Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:06:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling my 5970 card - card works perfectly I just can't get linux to work.  (Read 1455 times)
qet (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 09:16:24 AM

Hi there

I recently bought this 5970 graphics card with the intention of mining bitcoins, but I have wasted so much time on trying to get ubuntu to work that I have decided to sell the card.
I got the card working in windows xp, but apparently you can't use both cores because of some windows + crossfire thing, so I gave up. Plus all those miners were very buggy and wouldn't run reliably. So I knew I'd be in for more work than it's worth.

Perhaps someone with more expertise and more free time than me can make use of this card.

Important info:
- I never overclocked the card. Just ran it on stock settings.
- I bought the card from a guy who just used it for gaming before he upgraded to some 6xxx crossfire system.
- No issues with the card.  You can expect over 550MH/s from this card - providing you have the skills to set it up Wink

My asking price is US$499 plus postage, from Australia.
Send me an email: rhettius at gmail.com if you're interested.

Thanks, gl everyone.

edit: here's some pics:
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4624/5970amedium.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1968/5970bmedium.jpg
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 09:26:17 AM

Anyone who can't get Ubuntu Linux to work should stop trying to install it onto their toaster and surrender their 'mancard'.  You do know that you need a computer to put that card into, right?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 01:50:35 AM

Anyone who can't get Ubuntu Linux to work should stop trying to install it onto their toaster and surrender their 'mancard'.  You do know that you need a computer to put that card into, right?

Wow quite the a-hole statement.

I'm not the one selling this card but I tried for two days to get my cards working in Ubuntu. I followed the guides, re-installed tried over and over again but kept getting errors it would never work for me. Im just running them in win7 now. Dont be a dick.
qet (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 02:54:34 AM

creighto, it's more the fact that I don't want to spend the time on it. I would be able to get it going given enough spare time, but when you work full time the weekends are precious.
the other point is that the current miners are buggy and unreliable. I would have to write more software to make them behave properly.
so, do you want to buy the card?
qed

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 03:19:11 AM

creighto, it's more the fact that I don't want to spend the time on it. I would be able to get it going given enough spare time, but when you work full time the weekends are precious.
the other point is that the current miners are buggy and unreliable. I would have to write more software to make them behave properly.
so, do you want to buy the card?

Pls, be less cocky. Miners are working and i don't believe any programmer can fail to install catalyst on linux. Anyway the card, shipping aside, is way overpriced for my country.

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
qet (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 08:41:38 AM

i'm referring to the fact that poclbm has to be restarted when it randomly 'fails to connect with bitcoin" even when bitcoin was and still is running.....

lucky for my i don't have such a dull profession as programming.

i guess you must be from taiwan and you live next door to an ATI factory?
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 08:48:42 AM

i'm referring to the fact that poclbm has to be restarted when it randomly 'fails to connect with bitcoin" even when bitcoin was and still is running.....

That's bullshit. I have >10 miners running constantly, never a single problem with it.

Maybe your card is dodgy?

I have seen a guy selling 10 of such cards for 350 euro each, but had a feeling not to go for them. How much do you want for yours?

EDIT: By "such" I mean there is no manufacturer logo on it, just no-name.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 02:09:39 PM

Wow quite the a-hole statement.

I'm not the one selling this card but I tried for two days to get my cards working in Ubuntu. I followed the guides, re-installed tried over and over again but kept getting errors it would never work for me. Im just running them in win7 now. Dont be a dick.

But I am a dick, can't change my nature.  It was a snarky way of me expressing my doubts.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitjet

View Profile
March 04, 2011, 03:39:40 AM

But I am a dick, can't change my nature.

Fair enough.
bitjet

View Profile
March 04, 2011, 03:40:25 AM

That's bullshit. I have >10 miners running constantly, never a single problem with it.

Maybe your card is dodgy?

I have seen a guy selling 10 of such cards for 350 euro each, but had a feeling not to go for them. How much do you want for yours?

EDIT: By "such" I mean there is no manufacturer logo on it, just no-name.

My two cards have no logos on them either. They came out of an alienware pc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: