff beer

cartons sold for over $100 each when they got banned

Grin
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:46:56 AM

+1

booyah

Grin
Mr.V

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:48:21 AM

This cease is bushit... does that mean erry black man that wears gold shades whos names is kanye? They cant stop shit...
"Freedom" (William Wallace)

BTC:1NwEE7C2hVLSNGwSrFvsYgTrKddCvfhRwY
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:49:50 AM

dude, he is on this. i bet he owns a nice thick share and is threaten it to sue to get public attention.

mine this mofo before it goes sky high
Joshuamcd22

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:52:21 AM

I don't see this on his twitter:

https://twitter.com/cryptsy
Jerfer

Activity: 121

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:52:35 AM

It's fake: https://twitter.com/cryptsy

I almost got banned from the coinyecoin IRC room for posting it you assholes.

But I was pretty damn dumb for believing it.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                ✯     Get Your FREE Coins NOW!        ✯
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                        ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:56:42 AM

You actually thought somebody will say "fuck him" on a twitter post?
Especially Vern?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Jerfer

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:02:34 AM

Especially Vern?

I overlooked it and saw what I wanted to see I guess. It was retarded on my part.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                ✯     Get Your FREE Coins NOW!        ✯
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                        ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:03:47 AM

LOL, I thought the fakeness would be obvious  ROFL....

~BCX~

But really , why did you use withdraw? and not remove?
I laughed so hard at that part.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Jerfer

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:04:25 AM

Lmao, gosh what a night. This has probably been the most exciting night I've had with crypto, but I only started Dec 13.

niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:06:32 AM

Especially Vern?

I overlooked it and saw what I wanted to see I guess. It was retarded on my part.

Well , nice learning experience Smiley
But seriously , don't do this "see what I want to see" when looking at traffic lights.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
rhyso

Activity: 129

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:06:49 AM

yeah, its his image and he made clear that he don't like the coin, I wonder if megacoin could face the same in the future.

3 major differences with Megacoin is that;

1, It is still uncertain whether or not Kimoto (megacoin developer) is Kim Dotcom or not.
2, Kimdotcom is a web developer and is already into crypto in a big way. If he was opposed to megacoin he would have said something already.
3 Kimdotcom is into internet freedom, it would be hypocritical for him to sue something based on bytes and 'megabytes' that is on the internet and on a computer... for having mega as a prefix.

Personally I think kimoto is kimdotcom... no matter what any douche like hazzard or whoever can say...

It is what he has not said that implicates him in my mind.

Nobody knows for sure other than Kimdotcom or Kimoto whoever that may be.

I would like some coin west now, is there any other way to get them other than mining?

accrual of monetary value
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: